Sky Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Sky

3.1

Assistant Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sky (London, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Internal recruiters short list for each department, I've had a great experience as my interview was set up by recruiters and given all the information I needed to prepare and where to go and whom I was meeting with.

Interview Questions

• All questions very specific so a good idea to be really prepared. Interviewers write down all your answers as they generally are interviewing at least 10 people for the role.   Answer Question

26 Mar 2018 – Community Manager

Hi, thanks so much for leaving us a review of your experience, we're really happy to hear that this was positive for you. I'm sure Paul would love to meet for a coffee to hear about your first few days once you've started with us. Best wishes, Leanne

Legal Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England) in September 2009.

Interview

Original communications via an agency. Went to two interviews. Both times i had a great impression of the people. Initially it was very difficult to navigate around the buildings. It's easy to get lost at Sky.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time when you made a mistake - how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Quick and straight-forward.

Finance Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England) in December 2016.

Interview

application including three or four 250 word questions and CV (has a space for cover letter but isn’t needed), online tests, skype interview, day assessment centre.
    Whole process was fairly quick and heard back about final outcome before Christmas. Interviewers were friendly and structure of whole process was clear throughout. If you had any extra questions they were very easy to contact and would get back to you quickly too.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England).

Interview

Home coding test

A Paired programming excercise at Sky Offices. The worst part was how it ended, let's just say with a lack of politeness and manners. I hope it was an isolated incident.

The paired programming excercise tested abilty to write a good algorithm and examine how a candidate worked in a paired programming environment.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sky (London, England) in December 2013.

Interview

First Sky recruiter gave me a call and we had friendly chat about my skills and experience. During second stage I had to complete a task provided by Sky Identity team (code a log parser in Java, Scala or Groovy).
    Third stage face-to-face interview (discussion about my work experience).
    At the end I got a call from Sky HR during which they tried to force me to accept a lower salary claiming the app I wrote wasn't good enough. I asked for explanation. I got none. It was the only disappointment during the whole procedure.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sky (London, England) in April 2019.

Interview

1) You apply via the application form on their website. You're required to answer basic screening questions. (Why this apprenticeship, etc). Everyone generally gets through this stage.

2) You then take a SST (Situational Strength Test). You had to rate yourself 1-10 based on different scenarios. (For example, are you hard working? 1-10)

3) Unattended Coding Test. They then send you a brief to create a simple website. We had to make shapes flash by pressing keys on our keyboard. You can use any language you want, eg Javascript. Just using HTML5, CSS, JavaScript should be enough to complete this task.

4) Phone Interview. Just like any interview. You can use the STAR technique to answer their questions. Why SKY? How did you go about the unattended coding test? What do you know about us?

5) Assessment Centre. Just want to point out that this was an apprenticeship program. However, they didn't even tell us that we were doing the same task Graduates did. After it ended, I searched Glassdoor and seen that Graduates had done the same task as us, click here to see what I mean: https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Interview/Sky-Graduate-Software-Developer-Interview-Questions-EI_IE3903.0,3_KO4,31.htm#InterviewReview_19310931

It was a complete disaster. It was split in two teams. One team had to create a Database connection with a website and the other team was using C# to create a VR game. None of which is even remotely related to the unattended coding test.
    We had to use NodeJS. No one even had any experience using it and they wanted us to create a Database connection. Everyone struggled and we came into this assessment day blind. All everyone did was copy code from StackOverflow as we had no experience or idea how to do the task. Hours spent running around in circles to achieve nothing.

I'm honestly lost for words for how poorly it was run. They expect people with and I quote "no coding experience required" to complete this task. The unattended coding test was very simple and something most beginners can achieve. All our team was lost. We just searched up and copied code as that's the only thing we could do. This didn't work itself as we didn't have the experience to utilise the code or understand it completely. We were in a room for over 5 hours. 1 hour in and I didn't want to be there as we couldn't achieve this task. I didn't want to quit so I pursued a lost cause. Even our team members were confused and tired. We were told that it would be pair programming. Something simple everyone would've assumed, but it wasn't. How can you go from telling us to change shape colours to migrating a database to connect with the other team Unity Engine in C#. Not only us but the other team struggled and couldn't even complete the task too. Overall, we literally had barely anything at all to present at the end of the day. I just wanted to leave.

It was really a complete waste of time and nothing at all like other assessment centres I've attended. Those are more group task based and even when it's programming, it's something simple.

I applied for other Degree Apprenticeships too. The one I got an offer for was to create a calculator application using Python and allowing the customer to change variable values. However, they told us that we were going to be using Python, so I researched and learnt it at home and the task was actually enjoyable and fun. I've already accepted an offer for a Degree Apprenticeship in Digital and Technology Solutions from another company to start in September. I found out two days after attending the Sky assessment centre that I got an offer from another company, so I instantly accepted it. I didn't want to wait for the Sky response as I know I wouldn't have even picked myself for that role.

The Sky process 1-4 was actually good. The assessment centre wasn't. Once it was finished, we all spoke to each other (apprentices) about how it was run and no one liked the idea they came in blind. They said we would find out in a week and yes I didn't make it through. I didn't expect to; I couldn't create their complex program. I could only show the spectators how to copy and paste code. Honestly was humiliating and I didn't want to but had to. Made us look like fools honestly and I just wanted the day to end.

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sky (London, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Group tasks and various activities to find how you communicate with others, then face to face interview and role play exercise, found the group activities quite straight forward and the role play exerciese, everything was explaiined in a way thta was easy to understand

Interview Questions

• Role play and group exercises was about showing how you can communicate with others and how you can plan your day   1 Answer

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sky (London, England) in May 2018.

Interview

I’ve been on the telephone interview but didn’t feel comfortable with the person, she was unprofessional, I think she’s new to her jobs, needs more training, supervised.
    I did my homework.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any criminal convictions?
      My answer was is it spent or unspent? having my Disclosure and Barring Service came through recently but I was asked again am I sure, she went saying people apply with convictions but later get rejected, at this point I thought I wasn’t getting anywhere with this lady, she clearly levelled me as a criminal.
      Interview lasted about 30 minutes, having answered the questions as professionally as I could I even stop talking for her to type but didn’t get asked if I want to add anything else to my answers, it seems like it the interview was fast tracked.   Answer Question

5 Sep 2018 – Glassdoor Community Manager

Hi there. Sorry to hear you didn't have a great experience and you felt as though your interview was let down by the assessor. Please be aware I have fed this back to the business area to ensure this is looked in to.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sky (London, England) in August 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by 2 different recruiters in the space of 1 week who both said they were putting me forward for 2 roles and then 2 months later I still havent heard from them - despite sending 4 emails to chase on my application. Not an organisation I would ever want to work for or even consider!

Interview Questions

• What skills I could bring and why I wanted to work for Sky   Answer Question

31 Oct 2017

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, we always appreciate feedback from candidates and I've shared your review with the team here. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a poor experience and haven't yet received full feedback from your interview, this is not standard practice and I can only apologise. On this occasion I recommend getting back in touch with your contact(s) in our Recruitment team and they can request this directly from the Hiring Manager for you.

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sky (London, England) in August 2009.

Interview

Your first stop is this little building that sits between the gate of the campus. This place serves as security and reception. Once they've notified your interviewer you've arrived, you'll then be walked over by the HR person to the specific building and room where your interview will take place.

The first thing they do is take a photocopy of your identifications and then you'll be led into a room to be interviewed the the HR person and the manager of the position you're being interviewed for.

Interview Questions

• You'll be given scenarios of situations that might occur at this job and you'll have to provide a convincing response as to what your solution would be to solve this crisis. Please note, that you would only have received a better understanding of the position a few minutes ago and whatever your response is will be judge for or against you getting this position.   Answer Question