Reading Room Front-End Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Reading Room

1 Interview Review

Front-End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Reading Room (London, England) in January 2015.

Interview

Absolutely atrocious interview, the worst I have ever experienced. I made my way promptly in time to their offices and checked in with reception and asked for the person who arranged the interview, I was told she no longer worked there and someone else would be with me (this set alarm bells ringing as I arranged the interview only 3/4 days prior). Half an hour after my arranged time someone showed up to greet me (I highly suspected they werent even expecting me). She very briefly discussed my skills, experience interests and ambitions in about 3 questions then moved on, no follow up questions to my answers. Clearly didn't give a toss.

I was then given 10 year+, falling apart exercise book and 20 minutes to complete some sort of logical tests, these were fine and not really difficult but it felt incredibly archaic and a bit demeaning that I was being assessed on such a test.

Next up was the worst part, I was asked to recreate a fairly basic website from an image (as a front-end dev this was my moment to shine!) However I was handed a very old, slow, windows laptop with an unheard of IDE (I have not touched Windows for 5-6 years and am very familiar with my IDE, webstorm) I expressed my unfamiliarity with Windows and asked if I could use my own laptop that I had bought with me. I was told no, the reason? because I "needed files on their laptop" (two stock picture files and one text file for copy and pasting). I was given an hour to do this task.

After that the interviewer woman didn't even bother to come back in and see how I had done and I was met by one of the lead developers whom I had a brief chat with (The only good part of the interview) then shown out. If I'm honest he should of been doing the entire process even though the first lady was an actual recruiter/HR for the company.

To top things off, while working on the website task there were two employees playing ping pong directly outside my (glass) interview room the entire time. They were being very loud and distracting, I got the impression they were playing and being loud deliberately to show off how "cool" their workplace was. I love chilled out working environments but playing for over an hour, loudly, next to an interviewing candidate. Seriously?

I had read some terrible things about ReadingRoom before I interviewed and thought they were probably just disgruntled employees but everything I had read was apparent (I didn't get the pleasure of meeting the apparent megalomaniac CEO thank god).

It was also made clear after a bit of googling the company essentially forces its employees to write positive glass door reviews (notice how they all read pretty much the same) and "buy" their numerous awards.

Do yourself a favour and don't even bother applying here. There are so many better places (as I have now realised). In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't get an offer otherwise I wouldn't be where I am now.

I have never, ever taken to ranting online before so this should emphasises how much of a toxic company it seemed (Employee reviews seem to agree). Stay clear. Margaret, sort your company out.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about 3 questions in total..   1 Answer
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.