Rolls-Royce Graduate Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 19 Jul 2017

3.5

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied in mid-November and got the invitation for the online psychometric tests, which I happened to pass (not very tough, but do not guess, if you are unsure, just leave it because it affects your overall percentile). Moving on from there, my application was screened from HR and got selected for the assessment centre (1st week of January 2017), so I was waiting and after 3 months I got the assessment centre invitation. Don't worry if you haven't heard for long, cause they will call.

On the assessment centre day, it was 12 of us. Everyone was nice and friendly, especially the assessors make you feel very comfortable and the hosting ladies are extremely nice too. Make sure you approach each and everyone you meet and have a few words with them, ask about their daily routine, how they got in, etc.

Talk to the other candidates and get to know them, because you are not competing against them if everyone on the day meets the standard, everyone will get an offer. Six of us had to do the personal presentation first followed by the numerical reasoning test. The personal presentation is the most difficult out of the four. You really need to explain why you want to join RR and draw on real life situations when explaining your competencies. Also, smile all the time, they like it and makes you less nervous when they smile back.

On the group activity, we had to build paper aeroplanes, have an eye on the time and follow the instructions very carefully. There was one member in our team who was trying to control everyone, not sure how the assessors took it. Make sure you speak and contribute in some way. At the end you need to present what you did, at the end of this, they will ask you questions like "how would you have done something differently?:, make sure you answer this question even if someone else answers, just add something, they note it down.

The technical interview - people say it's difficult but not really if you're a very technical minded person. Basically, if you are asked a question, which sounds very unfamiliar, apply your principals and make sure you say something without staying blank/lost, they like it and tend to support you when you do this.

Networking is very important, do speak a lot. It's important you leave a good impression, cause at the end of the day they all sit down to talk about the candidates. All the best!!!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Rolls-Royce

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England) in November 2016.

Interview

This will cover the assessment day.
    Competency interview: look online for ALL the competency questions available. I found around 50 and answered them all at home, in preparation. Noted, some of the answers are going to be relatively similar one to another and RR asked me between 5 and 10 questions. But this interview went surprisingly quick, I was the first one out.. to be point were I was really scared I screwed up. Not a great way to start the day, although I kept a positive attitude and move on.

Technical Interview: so the general view I found while preparing was.. you can't prepare. Not exactly true, depends on your character type. As always, be sure to tell the thinking process to the other person as you are thinking about the answer. If you are confident and quite talkative (like me) just behave as normal: say out loud what you are thinking, ask questions (!), put "maybe, could be, probably". Try to find the logical link. ie they asked me about a part located just after combustion, what it was, what material it was. I had no clue. So I started talking about blades, well this doesnt look like a blade, probably a blade holder? material lets see.. well high temperature, high pressure, metal that can sustain these temps.. titanium? my logical thinking was right, but the material was inconel (steel + nickel). So talk! for the other type, introvert, quiet, there is a solution. A friend of mine went a couple of weeks later and he's the introvert type. He researched up and down left and right about fatigue, materials etc (topics will depend on the position). At the start of this interview they'll mention what topic you like at uni and he intelligently mentioned the one he researched. He got asked about these topics. His feedback praised his technical abilities (obvs).

Group exercise: make sure to involve everyone, crack a joke every now and then. Ask for everyone's opinion. Be loud, in a controlled manner. Really liked the activity.

Ability test: same that you took online.

Presentation: you gonna be able to sing it. There's a good article on Forbes about Steve Jobs and his astonishing presentation skills. He wasn't born with them, he practiced for days beforehand. Once you read the script, repeat the presentation for at least an order of magnitude more time that the presentation itself; presentation of 5 minute? repeat it for 50 min. In this case, at least practice for 100 minutes. I didn't mention once during the entire day that I was interested in Aeronautical. Why? partly because it's true, partly because every average Joe is going to say that. Not gonna stand out. When writing my script, I put a big fat question, in capital, at the top: WHY WOULD THEY GET ME INSTEAD OF "INSERT HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL INDIVIDUAL HERE"? You gotta find what makes you stand out. Worked abroad? excellent, blabla quickly adapt to different cultures and ethnicities. I can speak XYZ language, RR worldwide company, excellent.

Regarding order, it was Presentation, Competency, Ability test, Group, Technical for last.
    Hope it helps

Engineering Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England) in October 2016.

Interview

Did this twice - once for an internship, another time for the graduate programme. As soon as you turn up you're sat down with the other candidates and it's clear from the get go that Rolls Royce only choose the extremely high calibre - I was meeting people with 3 internships under their belt, probably the highest calibre group of engineering students I'd ever met... so in hindsight I'm not sure how I ended up at the assessment centre and I felt like I didn't really stand a chance. But oh well, still gave it my best shot. You then meet the assessors and have a chat with them prior to the competency interviews starting, so it's first impressions from the very start!

Competency interview - 1 hour long. Starts off with a 10 minute presentation about yourself (you are informed of this when receiving your assessment day offer) - who you are, what your skills are and how you'd 'add value' to your role within Rolls Royce. Most people have one interviewer, I happened to have two. Next the interviewer will probably have a relaxed chat with you, talking about points you made in your presentation and going over your CV. My first experience they ripped my CV to shreds - my second experience, they didn't even have my CV infront of them and it wasn't mentioned! Then come the generic STAR based competency questions.

Numerical tests again but on paper. Exactly the same as the online ones.

Then there's the group task - 1 hour long. Split into two teams of 6. If I remember correctly there was an assessor watching each individual candidate. My first time, the team had to design a marble run out of paper and cardboard to get one coloured marble to the end of the run before the other, and you have to decide as a group to buy 'supplies' such as scissors and tape with a budget. Both teams failed, but they're more assessing how you work within a team, time keeping skills, etc. My second time, we had to design and 'manufacture' six identical paper planes to a business brief for a fictional airline company, once again buying 'supplies'. The planes had to fly six feet and once again both teams failed. At the end of each task they ask you to present your ideas to the room as a group with no real time to prepare, so be ready to expect that. Assessors may ask questions such as 'what would you do differently, what went well?' etc.

Then is a 45 minute buffet lunch - no time to relax, you'll be eating and drinking standing up with the assessors (have fun balancing your meal whilst trying to converse with the assessors with a half full mouth of curly fries).

Second interview - technical. 1 hour. One interviewer. Started off with the interviewer asking about my technical interests and experience, where my expertise lie, my strengths, my weaknesses, etc. Then according to this, he/she will ask you questions based on the area of engineering you want to go into. I was given the luxury of choosing my topic of questions (Stress Analysis and FEA), but I heard from someone else that after they explained their interests, the interviewer thought it'd be nice to ask them questions completely different to their area of expertise. The interviewer guides you through the questions, showing you diagrams along the way and asking you to interpret them. They're trying to analyse how you work through problems and approach new technical situations, so don't be worried if you don't know the answer. In my first experience I was given a picture of a gas turbine engine, asked to identify some critical components and then the interviewer walked me through a problem of a sensor going wrong in the turbine, how will I identify the problem? How will I check for errors? What variables could be affecting the problem (pressure, temperature, etc)? Then they give you a choice of engineering topics to talk about in 'layman terms' for ten minutes, which is literally you talking to their face about an area of engineering for ten whole minutes whilst they sit in silence... which was pretty weird. I chose microstructure. Trying to assess your communication skills and ability to articulate technical knowledge maybe? Who knows. Overall the technical interview was a much better and more relaxed experience than I was expecting.

An exhausting but rewarding experience - 7 hours straight of not letting your guard down, so get a good nights sleep before. There's quite a lot of time spent sitting around waiting for the next stage - in this time we had two grads come speak to us to do a sort of FAQ session which was interesting and useful.

Very efficient process overall, found out that I'd been rejected the next day. But they give you phone feedback which is appreciated, even if it was pretty vague and not very useful - the general feedback for me was 'you had a great positive day, you did really well... but not well enough'. Meh... back to writing soul destroying online applications for me I guess

Interview Questions

• Competency:
      When have you not planned for a situation and it's gone wrong?
      How have you dealt with a difficult situation?
      How have you had to change your interaction with people of different personalities to get the best out of the team?
      What is your plan for the next 10 years?
      Can you talk about anything in the current climate that would affect business?   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce.

Interview

Application process as follows:

Online application
    Online assessments
    Assessment centre

The assessment centre itself was tough, but overall an enjoyable experience. In the technical interview i was asked lots of in depth questions about aero engines, which was not something I had prepared for having applied for the nuclear programme. Despite this i did well at the technical interview and was the best candidate on the day. Unfortunately I wasn't offered the job as i achieved a below average result on my maths test on the day. What a massive error. Make sure that you practice doing them!

Interview Questions

• Despite appling for a nuclear role, was tested on aero engines   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England) in February 2016.

Interview

Begins with an application and online tests. If you pass these then you get invited to an assessment centre. You have to give a 10 min presentation about yourself (that you prepare in the week before) then get questions asked about it as well as some competency questions. Then some sort of practical group activity where you have to build something and test it. Finally there's a technical interview where they test more of the way you work things out, rather than how much you actually know. Also you'll be hanging out with the assessors all day so make you interact with them and make a good impression!

Interview Questions

• Name one time you influenced someone to changing the direction of discussion, topic or project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England) in November 2015.

Interview

Having kindly been put up for the night, the day started at breakfast meeting other candidates (very easy to spot!)
    All got a taxi over to the site together and mixed with the non-hotel folks briefly before "networking" with some of the interviewers over coffee.
    The morning consisted of some HR stuff, resitting the numerical test and a personal interview with a prepared presentation and some competency questions.
    More networking at lunchtime! A good chance to meet a lot of very interesting people with some cool experiences.
    Then time for the technical interview. It was with one of the people that I'd spoken to at lunchtime which relaxed me a little but left me with no questions to ask at the end (I'd already probed all of his thoughts experiences and kind of wanted to escape at this point after floundering at a few of the technical questions!!)
    Team exercise involved building a structure and there was a chance to speak to a graduate after that.
    Enjoyable but absolutely exhausting day.
    I wasn't for them though and when I phoned to arrange feedback they never got back to me

Interview Questions

• The real curve ball: Give an example of a time that you didn't get along with someone   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisbon (Portugal)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Lisbon (Portugal)) in November 2015.

Interview

Online assessments that had to be done in 10 days. This was only the first part of the recruitment process.

There were 5 different assessments:
    Situational Judgement Questionnaire
    Verbal reasoning
    Numerical reasoning
    Rules and interrelations
    Competencies

Interview Questions

• Sequences where we had to find the next elements using logic. Just a few time to complete.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Derby, England) in November 2013.

Interview

aptitude test logical and numerical, and personal presentation,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce (Birmingham, England) in January 2013.

Interview

Pre-Interview communication was good, Post interview the worst treatment one could get. It just showed the attitude of the HR. No result has been provided to this date.

Interview Questions

• The questions were of usual nature nothing tough or unexpected.   Answer Question

Engineering Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rolls-Royce in July 2010.

Interview

Good overall HR experience. Consist of different competencies test, team exercise, and end with two interviews. Pretty standard competency questions, technical questions are base on a list of topic.

Interview Questions

• Explain in laymen terms what is single crystal microstructure? (technical)   Answer Question

Negotiation

no room for negotiation, take or leave

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.