Salesforce Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Salesforce Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

Interviews at Salesforce

3.5

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce in September 2015.

Interview

First, I emailed with a recruiter who I'd been referred to. We talked about potential positions then she arranged for me to talk with one of the hiring managers. Although I was told I'd be able to talk with other managers about other teams, that never ended up happening. I felt like I was funneled down to this particular team right away.

After talking with the manager about the team, he arranged a coding interview screen over the phone. The screen involved getting the problem then working on it for 2 hours on my own before sending it off to the interviewer.

I was then brought on site for 5 45 minute interviews. Several were done using Google hangouts since the team is split across Seattle and San Francisco which seems pretty common there.

I received a verbal offer from the recruiter the next day.

Interview Questions

• Coding screen question was to write a command line program for managing component dependencies.   Answer Question

I was looking for somewhere less corporate and smaller. Employees talked more about how it's a great company and less about having interesting and challenging work.

Other Interview Reviews for Salesforce

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen where I was asked about past experience and some technical questions which weren't too much of a challenge to answer.

A few days later there was a remote coding activity which was done over a gotomeeting session. My experience with the remote coding session was awful! The task wasn't technically difficult but the gotomeeting experience was dreadful! The session would lag a lot and several times things locked up on the remote computer. I had to work in eclipse and was unfamiliar with that environment. I only ended up finishing about 50% of the assignment! The remote nature of this step in the process should not be under estimated!

I was surprised to hear back from them a few days later to schedule an on site interview! They understood that the remote coding environment can be difficult and liked what I did get done. The on site experience was excellent! There were some tough questions but overall it felt more like a conversation about technologies and techniques than a drilling.

Negotiation

The offer was more than generous I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA (US)) in December 2013.

Interview

Two one-on-one phone interviews. Then an interview with the entire team. Then a coding challenge that took some hours to complete and submit. It was a pretty thorough interview process, though not as thorough as some other Bay Area companies which often require Computer Science based questions to be answered or coded on the fly.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Salesforce (Palo Alto, CA (US)).

Interview

I applied online, and a recruiter reach out after a few weeks. I did 2 initial phone screens, a technical phone round and an onsite interview. Everyone was very friendly and professional throughout the process.

My overall impression regarding Salesforce's technical interviews is that they are software engineering focused, and interviewers are looking for systems-level thinking, knowledge of your claimed languages, and good coding practices more than just textbook computer science. Contrast this to Facebook, Google where you may be an accomplished engineer but get dinged in your interview for not having memorized the optimal implementation of heapsort.

Interview Questions

• OOP: how you would design a certain game   Answer Question
    • algorithm question: dynamic programming problem involving phone pad   Answer Question
    • domain expertise: describe and illustrate your projects in detail   Answer Question
    • systems design: how would you build a scalable data ingestion and reporting system   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

Take home project, phone interview, then on-site. I thought the process was well organized. The phone interview went a deep dive in the take home project, which was expended into an algorithm interview. The on-site was with 4 groups of 2 each, structured as design, algorithm, scala/spark, and date science. For the algorithm and the scala/spark interview, I was asked to go through the solution on the white board first and then actually coding on a macbook. The interviewers were very knowledgeable in the respective areas, professional and easy going. It felt to me that they were genuinely interested in learning my abilities and what I can offer if I joined the team. Although I went through a lot in 5 hours, it did not make me feel exhausted.

Interview Questions

• Mostly very practical questions that related to their daily work related to data science and scala/spark. As to algorithm, the question was something I never seen exactly before, but the solution was typical dfs.   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Salesforce (Boston, MA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

I had a very positive experience interviewing with Salesforce. The recruiter that I worked with provided a very good introduction to the company, the business unit that they were hiring for and available roles. She also made sure that my interests matched with theirs and
    also provided me information regarding career paths, benefits, work-life balance and social responsibilities which were important to me. I was able to reach out to her with any questions that I had and was also available beyond the 9-to-5 time slots which was a very big plus for me. The 4 hr interview process was a mix of technical, process oriented and personality evaluation discussions. Technical interviews involved design, back-and-forth discussions about design decisions, specific questions about programming languages and white-boarding designs. Interviewers also took the time to explain the existing technology stack and the direction forward. It was a very pleasant and good experience.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with Recruiting manager and she scheduled the 2nd round with Hiring manager and after that they scheduled a technical round with a ETL person and a BI person. Once they got the positive feedback they called me in person to salesforce office in SF for a whole day interview and after that they scheduled a final round with VP.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle scope creep   Answer Question
    • Differences with different Visualization tools, Which one do you like and why   Answer Question
    • Difference b/w different kinds of joins ? Use case for the cross Join   Answer Question
    • Order of execution of group by, order by and where clauses   Answer Question
    • How do you resolve conflicts   Answer Question
    • How do you transpose rows to single column with cama separated values in Webi reporting   Answer Question
    • Different to date() Webi functions that work at reporting and their differences   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

I applied online and received a call from an internal recruiter who arranged several interviews (phone screening, technical take-home challenge, onsite).

This was by far the best interview experience I have ever had. The process took some time, but everyone I had met with was very kind, professional and knowledgeable.

Throughout the process, I always felt valued professionally and as a person.

Interview Questions

• Multiple technical questions around web performance, user experience, responsive design, as well as behavioral questions, and why I wanted to join the team and Salesforce.   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salesforce in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process went really smooth. I am really surprised how fast recruiter and others worked. I got my offer letter within 2-3 weeks. People are really nice to talk to. The first process is telephonic interview asking OO questions. Then, second one is online screening test where you will be tested how to write code for real world problem. The last stage is onsite interview where had around 5 sessions. The questions were not so difficult. But, if you didn't go through leet medium/hard questions, you won't be able to solve them.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Salesforce (San Francisco, CA (US)) in August 2009.

Interview

The interview process itself is OK. The problem I am having is a few days later their HR called and told me most of the panel members have very positive opinions toward me and she "just need to collect a couple more feedback". And couple days later she said the group I originally interviewed with "had just lost the headcount", and "whether I would consider an opportunity at another group". Seems I was the candidate B for that group and candidate A had just accepted an offer. If that's the case why got my hopes up while in fact a guy was in front of me? Also the group manager I had lunch with had an annoying habit of staring at me constantly.

Interview Questions

• a 2 hours programming exercise with a simple file system command simulator   Answer Question

Has another offer. Does not want to consider another group at salesforce and more delays.