Smith & Williamson Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Smith & Williamson Interview Questions

Updated 15 Feb 2018

3.1

Interview

Assessment centre consisted of basic tests on paper exactly the same as the online ones then lunch followed by one group work on helping a business and one individual work

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in November 2017.

Interview

The Assessment centre started at 10am with 18 people, sitting the standard verbal and numerical SHL tests, former with the well-known questions on deep sea explorations, China economy, spread of e-commerce, etc. We had 20 minutes to answer 40 true/false/DS questions. In the numerical tests you answer 28 questions in 30 minutes, again the standard questions - motor van running costs, exchange rate conversion, etc. The tests ended at 11.45am and there was a sandwich lunch after that, lasting 45 minutes.
    Then we were called and allocated into groups of 6 for the group exercise. It was about an investment decision to be made by a camera lending business. Everyone got a proposal and had to allocate the budget based on business needs/priorities/etc. Some numbers were intentionally miscalculated. There was 40 minutes for the discussion and we had to present the recommendations in 1 minute per person.
    Finally, we went onto the report writing part. It was an email to a Partner in the business, you had to collect in what ways the comapny can help a business and its owners as well. You are required to analyse some numbers, but also pay attention to qualitative details. The day ended just before 3pm.
    I got very little, generic feedback on my performance.

Trainee Investment Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in November 2017.

Interview

- Application form with questions (including: how will your skills help you in this job? what do you anticipate doing in this job? etc)
    - Online assessments: numerical and verbal
    - Telephone Interview: Questions regarding candidate strengths, financial markets etc
    - Assessment Centre (In location of job): Starts off by re-doing the numerical and verbal tests you did online, then breaks for lunch, after which, several people from the group will go home (maybe 3 of 8 or so). The second part is a group assessment where you are given a scenario for a client, and have to decide where to invest their money; there's a last minute change to circumstances as well which judges the group's ability to think on their feet
    - Final interview: Conducted with the two partners responsible for the graduates. You have 30 minutes to prepare a portfolio pitch for a particular company or investment vehicle. Then you have to justify your choices to the partners. The final bit is a chit chat about markets and yourself.

- Good parts of the process: i) They pay expenses for the assessment centres and final interviews, which many other firms don't, ii) The questions (particularly in the final interview) are based on challenges and decisions you will face whilst in the job, and therefore directly assess your ability in the role (i've been asked by other companies in similar circumstances what superhero best describes me, for instance)

-Bad parts of the process: i) I was kept waiting 8 weeks from my final interview before being told whether they wanted to offer me a position (despite being told on three separate occasions that offers would be given before then, and me chasing them for an answer), ii) At no point was the salary listed on the advertisement, or during the assessment centre or interviews (money isn't the most important thing to consider in this role, but it certainly helps to know where you stand compared to other firms - to this day i do not know the salary), ii) The final decision not to make me an offer was made by email (I think once you've done a final interview these should be made over the telephone), iv) In the aforementioned interview, there was no reasoning for not giving me an offer, but a clearly generic section offering advice on what to work on for other interviews.

- Overall assessment: A very respectable company, with partners that have a clear passion for bringing on and developing new talent, which I would have undoubtedly enjoyed working for. However, the final bit of the process lacked a certain level of professionalism on several levels, and will undoubtedly push away some candidates.

Interview Questions

• - what will you be doing in this role?
      - how will your skills help you achieve this?
      - which stocks do you like at the moment and why?
      - who is our greatest competition?
      - what areas does our business cover?   Answer Question

Business Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Firstly you had to fill out an application form, then you were invited to complete online numerical and verbal tests. If successful you were then invited to an assessment centre, where you repeat the tests, as well as completing a written report and a group exercise which is followed by a presentation. If successful you then get invited to a first round interview, mine was with a manager. Here it is mostly competency based and if successful you get invited to a partner interview.

Trainee Investment Manager Interview

Interview

I filled in the application through the careers webpage. Then I was prompted to take Numerical and Verbal Reasoning Tests. Was invited to the Assessment Centre afterwards to repeat the reasoning tests again but on paper form, followed by the group exercise.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to come in for an interview with two Partners. The interview was more about meeting the candidates early on and finding out about fit, I think. The interview was more conversational than structured. The first question I was asked to tell them about my journey to here. They then asked further questions about my experiences and the sectors and clients I had worked for. They then spent a lot of time talking about the firm and asked whether I had questions for them. My advice, find opportunities to sell yourself somehow.

Graduate Trainee Chartered Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in April 2017.

Interview

The assessment day was split into two stages: (a) repeat of the verbal and numerical tests and (b) group exercise and written task. If successful in stage (a) they move you on to stage (b). The tests were harder than the ones you get asked to do with your application. Nevertheless, I was relieved to have made it to stage (b). Group task was standard. You get put into a small group and have to help a client with her business expansion. Written task was about helping a troubled business. Tips: read up about the company and its service lines before the day as this will help. Also, make sure you speak up and do not sit on the sidelines in the group task.

Trainee Insolvency Administrator Interview

Interview

I had to complete a competency test which involved identifying the correct shapes and realising the difference in the two and if passed you get called back for interview. The test were 5 min long, so you have to be quick

Trainee Forensic Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Online form with 3 generic questions that are the same for all their programs. Then assessment centre, morning is verbal and numerical tests quite tricky with a set pass mark. Afternoon is group exercise and written exercise. Group exercise involved assessing a person's business plan and changing it to match the money she was being given. Written exercise is to prepare a brief for a partner meeting a potential client, involves a lot of writing and reading and you must know the services offered by the company. They claim to give feedback but its generic, its the same feedback given to everyone rejected at the assessment centre.

Summer Interview

Application

Interview

The process is: First you need to complete an online application followed by a numerical and a verbal test. If you are successful you will then proceed to an assessment centre and if you are again successful then the final round are interviews.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.