SAS Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 Jul 2018

2.9

Computer Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC (US)) in June 2011.

Interview

Initial interview with direct supervisor of the position interviewing for, followed by a phone interview with the department director and then a group interview with all supervisors in the position's department. After that, a background check and drug test was performed.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about SAS and what we do?   1 Answer

Computer Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC (US)).

Interview

Worked as a temp through Executive Temporaries.SAS Operations Manager spoke with me and offered the job with salary and benefits. He explained all details, salary, etc… I had worked as a temporary for one month and was then hired on full time. They were then familiar with my work ethic, personality, and ability to do the job and were satisfied with my abilities. So they did not need to ask too many questions. I think this was a smart way to hire. I was required to sign a confidentiality agreement. I also submitted a drug test and background check, but I was not required to pay for either of these. The drug test was done on campus and the SAS Healthcare Center. I was pregnant at the time I was hired and did receive some Healthcare benefits despite that being a pre-exhisting conditions, so they were very generous in that respect. Couldn't say whether that would be true still, today. Healthcare laws have changed since I was hired.

Consulting Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC (US)).

Interview

Phone interview with HR, 1:1 with hiring manager, 1:1 with key direct reports of his, and mine. 100% agreement to hire me by all parties needed. Note: this varies from position to position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation is possible, but tricky. Salaries are a bit low due to all of the benefits.

Associate Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC (US)) in April 2011.

Interview

Applied for this post online. The online posting mentioned that there would be a training academy for newly hired people before being inducted in their consultant workforce. The first interview was over the phone. It was technical, but the interviewer did not go into a lot of technical detail surprisingly. Most questions revolved around the resume. Technical questions revolved around basic database concepts (such as joins, concurrency etc.). The interview went smooth. The second was a 1:1 interview with an HR person. They asked some behavioral questions and inquired about salary expectations. For the final interview, I was given a topic to present on in front of a panel of interviewers. I prepared a 10-slide presentation that went fairly well I felt. They asked questions based on what I presented, and for my opinions on some things related to the presentation. The panel also asked questions about my resume, and whether I would be interested in a technical or an enablement role.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an instance where you had to work with a difficult person, and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

First offer was a little low I felt, so I asked them to revise it. They asked what was I expecting, and I told them. They came back with another offer that was fairly close to what I wanted, and I accepted.

Associate Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty straightforward! It started with a phone interview after submitting my resume at a career fair. The phone interview was behavioral and then we had an in person interview on SAS campus and it was pretty much all day. We toured the campus, got feedback from recent hires, and then did the interview.

Interview Questions

• If you had to explain to someone who has never done so, describe the steps in which you would pump gas.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview

One phone call from HR, in person, general interview with hiring manager, if initial interview OK, technical test, aprox. 3-5h coding. A4 sheet of task to code (C++/C# or Java)

Interview Questions

• N/A most questions (99%) are from highly technical guys (principal developers) so expect only tech questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Agency negotiated based on my requirements

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC (US)

Interview

I grew up minutes from the main SAS Institute campus in Cary and always heard great things about working here. A friend showed me an open position that matched my skills and experience and even though I wasn't actively looking for a new job I knew I had to apply. Three months went by without a word on my application so I figured that I had been passed over but then one day I got an email from HR asking me to set up some time for a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was surprised to find that this call was very laid back and comfortable. I was asked typical questions about my background and capabilities but the manager seemed more interested in getting to know me than in grilling me which was a welcome change from most interviews. A few days after our conversation I was contacted by HR again and asked to set up time for another call with some tech leads from the team. This call was much more intense and some of the questions seemed a bit ridiculous but I guess I made a good impression because the next day HR contacted me and asked me to come to the campus for a series of interviews. As a side note here, I found it interesting that SAS took so long to start the interview process but once it gets going they want to move as quickly as possible.

For the on-site series, I began by meeting the hiring manager for a quick introduction and an overview of the day's events. From here I was led to the office of the executive overseeing the division for my first round and it was not a pleasant start. The executive clearly hadn't looked at my resume prior to the interview and when they'd ask a question they would either play on their phone or get up and grab a snack from their mini fridge while I answered. They also criticized my resume for not having particular coding languages or technical skills that weren't even required for the job. When this round was done I was brought to another room for a technical round with the same tech leads I spoke to on the phone as well as a few additional engineers. Once again I was left disappointed. Out of all the individuals in the room only one was friendly. The rest either clearly didn't want to be there or were intent on trying to make me sweat. One of the leads in particular asked most of the questions and for some reason they kept focusing on hardware questions, think computer or electrical engineering, instead of computer science or coding questions. I even asked if this job was strongly tied to hardware and though they confirmed that it was not they still continued to focus on hardware. When this round ended I was brought to yet another room for a conversation with a lower-level executive and was glad to find that this interaction was reminiscent of my phone call with the hiring manager. This executive was very nice and made a real effort to keep things relaxed . Once this round was over I was led to another room to meet the development team and much like the previous round I found them to be very accommodating. They seemed to actually be interested in what I had to say and in making a good impression. From here I was led to another room for a discussion with HR.

The purpose of this round is really to sell the candidate on SAS. The rep waxed poetically for over thirty minutes about all of the wonderful comforts I could enjoy if I got the job but I noticed that they hadn't once touched on core compensation so I began to ask specific questions on what I could expect should I get the job. As it turns out the offer, while competitive, would be far from the industry-leading package that HR would have you expect. The salary, health insurance, PTO, and 401k are all above the midpoint for the area but not by much and there was little room for negotiation. There was also a lack of common benefits for the industry like having the option to occasionally work from home or having flexibility in one's schedule. Perks like having free snacks or an on-site doctor are nice but they are also secondary to core compensation. Bear in mind that many perks also come with a catch. For example, the on-site daycare has a years-long waitlist based on seniority and unless you are fortunate enough to get an office with a window you'll be stuck in a grey-walled room with one fluorescent light. The simple fact is that SAS is trying to rely on their reputation from ten years ago instead of stepping up their game.

To wrap the day up I was brought back to the hiring manager's office for a quick recap then went home. I looked back on the interview process and realized that based on my experiences with the tech leads and division executive that they were not people I would want to work under. I also knew based on the potential package I would receive and the perks that were or were not offered that SAS was not the right fit for me. I called the HR contact, thanked them for their time, and let them know I would be pursuing other options.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SAS Institute in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online, took 6 months to hear anything back.

Received an email from a woman in HR at SAS requesting to set up a 1 hour phone interview with two software engineers from a team at SAS.

Scheduled the interview, received a call the day of the interview and spoke to the manager of the team I would be working on and one of the lead software engineers on that team. Both asked me questions from things on my resume as well as some light technical and language specific questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the runtime of searching through a linked list?
      What is the runtime if that list is now doubly linked?
      What is polymorphism?
      Give an example of polymorphism in C++.   1 Answer

Software Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview

Submitted resume online on the SAS portal, then got contacted for a phone interview by the lead guy on the team I was applying for. After that, I was asked to come in onsite group interview. It was the entire group of potential coworkers (4-5) and we just talked about my experiences and general questions. No hard technical questions.

Interview Questions

• It was mostly talking about resume and general person questions.   Answer Question

Software Tester Interview

Interview

The interview took around 30 mins. It was mostly the interviewer explaining the work environment and job responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Is this something you would like to do? (I did not like some of the responsibilities)   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.