STA Travel Travel Expert Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 34 of over 63 interviews

2.5
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at STA Travel

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at STA Travel (Glasgow, Scotland) in Jan 2020

Interview

Quick phone screen and then called in for an interview which was face to face at the store. I got called back for a second interview next day. I had to complete a police check and also sit and watch a consultation.

Interview Questions
  • What do you like about travel?
    1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at STA Travel (Sydney) in Sep 2019

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call the next day which turned out to be a 15 minute phone interview which I thought was quite tricky. After this I had an interview with the store manager which lasted around half an hour and I had to fill out a basic geography and maths quiz as well.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a time when you had a different point of view to someone and you made them see your point of view.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at STA Travel (Melbourne) in Sep 2019

Interview

Group Interview process they are looking for passionate and resourceful people who they believe to fit with their company profile/culture/ethics. The group stage was great, I did however find the interview section soulless perhaps this was just my luck but those interviewing gave no interaction which was exactly opposite to what the morning was trying to establish.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at STA Travel (Brisbane) in Aug 2019

Interview

Applied a couple of weeks before. I have very limited skills in sales but strong background in customer service. Brief interview over the phone. Followed by a store manager and regional manager Interview. Dressed too formal, be comfortable. They want travellers not office workers.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STA Travel (London, England) in Mar 2019

Interview

A 2 hour group interview in the evening 7.30pm-9.30pm. The group activities involved passing a pen around. A large group discussion about being trapped on an island (this involved all 15 candidates). We were then given a written task to respond to 3 emails. Then we had 10 minute individual interviews at the end. I got the impression that the interviewers were only looking for a particular type of demographic (upper class gap year kids). I have been to more than 30 countries but the interviewer was dismissive of my travel experience. He did not appear to be listening to any of my responses. We were told that there would be a second group assessment for those who were successful. The whole process seemed quite tedious.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

STA Travel

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STA Travel

Interview

Very low key, friendly chat about the experiences you have had whilst travelling and your experience with sales. Called me just a few days after I filled out the online application.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

STA Travel

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STA Travel in Jan 2019

Interview

It was a full day process starting with the group activities to test teamwork and leadership. Then a written test. After that, some people were cut. Then more group activities, more cuts. Then one-on-one.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at STA Travel (Melbourne) in Nov 2018

Interview

I got invited to the recruitment day which involves a group interview and if successful then a 1 on 1 interview in the afternoon. the morning you are split into groups and you are given an individual quiz of some general geography/ travel questions and some questions calculating things like commission %. You also need to write a reply email to an unhappy customer scenario and how you would follow up with them. after this you are given a group activity of getting off a dessert island. you are given about 5 mins individually to pick 8 items from the list and rank them in importance. Then as a group you need to discuss and order in importance which items you would choose as a group & why you would take these items. Then your group is to give a presentation to the other groups explaining why your chose each item. Generally you a given a short break while the recruiters discuss, I think everyone made it through this part, not sure how they inform anyone if they don't. then you come back and are given around 5-10 mins to individually pick a location, (can be one you've been to or not) make some notes and then sell it to the group. We were told to remember STA's target market when deciding a holiday to sell. After the presentations you are given a bit of a lunch break (food is not provided so bring your own or find something at a near by cafe) When returning they will split you into groups again, This is when you find out if you have been successful to getting through to the individual interview or if you are getting feedback and home. If successful you will be given an interview time, which could be almost straight away or a bit later depending on how many they have to interview. my interview went for around 20-30 mins, I was with 2 Staff (the interviewer's where anyone from store managers, to people in roles at head office to the manager for Victoria) Asked the general interview questions which I will try list as many as I can remember below. was advised the base rate is about $40,000 but you will earn commission and incentives on top of that depending on how successful you are. They did remind us a lot that this is a sales roll. After that interview they advise you if you are successful you will have a 1 on 1 interview with store managers most likely at the store you will be working at. It's also good to have some questions you may want to ask them about the company. I made it to the next round and interviewed 2 days later at one of the stores with 2 store managers. This had some of the same sorts of questions along with a few I think where to try assess personality to see if you will fit in the store. Also had 5 mins to read up on a tour of a country I hadn't been to, and then sell it to them. After this if you are successful the HR manager will contact you to fill out a form with 3 reference contacts. Training will be 3 days in store, I think mainly paper work and then 2 weeks at head office in a class room style training, to learn all the systems, and then you will do the same shifts as the manager the first 2 weeks in store so they can assist you.

Interview Questions
  • Quiz questions I can remember, But they may change: Where is located between Panama & Nicaragua? 3 airlines that fly to England with only 1 transit form Sydney? What would you be going to see in Uganda's Bwindi Impenetrable Forest? What landmark would you find in Agra, India? what country is famous for full moon parties? What country would you hike the Inca Trails? Where would you find the religious monument Angkor Wat ? Name 3 of the 5 countries that border Switzerland Maths questions, you can use the calculator on your phone, some were simple adding some where working out the %. eg the price is $500 and you get 25% commission. How much commission would you get in dollars? Some of the 1 on 1 interview questions I can remember: Introduce yourself Why do you want to be a travel agent? Why do you want to work for STA? Why are you a good fit/ why should we hire you? How do you provide good customer service? How do you handle difficult customers/ situations, give example? What motivates you? Plan/ goals for the next 3 years? Where have you travelled? Have you been to one of our store? Have you used STA before? Strengths/ weaknesses? Have you worked with KPI's ? your experience with targets? How did you go with targets? / How do you ensure you make your targets? Would would you do if you weren't meeting your targets? What would you do to ensure a sale? If a client comes in and wants to book a trip to a destination you haven't been to and know little about, how would you go about helping them out to create a potential sale? What are 5 questions you would ask if someone wanted to book a holiday but had no idea where they wanted to go? Some more questions I was asked at the store 1 on 1, some are a bit odd If Flight Centre quoted someone $1500 for flights and you knew the net rate from the supplier (before earning any money) was $1000 how much would you quote the client? Are you ok knowing how much you will be making off clients? How would you build a client base when you are starting out? Would you rather take $1 off 100 people or $100 of 1 person? What would an ideal weekend be (in your state) if you had unlimited money? There is a zombie apocalypse, all your loved ones and animals are safe on a farm away from danger, what would you take with you?
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at STA Travel (Melbourne) in Nov 2018

Interview

Group interview with about 16 in the group. Split up into teams of 4 with two STA employees in each. - Introductions within your group with a 'fun fact' about yourself - Maths & general knowledge test, along with an example email from disgruntled customer. You have to show what your response would be *15 minute coffee break* Some people had been told they were not successful at this stage. Next part, pick a destination and sell it to everyone, talk about what you think people are going to want to know. *Lunch break, you would then come back and either be given a time for one-on-one or told you were not successful" One-on-one interview with two store managers. Working off a document with questions (how do you handle stress etc) and throwing out random questions (what animal would you be and why) You then get a phone call within 48 hours advising whether you're going through to yet another interview. This time it would be in-store where you would potentially be working with the store manager and a manager from a nearby location.

Interview Questions
  • Are you looking to stay in the position as they're looking for long-term commitment.

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at STA Travel (Brisbane) in Jun 2018

Interview

About a week after I applied online for the job, I got an email inviting me to a recruitment day that was another two weeks into the future. The recruitment day was split into the morning - which is group assessment. Then one-on-one interviews in the afternoon, if you're invited to come back for them. The group assessments involved going around your table (there were three tables of about 7/8) & introducing yourself. Typical topic was a favourite trip we've taken & why. We then had to take a basic quiz with some geography questions, as well as basic sales & commission questions. Don't stress if you know every answer! The point is to showcase that you have at least some knowledge of landmarks/the world, & are capable of basic math. Because you will be needing it for this job! Following that was a group activity with your table involving being stranded on a desert island. The point of this exercise is to show that you're capable of working as a team. Don't shy away, but also don't charge ahead & think that being the one in the spotlight is going to work for you! Last of the morning stage is to sell a destination to the room. They gave us 10 minutes to come up with a trip within a given time frame - then get up in front of everyone, one by one, to sell it. This is definitely the hardest part if you don't like public speaking! But so long as you appear confident & throw in some facts/jokes - it'll show that you're passionate about the place & that's a great selling technique. A lunch break was then had, to which we returned to the interviewers handing everyone out an individual envelope. It either had an interview time, or a "thanks for coming" note inside. It's probably one of the best ways to deal with having to send half the group home after not making it through! I then waited until my allotted time (mine was 2 hours after finding out - so be sure to have something to keep you occupied), then went in to my interview. I had four people interviewing me, which was daunting! But the guys at STA are so relaxed, they made it feel like a chill conversation more than an interview. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was laughing more than I was answering questions! It's at this point that they're wanting to get to know more about you & your experience. So they'll ask the typical questions along the lines of "What sales experience do you have?" & "How have you dealt with a difficult customer before?". After that they let me know that they'll be in touch within the next couple of days to let me know if I got through to the next stage. This involves picking me out a store location, then meeting up with the store manager of that particular store. True to their word, two days later I got a phone call from the store manager of the store I had been chosen for to ask if I could come in for the last interview with her that afternoon. I headed over & was taken outside of the store to a local coffee joint to enjoy drinks while we waited for the regional sales manager (who was one of the four interviewers from the recruitment day). The questions were very similar to the recruitment day, with a couple of extra different ones. This interview was definitely more to see if myself & the store manager would get along, as well as if the store manager thinks that I would be a good fit for the store! Again - super relaxed. This whole process barely felt like an interview, which was great! They then said that they think I would be a great addition to the team & said they'll be emailing me out details to provide them with my references so they could perform the necessary reference checks. I gave my reference details on a Thursday night & just received the phone call informing me that I have gotten the job today (Wednesday)! Including the fact that my store manager had the last two days off work - which is the only reason why it took a couple of days longer to inform me.

Interview Questions
  • If a client wants to take a trip to a location that you haven't been, & know very little about... How would you go about helping them out, & creating the potential sale?
Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 Interviews