SAS Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

SAS Institute Interview Questions

Updated 2 Dec 2017

2.9

Email Deliverability Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

Approach with caution. Fairly standard interview process, but an offer was made and rescinded two days apart.

I participated in one HR screening call and three one-on-one calls with the hiring manager and others of her team, which went very well. I was invited to spend a day with the team in a series of face-to-face interviews at their campus in North Carolina.

These meetings went very well, and I provided far-reaching consultative advice based on my 20 years in the industry. They had described the role as a leadership position intended to build and grow a new business line to service their existing customers.

On my return from the interviews, I was offered the role. However, the offer was rescinded two days later when they realized that their job description did not align with what there current needs are. In a follow-up call with their HR representative, he explained that the role should be more junior than what they had been discussing with me all along.

It's perfectly acceptable for any company to have an internal debate over requirements for any particular role, but those discussions should happen before an offer is made based on a published description. In my 20-year career in the industry, I have never had such a breathtakingly unprofessional experience with a prospective employer. It seems to me that they were really looking for free industry consulting.

Interview Questions

• They picked my brain over industry best practices and strategies to grow a cloud-based e-mail marketing platform that might compete against certain dominant providers in certain verticals or segments. Excellent questions, but I think they were surprised by the answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made a quick offer. I countered, and the offer was rescinded. There was no indication that their original offer was their best and only. They did not re-counter. They indicated that they realized they needed someone far more junior to lead the new business.

Analytical Interview

Interview

I applied through our major's website, and they require CV and two reference letters. After about one month I receive email from the HR and a phone interview. Three people interviewed me, including the whole team's manager, my later manager under him, and a senior developer.

Interview Questions

• They mainly ask questions about my research and some technical questions in my research area.   Answer Question

Graphic Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Chicago, IL (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

I got a response to interview for a Graphic Design role and it stated the interview would take place in Google Hangouts via chat. It did not state the next steps of that process so I simply responded that I was interested and what else do I need to do to get the interview rolling? To which the SAS representative asked what my google ID was. After I responded with my ID they were quick to say "Hi" in the chat window and asked if it was ok to begin the interview at that moment. Mind you, I do work and it was not clear to me how long a google chat interview would take, so I asked if it would be ok to schedule a later time. We agreed on a time later that day.

In the mean time the SAS rep asked for my phone number to verify identification codes they were sending me via text. I was sent 3 different codes and they asked me to repeat the code every time. At this point I'm a bit confused. Why am I getting these codes? What do they mean? This interview process is new to me. So of course I asked about the codes and the SAS rep said that they needed to verify the codes to create a company email to conduct the interview with. This made little sense to me.

When it came to our agreed time for the interview I simply said "Hello" in the chat window and asked if it was still a good time and there was nothing, no one, nothing for a whole 1/2hr. Then they respond with "Are you free now?" Then ask for another code they sent and then another....Finally after verifying 2 more codes they texted me they ask "What is your full name, current address, have you heard of our company before and what makes you perfect for this role".

Ok, they have my resume, why are they asking for these basic questions? As for why I was perfect, I began to write and the rep says "I'll be back". I'm pretty fed up with the unprofessional manner this already has become not knowing why they need verification codes, they don't live up to the time expectation and disappear mid-interview....yeah, be right back meant 1.5hrs later. It's now 6PM and the interview was supposed to start at 4PM!

I simply wrote this back:
    Hi! We agreed on a 4pm central/5pm eastern interview today.

I believe it had officially started around 440PM central today and you stated that you would be right back.

I waited 30 minutes for this to begin again and can no longer wait.

My time and talents are worth the position but if this is how business is conducted in trying to find talent for SAS I'm not sure SAS is worth my time. "

Interview Questions

• State your name, address and why you are perfect for the role...   1 Answer

SAS Institute Response

30 Oct 2017 – Sr. Communications Specialist - Corporate Communications

It has come to our attention that people posing online as recruiters are attempting to get personal and financial information from candidates who believe they are applying for jobs at SAS. To... More

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at SAS Institute in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by someone within Talent Acquisitions to set up a meeting with the hiring manager. Had a great conversation with the hiring manager who told me on the phone he'd like to set up time to speak again.

Again, went through the TA person to set up an interview with the hiring manager and members of his team. Met via WebEx, to share writing samples, which they recorded...

I followed up with Thank Yous to the panel, waited a week and didn't hear anything. Reached out to the TA contact and the hiring manager - no response. Finally after 25 days got an automated email saying I wasn't chosen.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about experience related to the role.   Answer Question

Senior-level Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Raleigh, NC (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was notified by HR rep to set up a time to interview via phone with hiring manager. The interview went rather well, and the hiring manager even invited to connect on LinkedIn. I was told that I was a perfect match for the position and that they would like to bring me in in a couple of weeks for a more extensive interview. I sent a thank you email and several follow up emails over a period of two months to the hiring manager and never heard back.

My application status on their site still showed as "under review."

I finally got an HR rep to respond after nearly two months, only to be told that the position was being filled internally.

Considering how senior this position was, I found it rather unprofessional and a waste of my time.

I guess I had the wrong picture drawn in my head of SAS.

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SAS Institute in September 2017.

Interview

Cold Call from an out of state phone number in the middle of the work day, sounded like a teenager claiming to be a tech recruiter, spit out a bunch of buzz words and couldn't define them.

Interview Questions

• "Looks like you have a lot of like systems administration uh experience, like can you tell me like an example of when you uh like integrated enterprise solutions to your like environment?"   1 Answer

Office Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview

This was just a phone interview with two on the managers in the department. They were very nice and easy going and the phone conversation only lasted about 15 minutes.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SAS Institute.

Interview

Applied online, heard back within two weeks. Easy and short interview, make sure you answer questions with confidence. The questions I was asked were all behavioral, there were no technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a time you dealt with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Get a phone interview with the hiring manager in a week. Them, I had on-site interview that I met with the hiring manager, managers, and research scientists.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my resume, previous work experience, and my dissertation.   Answer Question

IT Service Desk Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SAS Institute (Cary, NC (US)).

Interview

I believe the phone screen is to verify you are an actual person and have a pulse.
    1st round was with the three shift managers. They each ask a few questions about your experience. They don't go over the details of the job. The job posting is vague and not accurate.
    2nd interview was with next level management. They ask some of the same questions and i guess just try to figure out if you are competent.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.