Smart Pension Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Smart Pension

3.1

Ruby Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Smart Pension (London, England) in September 2020.

Interview

I was given a test to be completed at home (about 4 hours), then I had 2 interviews. The technical involved some questions and a pair programming session related to the test and a separate assignment.
    The cultural one was more about the day to day life in my previous job and discussed some possible scenarios that might come up during work.

Ruby Developer Interview

Interview

Was referred for a role and then contacted by a recruiter who explained the role and decided if I'd be a good fit or not. We then spoke about the role and the sort of thing they were looking for.

Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Smart Pension (London, England) in March 2020.

Interview

I met with the Head of Engineering and had a 1 hour interview with him. It was very much a conversation and really suited my style where I was able to get an understanding of the company and engineering structure and HoE an understanding of my skills. I really enjoyed it and have never had an interview like that before.

The second hour was spent with two senior PMs. I also really enjoyed that interview. They really gave a great insight into the product and ways of working. There were some behavioural questions and when I forgot to give an example (woops!) they prompted for one which shows empathy in the interview process and felt like they were engaged with me asking tailored questions to my background and responses.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions around story writing, refinement process, product ownership in general. Prioritisation techniques   1 Answer
    • They asked tailored questions to my background and responses   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Pretty decent process overall, some interviews with members of the team and a more technical one as well. However the third party recruiter they used was not decent (not professional and not pleasant to deal with). Overall you feel like the whole process is not a pleasant experience and would waste a lot of your time.

Interview Questions

• Some technical questions and going through projects you have done.   Answer Question

Junior Scrum Master Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smart Pension.

Interview

A TERRIBLE interview!

The person conducting the interview was in charge of engineering so they were not a Scrum Master or Agile Coach themselves. Throughout the interview he kept interrupting me throughout every answer I gave and so I wasn’t even given the chance to finish off my sentences which I felt was incredibly disrespectful. He was also extremely rude, didn't smile or bothering making any sort of eye contact towards me.

I wanted to understand how Agile they are as a business, so I asked them to explain some techniques they use when holding their retrospectives however, they gave extremely vague answers and couldn’t provide any concrete examples or strategies. He then asked me what a “servant leader” was and I told him it’s someone who puts the teams interests before there own and tries to help outside stakeholders understand which interactions are helpful and which aren't for the team - and then he said I was wrong! .... After that I realised this interview was becoming a bit of a joke.

Surely it would have made more sense for me to interview with a Senior Scrum Master or Agile Coach who had years of practice in implementing Agile into organisations? Just because he has a passion for Agile doesn't mean he's good at understanding it. Anyone can be an advocate of Agile - but agile is a mindset and being able to embody the values and do the work on yourself is the hardest part. You're there to be a leader, not a boss!

When asking me to give an example of when a colleague has argued with me, I stated that we rarely have arguments and have discussions instead where both parties feel heard and negotiate to meet in the middle. His colleague happily agreed with my answer however, he gave me a look, disapproving of my answer and then decided to state that he has arguments all the time! (Not that I wouldn't have already been able to tell so far).

After a series of questions thrown at me and rejected and interrupted, I almost felt like walking out of the interview at this point due to lack of respect. To sum it all up - it was an extremely unprofessional interview which demonstrated that they're not quite ready for Agile!

Interview Questions

• List the full names of senior stakeholders you've worked with?   Answer Question

Smart Pension Response

5 Aug 2019 – Head of Talent

Hi there!

This is Martin - Head of Talent/People. Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. I never like to read that we haven't given a positive experience, but none the less, feedback is something we do value very highly.

We try to put two people to conduct every interview and in this case, the second person in the room was a Scrum Master and I note your comments about that individual nodding in agreement with one of your answers.

Interviews are a two-way street and if you felt that the interviewer, in this case, was rude or disrespectful, I apologise because that is not how we want anyone to feel and we certainly do not take any interviews as a joke, for us, they are a way to find the best candidates for our roles and also, to make sure the candidate feel Smart is the right company for them.

We will challenge candidates on their points of view sometimes, not to be argumentative, but to test their overall knowledge and see how in-depth they know their subject matter, as this helps us not only decide on the candidates to take forward, but also, if there are development areas we need to be aware of when we hire people (everyone has something to learn of course).

Interviews are (of course) subjective to a point, but we have clearly not met your expectations on this occasion and I do hope that this reply will at least let you know that we have taken your comments seriously.

Kind regards,

Martin

Junior Ruby Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smart Pension (London, England) in May 2019.

Interview

Phone Interview, Coding challenge and then face to face interview. Phone interview was fine, they just asked about experience. The coding challenge was a bit more difficult with little instructions

Interview Questions

Smart Pension Response

5 Aug 2019 – Head of Talent

Hi!

Thanks for the review and glad that overall it was a positive experience. Whether the interview ends in the person getting a new role with us or not, we hope the experience has been a positive one.

What I will say is although it didn't work out this time, please do think of us again in the future, we know that people learn more skills with time, so who knows, in 6-12 months, maybe we will get the opportunity to meet again?

Martin - Head of Talent/People

Human Resources and Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Smart Pension (London, England) in April 2018.

Interview

Following my application, I was emailed inviting me for a face to face interview. In my interview, I met with my prospective team manager and line manager and was asked questions reflecting on my knowledge of Smart Pension and my skillset. Following this, I received a call to discuss the timeline for my relocation to London, in addition to my salary expectations. When I was offered the position they reconfirmed all the details of the role and upon my acceptance went through the details of the timeline running up to my start at Smart. Even during the onboarding, I was consistently kept in contact in the run up to my start date, with and any queries I had quickly and happily answered.

Interview Questions

• Asked me a series of situational questions and how I would approach certain tasks.   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.