SMRS Creative Copywriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.5

2 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Creative Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SMRS (London, England) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process was long — taking over a month or so, it was thorough and I felt I really got to know and like the people and the company.

Interview Questions

• About my personal interview experience   1 Answer

SMRS Response

4 Dec 2017 – Senior Marketing Executive

Thank you for your feedback, we're glad you enjoyed the interview process and we're sorry you haven't received the job offer. Please keep an eye on our careers page and social media accounts for... More

Other Interview Reviews for SMRS

Creative Copywriter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SMRS.

Interview

I applied online on the 29th of August, and received a rejection email on the 28th of September. It stated that my experience was carefully reviewed, and the decision made to discontinue my application. I was thanked for my interest and invited to continue it through following their activities. Lastly, I was asked to provide feedback through this site. As such, my detailed feedback follows.

I will not be making any effort to follow SMRS activities, as they provided no useful information about the specific nature of their lack of interest. There is little use in claiming a determination to treat candidates with care and attention while offering only generic justifications. Did they like my work? Did they feel that I lack skill in a particular area? What experience, exactly, would they have me pursue? I know none of these things. Furthermore, citing a nebulous issue with "experience" is one of the emptiest rejection moves, right alongside stating that someone "didn't seem like the right fit".

Ultimately, sending such an email under the guise of providing support comes across as rather self-serving. They don't want me to hire me now, and won’t give me a detailed reason, but still, it seems, want me to eye them from afar and, presumably, plot a course to eventually winning their approval, even as they abstain from providing any notion of what that would involve.

Though it is something of an aside, I feel it's relevant to touch on the oddly-dominant position 'experience' holds in the pantheon of desired candidate strengths. There are myriad professionals around with plenty of experience but no significant competence, after all, yet it's cherished like a rare and precious jewel by many, and cynically used as a bland excuse by many others. It’s always served as something of a Catch-22, but the problem has greatly worsened in recent years, with even entry-level positions now demanding varied experience.

In rating the overall experience as negative, I don't mean to single out SMRS in any major way. It's more the case that the average application experience is quite negative, and this one hasn't been particularly exceptional. Certainly, if someone at SMRS did indeed genuinely review my work, then I would like them to know that I appreciate the effort. Getting even that much consideration is frustratingly rare.

In conclusion, I would like to be clear that my intention with these comments was to offer constructive criticism, not to be petty or insulting. I agree that feedback is extremely important, and felt that I needed to be entirely honest about how it came across from my perspective. I only hope that it helps, even if just in a very minor way!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to provide feedback through this site, even though I never actually had an interview.   1 Answer

SMRS Response

3 Oct 2017 – Marketing & Communications Executive

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your application for the role of copywriter. We are sorry that you feel that we didn’t provided sufficient constructive feedback on why you were... More

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.