Smith & Williamson Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Smith & Williamson Interview Questions

Updated 5 Nov 2018

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to come in for an interview with two Partners. The interview was more about meeting the candidates early on and finding out about fit, I think. The interview was more conversational than structured. The first question I was asked to tell them about my journey to here. They then asked further questions about my experiences and the sectors and clients I had worked for. They then spent a lot of time talking about the firm and asked whether I had questions for them. My advice, find opportunities to sell yourself somehow.

Trainee Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (Bristol, England) in December 2016.

Interview

The one-on-one interview was mostly skills and competency based. Required knowledge of the company and it's different sectors. Mostly simple questions, but it's good to remember to have multiple examples of times you worked in a team for example.

Interview Questions

• Why are you the right fit for the company?
      Name a time when you dealt with a tough challenge.   Answer Question

Assurance Interview

Interview

After online application and successful of psychometric test will be invited to assessment centre. Three parts: psychometric test (numerical and verbal), group discussion and written exercise. last for the whole day. Before any of the three parts, there's a short presentation from a partner which introduces the company.

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in November 2017.

Interview

The Assessment centre started at 10am with 18 people, sitting the standard verbal and numerical SHL tests, former with the well-known questions on deep sea explorations, China economy, spread of e-commerce, etc. We had 20 minutes to answer 40 true/false/DS questions. In the numerical tests you answer 28 questions in 30 minutes, again the standard questions - motor van running costs, exchange rate conversion, etc. The tests ended at 11.45am and there was a sandwich lunch after that, lasting 45 minutes.
    Then we were called and allocated into groups of 6 for the group exercise. It was about an investment decision to be made by a camera lending business. Everyone got a proposal and had to allocate the budget based on business needs/priorities/etc. Some numbers were intentionally miscalculated. There was 40 minutes for the discussion and we had to present the recommendations in 1 minute per person.
    Finally, we went onto the report writing part. It was an email to a Partner in the business, you had to collect in what ways the comapny can help a business and its owners as well. You are required to analyse some numbers, but also pay attention to qualitative details. The day ended just before 3pm.
    I got very little, generic feedback on my performance.

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson.

Interview

"Yank and shake interview"... Means they kicked people out half way through the process which was quite disconcerting.

- Numerical test that is far harder than the online one. Don't worry if you don't finish, I didn't and I still made it through without being yanked.
    - case study that is heavily timed

Interview Questions

• The yank and shake methodology probably doesn't bring out the best in people; the group interview turned people in to monsters.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

The process is: First you need to complete an online application followed by a numerical and a verbal test. If you are successful you will then proceed to an assessment centre and if you are again successful then the final round are interviews.

Investment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in November 2011.

Interview

FIrst interview was by phone, some predictable competency questions and a few technicial ones. There were also some questions about motivation and what you know about the work that Smith & Williamson does, including out of the division you apply for.
    I was successful at this stage and after that there was an assessment day just lasting a few hours at their London office. This just consisted of two tests (numerical and verbal) which were similar to the online ones, but more difficult. Any candidates failing must leave after that. Then follows the written exercise, which is simple if you know the services that the firm provides. Then comes lunch, followed by a group interview where you discuss a list of proposals that the firm could sponsor and you must decide between you which one to go for. You then have to present it as a group over 5 minutes. That was the end of the day, so many of us left feeling like we hadn't been properly tested and that they wouldn't have much information to go on when choosing between us.
    I didn't get through to the final interview, but I believe it was only with one director.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between investment management and investment banking?   1 Answer

Document Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (Bristol, England) in June 2015.

Interview

An informal chat with two members of the facilities team to review CV and ask a few example of work questions. This was followed by a brief tour of the office.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember any specific questions. Just some general ones like 'give an example of working in a team' and such   Answer Question

Tax Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fine. Arrived early and met with a member of HR and this was followed with a Tax Manager - interview last one hour and was done through an agency. All seemed positive and they saw I had a fair number of "original documents" - past appraisals, CPD up dates, and testimonials from clients and lots of thank you cards, school certificate so they did look at a few of these and were positive. I was told that they will decide if things go further.

Interview Questions

• I had to agree as part of the process to do a Pre-Screening Checks through a internet portal. I agreed this in principal as I was told it was basically what was on my CV to be put in the appropriate places. All seemed fine and agreeable. I then gave positive feedback to the job agency. I was then told by the agency they had shortlisted 8 candidates and out of these they had selected me for the position. Before I was given on offer, I should give a notice to my current employer and confirm with the agency and HR was sending a job offer in the post. I therefore explained to my employer that I would work my notice period and in fact I gave three weeks notice. My final date was 30 September 2016.

I received a JOB OFFER but no start date. I had to fill in a long questionnaire, which took over an hour, so I thought this was to substitute the portal online route as they had lots of questions and asks about being included in the medical benefits package etc. All filled and posted.   1 Answer

Graduate Trainee Chartered Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in April 2017.

Interview

The assessment day was split into two stages: (a) repeat of the verbal and numerical tests and (b) group exercise and written task. If successful in stage (a) they move you on to stage (b). The tests were harder than the ones you get asked to do with your application. Nevertheless, I was relieved to have made it to stage (b). Group task was standard. You get put into a small group and have to help a client with her business expansion. Written task was about helping a troubled business. Tips: read up about the company and its service lines before the day as this will help. Also, make sure you speak up and do not sit on the sidelines in the group task.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.