Skyscanner Software Engineer() Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Skyscanner Software Engineer() Interview Questions

Interviews at Skyscanner

3.3

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Interview

Initial coding task that doesn't take long to finish, which is great, followed by 2 interviews one involving cultural questions, another involving questions about technical projects I did in the past.
Finally the on-site interview consisting of culture interview, and 2 system design interviews. The culture interview was one of the best and toughest nice had the interviewer was very experienced. One of the system design interviews was conducted by a manager, which caused some issues when I received his feedback, there were some bits of the feedback that didn't make sense at all. One feedback was "you decided to go with a monolith when microservices would better suit" which is quite a personal opinion and wouldn't be mentioned by a sincere and experienced engineer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Skyscanner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Skyscanner (Edinburgh, Scotland) in January 2020.

Interview

The interview was fairly standard. I first got did the online assessment and got a full score in it but due to lack sleep deprivation due to some travel heavily affected my interview experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Skyscanner in December 2019.

Interview

There was long test task for 4 hours, then two interviews with engineering managers.
    About Depth of Expertise and Culture which last for 2 hours.

During 2 weeks there was not single contact person. Contact persons have changed several times. That felt a bit messy.

One of engineering managers did not focus on what I say and promised 15 minutes turned into an hour.

The one thing I really appreciated is the feedback they honestly provided

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Skyscanner (London, England) in November 2019.

Interview

The interview process took +/- 1 month.

First contact, a 15 minutes call with HR to explain more about the process and the job.
    Then, a relative easy test to do at home, Hackerrank style.

After the code reviews, schedules 2 interviews of 60 minutes each:
    - Culture: values align with the company
    - Depth of Expertise: this one is deep talk about a project you worked in the past and some other questions related to distributed systems.

After approved, I had now 3 interviews of 45 minutes each:
    - 2 Hard Problems: two sessions with one problem each. where you have to design the system in a scalable way. As I was remote, I had to use the Whiteboard feature from Zoom.
    - Culture: with a Senior Engineering Manager to understand how you work and more about values.

The process was fast, the HR always keeping you updated and I enjoyed talking with all of them.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Skyscanner.

Interview

The interview process was long and exhausting. All video interviews, no onsite.
    1. Technical discussion regarding system design for one of my past project
    2. Cultural, asking lot of questions checking team skills, conflict handling, soft skills etc.
    3. System design
    4. System design
    5. Cultural, more detailed questions

I prepared and did well. After last interview, I got rejected and the reasons stated were minor and some of them not even true. Overall, the interviewers were supportive except one.

Interview Questions

• Draw system design for one of the projects you have worked on   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Skyscanner.

Interview

Short chat about with the recruiter the company over the phone. No CV, no face to face introduction, then a Hackerrank test. There wasn't really an interview, no chance to see the office, see the manager etc. just a rigid code test - a test you'd expect from an organization that is looking for coding machines. They learn a lot about you before you get to learn anything about them (other than marketing slides).

Interview Questions

• 70 min Hackerrank test: write a code that receives employees and his/her manager (employee-manager pairs) from the stdin. Once this input sequence is done (empty input row?), Then read two employees' name from the stdin, and tell who is their common manager.   1 Answer

Software Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Skyscanner (Edinburgh, Scotland) in January 2019.

Interview

I didn't want to write a review, because I was mad for so long, but I guess someone, especially Skyscanner, can benefit from this feedback.

I've had interviews with big 4 companies (which Skyscanner is kinda trying to copy IMO) and if you expect as much as big 4 companies and pay much less, you should at least try harder with the recruiting process.

Main problems:
    - inititial interview was robotic and impersonal, the recruiter was reading questions from a script and writing down my answers without even looking at me. At this point I was already pissed off, but decided to continue the process anyway.

- assessment centre: I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Comparing again to other interviews I've had, recruiters usually tell you what sort of questions to prepare for - algorithms and data structures, trivia questions, system design, domain-specific problems. Not at Skyscanner! You are left in the dark. I was prepared for something completely different, which caused me great stress and in the end, I didn't do so well.

- another minor, but very unpleasant experience was that in one of the group interviews, I was the only girl in my group and that usually doesn't bother me, but oh boy, this time was exceptional. The atmosphere was super competitive and every time I tried to suggest something, I was interrupted by someone, dismissing my ideas. The moderator was looking at his phone all the time, seeming super bored. I started panicking that I will get a negative assessment because I wasn't allowed to say anything, so to be finally heard and show what I know, I almost had to raise my voice and tell people to shut up & let me finish. Not a situation I enjoy to be in. The classical gender bias problem I guess, and it's not exactly the company's fault, but that shouldn't happen at an interview. However, I did well on this part, despite the fact it felt terrible.

Overall I'm left with a very bad taste in my mouth and I doubt I will be applying again.

Software Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Skyscanner (Edinburgh, Scotland).

Interview

Process took about a month. It starts by a technical test online. A week or so later was my phone interview and three weeks later was my on-site assessment.

The assessment consisted of a group activity, cultural interview and lastly a technical interview. The atmosphere seemed super nice and friendly, but I was exhausted by the time I got to the technical interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Skyscanner (Glasgow, Scotland) in May 2018.

Interview

They start with a screening phone call trying to find out about you and sell you the company. This was followed by a take home test, video call interviews and then a day on-site.

The whole thing felt very impersonal due to the fact that they keeping putting off talking to you in person. The interviews are a mix of basic experience questions ("Tell me about a time when...") and technical pop-quiz questions. Some of the technical questions were relevant to the role and some were wildly different. There is a strong preference for the kind of knowledge studied at university over experience and past work. This includes the kind of whiteboard algorithm programming popular in the US except they want it explained verbally.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Skyscanner (Edinburgh, Scotland) in November 2017.

Interview

application process consists of 3 parts: hackerrank challenge, 30 Skype interview and a day at the assessment center. At the assessment center you will go through a group challenge, a technical interview and another behavior interview.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.