Shopify Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Shopify Interview Questions

Interviews at Shopify

2.7

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (Remote, OR (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

2 steps. 20 minute call asking just about you and then gauntlet which mimics support calls and live chat. You'll have to find the answers online while on the call/live chat.

Senior Content Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shopify (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

Where to begin? The position itself was open for close to 6 months and it took a total of nine weeks for a resolution. There were serious gaps in communication from HR. Things like updates about where they were in the hiring process, what to expect during the process, and how close they were to making a decision were seriously lacking. Many HR people communicate frequently with candidates. This was not the case at Shopify. From the beginning HR interview until the follow-up with the hiring manager (almost a month later) I didn't get an email. When I did get an email finally there was very little acknowledgement about the time lapse.
    To that end, a candidate shouldn't have to wait 3-6 weeks for a decision. It makes the company look unorganized. I was relieved I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your current job and what made you apply for this job at Shopify?   Answer Question

Retail Guru Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

It was an extremely long process. The first interview was 2 hours, then there is a test, then another interview and finally an in-person with the entire team. They clearly care you are more than what is on your resume. They are interested in people who know themselves, not just professionally but also personally.

Merchant Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (Remote, OR (US)).

Interview

The first interview for me was a high-level overview of my experience and interest in Shopify. From there, I had a "lifestory" interview that I really enjoyed. I went through my entire journey and how I had reached this point in my career and my life. Lastly, there were two interviews back to back with MSM leads. One interview was oriented around problem-solving and the other was more about your past experience and how it tied into suitability for the role.
    I was complimented throughout the process about my experience with marketing and e-commerce and honestly, it seemed as though I had the position. A week and a half later I got a very vague email indicating that they were going a different way and that I could try again for different roles in the future. I asked for more feedback so I could a) work to improve b) gain insight about whether or not I wasn't a fit for this particular job or any role with Shopify at all and never heard back. I honestly found it so disheartening after taking hours of time to be available for this process and not even getting anything actionable from the experience. What a disappointment. It is so rare to find great remote opportunities and since I live with several autoimmune diseases I was so excited to work for a company that would just care about my work and outcomes rather than me fighting to stay well and playing political games about my presence in a physical office. I didn't mention my disability in the interview, because I wanted to be hired solely on my merit, but what a crushing experience.

Interview Questions

• The interviews are very free form and casual. I would mostly just be prepared to talk about your journey, your core values, and skills.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

My interview process started at the beginning of 2019 and ended about a month later. Here are the things that I appreciated and didn't appreciate.

Things I didn't appreciate:
    1. My recruiter was quite unprofessional. They were located in west US, but the position I applied to were in Eastern Canada. Interestingly this led to my recruiter screwing up the time zone, which I thought would be a pretty basic task... in addition to that, they also tried to play it cool and act like a buddy, but they came off condescending and patronizing by asking a lot of questions in an exam-like way or a psychologist way. ("what makes you want to leave your current job, and why can Shopify keep you interested?")
    2. The "Life Story" interview was strange. They claim to use this as a way to tell if someone is a cultural fit, but I saw it as a way for them to peek through your privacy window. I was deliberately leaving out personal details when I was telling my professional story, but I was asked anyway.
    3. My interviewer (not recruiter) asks very open-ended questions, and because of the limited time, I picked a few aspects that I saw would be the best match for the job. After not getting an offer, I was told that those aspects are not what they were looking for. I wish he had told me, at least on a very high level, what he was looking for, so that I could tell him corresponding stories in my current work experience. Or steer the conversation into the direction he wanted with follow up questions. The product role is so versatile, it's a bit unfair to make the candidate guess the job description.

Things I did appreciate:
    1. They were a clear on the interview process. I know exactly how many interviews I have left during any step of the interview process.
    2. My interviewer, although I didn't enjoy my conversation with him (see above), is knowledgeable in the product space. As we talked through my product ownership experience is, he is able to ask follow-up questions that encouraged me to dig deeper into my design choices and priority considerations.

Interview Questions

• "What makes you want to leave your current job, and why can Shopify keep you interested?"   Answer Question

Customer Support Guru Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (Remote, OR (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

Life story interview with a member of the team. Really relaxed and no trick questions. Then moved onto the gauntlet where you have 1 hour to do 2x live chats, 1x phone call and 1x email.

The gauntlet was tricky, but the outcome is based on your customer service not your ability to provide the right answer.

I was given an offer dependent on references, but declined as I didn't feel like the role would be a good fit for me. The people I spoke to were wonderful, though!

Summer 2019 - Mobile Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify in April 2019.

Interview

I applied online sending my resume and the coding challenge they asked. One week after I received an email to do the Life Story interview, an informal conversation to talk about yourself and your experiences.

Interview Questions

• For the coding challenge, we had to use their API to fetch categories of products and the items of each category and create 2 screens to display them.   Answer Question

Executive Expansion Pack Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shopify (San Francisco, CA (US)) in August 2018.

Interview

I had a cold outreach email from one of their internal recruiters. Replied and quickly set up a discovery call. Then a longer hangout interview with someone doing a similar role. Then a call with my potential boss who was overseas. Then an in-house that consisted of different hangouts and in-person interviews with 4 people.

Interview Questions

• Having heard about the role what do you think you'll find the biggest challenge?   2 Answers
    • Tell me your life story (this is something the internal Talent Team are trained to ask and is an important part of every interview).   2 Answers

Content Strategist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

Overall, the process was disorganized which I'm going to attribute to HR inexperience. For example, they didn't tell me who I'd be interviewing with for the first interview, told me the wrong city location I'd be flying into, didn't have a formal process for travel expense reimbursement (I had to ask), the person who would have been my manager interviewing me didn't even know my name or have any questions prepared, no one walked me out of the interview, they sent me a writing exercise without giving me a timeline, etc. However, everyone was friendly and responsive when I asked them for clarification, and they were quite generous in the amount of time they flew me in. I had 3 video interviews - the first was a "getting to know you" screening, the second a "life story" interview, which really just turned out to be a resume overview with the HR recruiter and then a "content strategy deep dive", which wasn't much different from a portfolio review. Then I had to do a writing exercise. After, I was brought into the office for 3 in-person interviews plus a lunch. One was called a portfolio review and one a content strategy deep dive, but they were pretty much the same thing, just with different people. They did give me the option of whether or not I wanted to present my exercise. Overall, it was tough to get a true feel for what it would have been like to work there. I could tell they were trying to do the right thing, but their process just was still in very amateur stages.

Content Marketing (Remote) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Shopify.

Interview

Shopify has a notoriously long interview process, which is clearly explained on their careers website. I think I got about halfway through, which consisted of three interviews. First was a phone screening with a recruiter (typical introductory questions), followed by a video call with the same recruiter for a “life story” interview.

This second stage deserves some explanation, although you can find lots of comments about it online—apparently every Shopify candidate does a life story interview. I was nervous about it because, despite researching the process, I really didn’t know what to expect. In reality, the approach was quite refreshing compared to traditional interviews. You’re asked to pick a point in your life (say, high school) and walk the interviewer through some of your experiences and interests—things that led you to where you are today and influenced your career development. It’s all very casual and conversational, and you’ll be asked guiding questions along the way (but it is hard to gauge how you’re doing in the interview, because it mostly seems to be an exercise to see your personality and “fit” with the company—not focused on the role you’re applying for at all). Shopify’s documentation says you don’t need to do anything to prepare for the interview, but I’d recommend at least noting down some talking points and activities or accomplishments you may want to cover.

The third stage was another video interview with the team lead. It wasn’t until this time that I got to find out any specific details about the role. And this would be my only objection to Shopify's atypical approach: due to the order of the interviews, you don’t get information about job duties and expectations until the middle of the process. In my case, the position turned out to be significantly different from how it was described in the original job listing. If this had been made clear upfront (“The type of role we’re looking to fill has changed since you applied; are you still interested?”) then that likely would have saved all parties involved a lot of time and effort.

Interview Questions

• What is something you’re looking for in this role that maybe you didn’t have in your previous position?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.