Smart Pension Junior Scrum Master Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Smart Pension

1 Interview Review

4.0

Junior Scrum Master Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smart Pension.

Interview

A TERRIBLE interview!

The person conducting the interview was in charge of engineering so they were not a Scrum Master or Agile Coach themselves. Throughout the interview he kept interrupting me throughout every answer I gave and so I wasn’t even given the chance to finish off my sentences which I felt was incredibly disrespectful. He was also extremely rude, didn't smile or bothering making any sort of eye contact towards me.

I wanted to understand how Agile they are as a business, so I asked them to explain some techniques they use when holding their retrospectives however, they gave extremely vague answers and couldn’t provide any concrete examples or strategies. He then asked me what a “servant leader” was and I told him it’s someone who puts the teams interests before there own and tries to help outside stakeholders understand which interactions are helpful and which aren't for the team - and then he said I was wrong! .... After that I realised this interview was becoming a bit of a joke.

Surely it would have made more sense for me to interview with a Senior Scrum Master or Agile Coach who had years of practice in implementing Agile into organisations? Just because he has a passion for Agile doesn't mean he's good at understanding it. Anyone can be an advocate of Agile - but agile is a mindset and being able to embody the values and do the work on yourself is the hardest part. You're there to be a leader, not a boss!

When asking me to give an example of when a colleague has argued with me, I stated that we rarely have arguments and have discussions instead where both parties feel heard and negotiate to meet in the middle. His colleague happily agreed with my answer however, he gave me a look, disapproving of my answer and then decided to state that he has arguments all the time! (Not that I wouldn't have already been able to tell so far).

After a series of questions thrown at me and rejected and interrupted, I almost felt like walking out of the interview at this point due to lack of respect. To sum it all up - it was an extremely unprofessional interview which demonstrated that they're not quite ready for Agile!

Interview Questions

• List the full names of senior stakeholders you've worked with?   Answer Question

Smart Pension Response

5 Aug 2019 – Head of Talent

Hi there! This is Martin - Head of Talent/People. Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. I never like to read that we haven't given a positive experience, but none the less, feedback is something we do value very highly. We try to put two people to conduct every interview and in this case, the second person in the room was a Scrum Master and I note your comments about that individual nodding in agreement with one of your answers. Interviews are a two-way street and if you felt that the interviewer, in this case, was rude or disrespectful, I apologise because that is not how we want anyone to feel and we certainly do not take any interviews as a joke, for us, they are a way to find the best candidates for our roles and also, to make sure the candidate feel Smart is the right company for them. We will challenge candidates on their points of view sometimes, not to be argumentative, but to test their overall knowledge and see how in-depth they know their subject matter, as this helps us not only decide on the candidates to take forward, but also, if there are development areas we need to be aware of when we hire people (everyone has something to learn of course). Interviews are (of course) subjective to a point, but we have clearly not met your expectations on this occasion and I do hope that this reply will at least let you know that we have taken your comments seriously. Kind regards, Martin

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.