Saga Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Saga Group Interview Questions

Interviews at Saga Group

2.8

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Saga Group.

Interview

Initial telephone interview, then interview in person, then split into teams to design a product and sell it to the other team, from there we waited to find out if we would get a further interview in the afternoon

Database Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandgate, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Saga Group (Sandgate, England) in December 2016.

Interview

This was by far the worst professional interview in my career, and the approach adopted at the outset should be a warning siren to all potential employees. If general attitude displayed through interview continues to employment, I am not surprised at the alarming levels of staff turnover this employer experiences.

1. Submitted CV on Saga careers website.
    2. Invited to attend HQ at Sandgate.
    3. Attended interview in small office with (assuming) line manager and HR representative.
    4. Interview lasted about 15 minutes, as very clear that they didn't think I fit the role (I actually did fit the role advertised, very well), and from being in the building and the first ten minutes of interview I no longer wanted to work for the organisation and gave terse answers to questions. Given no opportunity to ask my own questions and left to find my own way out.
    5. Received rejection via email few days/a week later.

AREAS OF CONCERN:
    1. When greeted at reception, the (assuming) line manager made no attempts to conceal looking me slowly up and down. (I was wearing formal black businessware). When she reluctantly offered to shake my hand, she not only made no eye contact, but she looked away, only engaging contact for 1-2 seconds. She walked ahead of me to the lift and wasn't interested in my responses to the small talk she made.
    2. Walking through the office, a lot of staff were clearly miserable and stressed. I actually saw one employee discretely crying at her desk.
    3. During interview, it was clear that the line manager hadn't taken time to read my CV fully.
    4. The line manager interrupted my answers for no good reason (e.g. relevance/clarification/time).
    5. The line manager discredited my previous experience, and was unable to draw any parallels with the industries of healthcare and insurance.
    6. The line manager didn't regards academic/study experience as in any way relevant and only accepted employment as a source of experience, so good luck graduates!!! E.g. the role required SQL knowledge. She asked if I "had actually used SQL in employment", I said no, but attempted to explain that for 5 years I'd conducted research using advanced SQL in study and in voluntary positions and was at advanced level, having designed multiple databases and installed SQL servers for charities. She cut me off halfway, by raising her hand (as in "silence").
    7. Clearly no regard for education. E.g. My Open University education was described as "an attempt to better myself". In the tone delivered, this was designed to be insulting.
    8. Clearly no regard for work undertaken in charities. E.g. when I explained that my background is knowledge management within a national healthcare charity, her response was "ok, but we're about making MONEY". She wasn't interested in understanding that finance is a key concern to charities and just as much (perhaps more) creativity and skill is required to break even.

Really worrying.

Interview Questions

Saga Group Response

4 Sep 2019 – Recruitment Lead

Hello there,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review and for remembering your interview from 2016 in such detail.

I can assure you that this is not the interview process that we follow as a business and I would like to talk to you further to learn more about your experience so we can rectify this immediately.

Please contact me directly on gary.nice@saga.co.uk

Kind regards,
    Gary

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Saga Group (Folkestone, England).

Interview

Had 2 interviews and some tests which some were individual tests and also group testing which was really cool as they tested all skills needed for the role. Everyone was really friendly and made the day really fun and interesting.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broadstairs, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Saga Group (Broadstairs, England) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone interview followed by in person interview/training day around 2 weeks later.

Process consisted of two interviews, along with a teamwork-based group activity.
    The interviews were both conducted face-to-face, with one personality and skills based, and one based on previous experiences.
    This was followed by an hour spent observing a Saga employee during a phone call to a customer.

Advice: Only apply if willing to commit to the job long-term. Saga are more keen to accept applicants who are looking for a career within the company.

Interview Questions

• What have you learned from previous work experience that you will bring to SAGA?   Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Saga Group (Folkestone, England) in August 2016.

Interview

I was called in for an 'assessment day' which consisted of a meet and greet of managers and recruitment staff as well as the group you was with that day. You were split into groups and would each do a different task/activity or interview so that no one was left waiting around everyone was doing something throughout the day. There were two interviews both of which were very professional however the interviewers made you feel very relaxed at all times and were very pleasant to chat too. After this we had a lunch break of 1hr then after that we continued with all activities till everyone had compleated all of them. We then had a team building exercise and that concluded the day. Very enjoyable day and found out if we were successful or not two days after assessment day.

Interview Questions

• In my competency interivew I was asked to tick what was most and least like me. after this they would ask why you chose what you did for example.

"you ticked that it was 'most like you' to like setting goals to achieve, please explain why this is most like you with examples"   1 Answer

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maidstone, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Saga Group (Maidstone, England) in January 2016.

Interview

The process started with a telephone interview where I spoke to a very friendly man and I was asked questions related to my CV and my previous experience. I was then put on hold for a few minutes and then told I had been successful!
    For stage two I was emailed a series of tests (such as a mathematics test, a quiz to test how quickly I could listen to a voice and type at the same time, and a "spot the error" test).
    I was then invited to a recruitment day which was a group setting and we were given a talk on what the values of Saga are and what it is like to work for that company. We were also given the chance to ask any questions.
    The final stage was the interview, where I was sat in a room with two managers and asked a series of questions relating to the job role I had applied for and how my experiences relate to it. Both managers were very friendly and made me feel very relaxed!

Interview Questions

• Q: What experience do you have with working as part of a team?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folkestone, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Saga Group (Folkestone, England) in December 2015.

Interview

Saga have a HR driven policy of inviting external applicants to 'compete' for positions as part of a measurement/benchmarking framework. At that point HR exit the process meaning that the hiring manager can freely choose who they want, providing that the candidate gets past the 'later on' mandatory screening. This is something to be wary of as an external candidate because no matter how you perform, if the manager has a preferred internal candidate - perhaps a long term colleague or friend - then they will be on a predetermined path no matter how you do, making your interview a perfunctory one.
    The process started for me by meeting a recruitment agency, who told me they were seeing Saga the next day. Almost three weeks went by when I was suddenly invited in for an interview. A couple of days before some online tests were sent in. I feel I aced them but no mention of the scores was ever provided.
    The first online game showed three numbers e.g. 7, 11, 13 and you had to work out which was the furthest number from the middle one. A word game then came up where you had to pair up associated words e.g. fat, chubby, angry or fat, tall, thin. There was also a game with a rotating letter, I think it was the letter F and you had to transpose it in your mind. With three genuine shape rotations and a subtley different non imitator on its side and you pick out the phoney one. Lastly was the behavioural nonsense game where you have a choice of 4 words and have to pick the one that most describes you and the one least. These lists tend to have 4 inappropriate adjectives one time, then 4 possibles another.
    The interview itself was late, then the person who met me bumbled around looking for a room and then said that they were the original hiring manager but a reshuffle had happened and then suddenly a second person appeared and declared themselves to be the new hiring manager/interviewer. I talked to them both for about an hour, but you know as an interviewee when it is perfunctory or there is interest. Almost three weeks went by before the company bothered to notify the agency and then with no feedback other than, surprise, surprise the internal candidate had been successful.

Interview Questions

• Standard run through of CV from beginning to end with questions about certain roles plus the standard 4 to 5 competency questions. These are always about telling a little story to describe a behavioural compliance to the one that is wanted.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hastings, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Saga Group (Hastings, England) in September 2015.

Interview

Very strung out process. Will basically take you on if you're good looking,have the potential to make alot of money for them off the bat or just generally seem easy. And they always give you a different role to what you applied for.

Interview Questions

Saga Group Response

19 Dec 2017 – Recruitment Lead

Thanks for taking the time to provide the review and I am sorry that the interview process was not successful for you and I wanted to answer some of your points.

We advertise roles for 28 days so the process will take 4 weeks, we provide this information at the outset so I am sorry if you felt it was 'strung out' and we are always looking to make ways to speed up where we can.

We don't always give people roles that are different to what they apply for. We do, however, look to see where candidates might be successful in the business should they not be suitable for the particular role they have applied for. We want to give everyone as much opportunity as possible to begin a career with Saga.

With regards to your comment stating that we only recruit people that are good looking. They recruited me, so I know from personal experience that isn't true. From a professional point of view we do not make any judgement in the recruitment process on someone's looks. If you feel any member of the team has done this then please contact me at saga.careers@saga.co.uk so I can look into this as we are committed to a fair recruitment process for all candidates.

Regards
    The Saga Recruitment Team

Trainee Actuary Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Saga Group.

Interview

The interview process started with a telephone interview with the hiring manager, then I was invited to an assessment centre. The day was split into three parts: a case study, an interview and a group presentation exercise. There was also opportunity to find out more about the company and ask questions during lunch with employees of the department.

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Saga Group (Folkestone, England) in February 2015.

Interview

They ask you to rate on a scale, how like yourself certain sentences are. For example:
    "I work well within a team"
    Agree, Neutral, Disagree

There is about 10 different statements. Then afterwards, you are asked to explain why.
    You are then asked to give an example of this.

But, I used examples (multiple) for my explanation. Then, as if they didn't even listen to you, they ask you to give examples of when you've been like the following characteristic. I thought this made the interview tedious, boring and like my answers weren't being listened to.

Interview Questions

• Please give examples of why you said you agree that you are a confident person?   Answer Question