Smith & Williamson Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 14 Nov 2017

3.1

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in November 2017.

Interview

The Assessment centre started at 10am with 18 people, sitting the standard verbal and numerical SHL tests, former with the well-known questions on deep sea explorations, China economy, spread of e-commerce, etc. We had 20 minutes to answer 40 true/false/DS questions. In the numerical tests you answer 28 questions in 30 minutes, again the standard questions - motor van running costs, exchange rate conversion, etc. The tests ended at 11.45am and there was a sandwich lunch after that, lasting 45 minutes.
    Then we were called and allocated into groups of 6 for the group exercise. It was about an investment decision to be made by a camera lending business. Everyone got a proposal and had to allocate the budget based on business needs/priorities/etc. Some numbers were intentionally miscalculated. There was 40 minutes for the discussion and we had to present the recommendations in 1 minute per person.
    Finally, we went onto the report writing part. It was an email to a Partner in the business, you had to collect in what ways the comapny can help a business and its owners as well. You are required to analyse some numbers, but also pay attention to qualitative details. The day ended just before 3pm.
    I got very little, generic feedback on my performance.

Trainee Investment Manager Interview

Interview

I filled in the application through the careers webpage. Then I was prompted to take Numerical and Verbal Reasoning Tests. Was invited to the Assessment Centre afterwards to repeat the reasoning tests again but on paper form, followed by the group exercise.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to come in for an interview with two Partners. The interview was more about meeting the candidates early on and finding out about fit, I think. The interview was more conversational than structured. The first question I was asked to tell them about my journey to here. They then asked further questions about my experiences and the sectors and clients I had worked for. They then spent a lot of time talking about the firm and asked whether I had questions for them. My advice, find opportunities to sell yourself somehow.

Graduate Trainee Chartered Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in April 2017.

Interview

The assessment day was split into two stages: (a) repeat of the verbal and numerical tests and (b) group exercise and written task. If successful in stage (a) they move you on to stage (b). The tests were harder than the ones you get asked to do with your application. Nevertheless, I was relieved to have made it to stage (b). Group task was standard. You get put into a small group and have to help a client with her business expansion. Written task was about helping a troubled business. Tips: read up about the company and its service lines before the day as this will help. Also, make sure you speak up and do not sit on the sidelines in the group task.

Trainee Insolvency Administrator Interview

Interview

I had to complete a competency test which involved identifying the correct shapes and realising the difference in the two and if passed you get called back for interview. The test were 5 min long, so you have to be quick

Trainee Forensic Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Online form with 3 generic questions that are the same for all their programs. Then assessment centre, morning is verbal and numerical tests quite tricky with a set pass mark. Afternoon is group exercise and written exercise. Group exercise involved assessing a person's business plan and changing it to match the money she was being given. Written exercise is to prepare a brief for a partner meeting a potential client, involves a lot of writing and reading and you must know the services offered by the company. They claim to give feedback but its generic, its the same feedback given to everyone rejected at the assessment centre.

Summer Interview

Application

Interview

The process is: First you need to complete an online application followed by a numerical and a verbal test. If you are successful you will then proceed to an assessment centre and if you are again successful then the final round are interviews.

Forensic Accounting Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Online tests followed by an assessment centre that included further tests and a group and written exercise. Interview on a separate date at the office applied for with 2 managers.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Smith and Williamson? What are the key threats in the market? How do these threats impact Smith and Williamson? Why are you suited to the role?   1 Answer

Trainee Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (Bristol, England) in December 2016.

Interview

The one-on-one interview was mostly skills and competency based. Required knowledge of the company and it's different sectors. Mostly simple questions, but it's good to remember to have multiple examples of times you worked in a team for example.

Interview Questions

• Why are you the right fit for the company?
      Name a time when you dealt with a tough challenge.   Answer Question

Tax Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fine. Arrived early and met with a member of HR and this was followed with a Tax Manager - interview last one hour and was done through an agency. All seemed positive and they saw I had a fair number of "original documents" - past appraisals, CPD up dates, and testimonials from clients and lots of thank you cards, school certificate so they did look at a few of these and were positive. I was told that they will decide if things go further.

Interview Questions

• I had to agree as part of the process to do a Pre-Screening Checks through a internet portal. I agreed this in principal as I was told it was basically what was on my CV to be put in the appropriate places. All seemed fine and agreeable. I then gave positive feedback to the job agency. I was then told by the agency they had shortlisted 8 candidates and out of these they had selected me for the position. Before I was given on offer, I should give a notice to my current employer and confirm with the agency and HR was sending a job offer in the post. I therefore explained to my employer that I would work my notice period and in fact I gave three weeks notice. My final date was 30 September 2016.

I received a JOB OFFER but no start date. I had to fill in a long questionnaire, which took over an hour, so I thought this was to substitute the portal online route as they had lots of questions and asks about being included in the medical benefits package etc. All filled and posted.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.