Smith & Williamson Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 Feb 2017

3.1

Trainee Forensic Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Online form with 3 generic questions that are the same for all their programs. Then assessment centre, morning is verbal and numerical tests quite tricky with a set pass mark. Afternoon is group exercise and written exercise. Group exercise involved assessing a person's business plan and changing it to match the money she was being given. Written exercise is to prepare a brief for a partner meeting a potential client, involves a lot of writing and reading and you must know the services offered by the company. They claim to give feedback but its generic, its the same feedback given to everyone rejected at the assessment centre.

Forensic Accounting Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Online tests followed by an assessment centre that included further tests and a group and written exercise. Interview on a separate date at the office applied for with 2 managers.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Smith and Williamson? What are the key threats in the market? How do these threats impact Smith and Williamson? Why are you suited to the role?   1 Answer

Trainee Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (Bristol, England) in December 2016.

Interview

The one-on-one interview was mostly skills and competency based. Required knowledge of the company and it's different sectors. Mostly simple questions, but it's good to remember to have multiple examples of times you worked in a team for example.

Interview Questions

• Why are you the right fit for the company?
      Name a time when you dealt with a tough challenge.
      Answer Question

Tax Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fine. Arrived early and met with a member of HR and this was followed with a Tax Manager - interview last one hour and was done through an agency. All seemed positive and they saw I had a fair number of "original documents" - past appraisals, CPD up dates, and testimonials from clients and lots of thank you cards, school certificate so they did look at a few of these and were positive. I was told that they will decide if things go further.

Interview Questions

• I had to agree as part of the process to do a Pre-Screening Checks through a internet portal. I agreed this in principal as I was told it was basically what was on my CV to be put in the appropriate places. All seemed fine and agreeable. I then gave positive feedback to the job agency. I was then told by the agency they had shortlisted 8 candidates and out of these they had selected me for the position. Before I was given on offer, I should give a notice to my current employer and confirm with the agency and HR was sending a job offer in the post. I therefore explained to my employer that I would work my notice period and in fact I gave three weeks notice. My final date was 30 September 2016.

I received a JOB OFFER but no start date. I had to fill in a long questionnaire, which took over an hour, so I thought this was to substitute the portal online route as they had lots of questions and asks about being included in the medical benefits package etc. All filled and posted.
      1 Answer

First Year Audit Trainee (Graduate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (Bristol, England) in May 2016.

Interview

1 day assessment centre at Smith and Williamson in London. This includes a repeat of the online tests followed by a group exercise, culminating and in a group presentation and finally an individual written exercise. This was then followed by a competency based interview in the regional office followed by a partner interview.

Interview Questions

• Please give an example of a specific goal you have worked towards to further your knowledge in accountancy.   1 Answer

First Year Audit Trainee (Graduate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in March 2016.

Interview

After passing the online test, I was invited to the assessment center. There were 11 people that day. We had a paper based online test again in the morning. All of us have passed the test in the morning. We had lunch with exiting employees. Then in the afternoon we had the group exercise. 4 people were in my group. At last, we had a writing exercise.

Graduate Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson in January 2016.

Interview

Assessment centre consisted of what was detailed, group exercise & written exercise with understanding the company's services crucial.
    Interview was competency based but also commercial awareness including issues affecting both the service line and the company as a whole.

Trainee Investment Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson.

Interview

Interview process is as advertised, assessment day begins with retaking of the psychometric tests and providing your scores match up to those you registered online you are allowed to progress to the afternoon session. Lunch is very informal, just the group of applicants and 1 or 2 current trainees, great opportunity to pick their brains and get some honest views of S&W. Afternoon session is a written exercise, simple enough considering you know S&W quite well. Following that is a group exercise which is more concerned with logical thinking, no 'right' or 'wrong' answers, just be able to back up your choices.
    Phone interview is quite standard, general competency based interview.
    Final interview with a partner is more technical, be sure that you know what your motivations are for the industry and also to S&W specifically. Also be up to date on the markets and general world news; again for some questions don't be worried about being wrong just make statements you can back up with some reasoning (even if they are completely wrong) the interviewer just wants to see some confidence and strategic thinking.

Investment Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in November 2015.

Interview

After the submission of the online application form, you get instantly invited for a verbal reasoning and numerical reasoning test. Those were provided by Kenexa and they have a very low pass rate, so nothing to worry about.

Next stage was an Assessment Centre at their office in London. It was a rather short day: Had to retake both tests in form of paper-based tests (these have more questions in the same amount of time. Nobody was able to finish them but we all passed anyway). If you pass you are eligible for the second part of the AC. One written exercise where we were provided with an email from our manager asking us to review a potential new client's enquiry. We had to reply to his Email where we had to summarise the client's enquiry and what services of S&W could help the client. (KNOW THEIR SERVICES WELL!!). Last part was a group work. Standard case study, however it had nothing to do with Investment Management... It was more like a case study you would get when applying for Management Consulting jobs. I got rejected after this stage. However, the overall experience was alright. The company is almost entirely focused on the UK and Ireland so if you prefer companies with a more international focus (like me) this is not the right company for you.

Investment Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Smith & Williamson (London, England) in November 2015.

Interview

Online application answering questions about yourself and some industry/company specific questions. This was followed by online tests (numeracy and verbal reasoning). Passing these brought you to an assessment centre where the tests were repeated, a group task then took place (6 group members working through a fictitious situation and finally an individual task whereby you had to review an imaginary prospective clients information and write a briefing email to a partner.

Passing the assessment day then takes you to a telephone interview, the questions on this were fairly standard interview questions but include questions on the whole of the business; not just investment management.

Interview Questions

• Describe a current threat to Smith and Williamson in the markets.   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.