Softcat Sales Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Softcat Sales Executive Interview Questions

Interviews at Softcat

2.7

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Softcat.

Interview

I applied online and was offered a online interview. This was a pre-recorded interview so you're just recording yourself. There were about 4 questions asked. Quite easy in my opinion.

Interview Questions

Softcat Response

5 May 2020 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for sharing your review, we wish you the best in your future job hunt.

Other Interview Reviews for Softcat

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Softcat (London, England) in November 2019.

Interview

Basic Behavioural Test: asking for words that best described you, followed by a well organised video interview that was focused on the company as a whole and then personal questions about sales experience, now onto an assessment centre.

Interview Questions

Softcat Response

29 Nov 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Softcat (Glasgow, Scotland) in September 2019.

Interview

I applied online and got an email the next day inviting me to do a video interview. In this interview you had a chance to practice and then got a few questions you had to answer on video then 3 written responses to questions that appeared on screen. The following day I received a phone call inviting
     me to next stage which was assessment day in Glasgow office. Here you met with recruiter who was very lovely and welcoming and got to learn about day to day role, what they do, what they’re looking for. After you had this tour and talk you had to do group exercise with other interviewee’s and prepare for cold call. Once that task was completed we did speed interviewing with 3 team leaders which I thought was a fun exercise, and finally do a presentation in front of 3 team leaders and recruiter about why you for the role. I received a call that day telling me they would like to invite me back in myself this time to do interview. I travelled back into Glasgow and did an interview with 3 different team leaders and thought it went well (also gave feedback that confirmed this). I got a phone call later on in day from same recruiter advising I was successful and had to do another interview by telephone with a team leader. I was due the telephone interview on Friday afternoon and prepared. I waited an hour and had to phone call or email to advise me what was happening. I then emailed to ask if it was going to be rescheduled a few hours after and was given a new day for Tuesday the following week. I was happy with this as had already put a lot of time in for interview and preparation by the time Tuesday came I got my phone call with a team leader. I had prepared my questions based on the 3 interviews I had did previous, glass door reviews and looking at soft cars person specification. The team leader advised me it will be casual conversation which was fine I had friendly casual chat , was asked my favourite restaurant and also if I go out drinking/clubbing and if so where I go to. I thought call went okay not my usual interview but didn’t think much as already had 3 great interviews and was asked when I could start on call with recruiter few days before telephone interview. After interview I never had phone call all day which I thought was inconsistent as for past interviews in process I had quick feedback and response. I decided to call up recruiter to ask for feedback and was to be told I was unsuccessful and that the team leader thought I wasn’t the sales driven. In that respect if I had been asked more about sales, examples of hitting targets & KPIs, why sales, what motivates me to sell etc I’m sure he definitely would of thought different but when I’m too busy answering casual questions about restaurants or nightclubs. I get building rapport is part of role and something I really find engaging in a role but felt a bit deflated after hearing I wasn’t successful due to one persons feedback that reflected the questions and conversation he chose. So that was my complete interview process.

Interview Questions

• ASKED VARIOUS DIFFERENT QUESTIONS THROUGHOUT PROCESS , first 3 were asked in all bar telephone interview

Why sales.
      Why softcat
      Why technology
      Name 3 things about
      Sell me this pen.
      What’s your favourite restaurant
      Where do you like to go for a drink
      Can you work hard play hard   Answer Question

24 Sep 2019 – Recruitment Manager

We appreciate you spending the time to review your experience with us. We're really sorry to hear that the end to your experience wasn't what you had hoped for. We are reviewing this internally to ensure the process is improved and these comments are taken on board. If you would like to speak to use directly to discuss this more please do get in touch on rachelco@softcat.com.

Thanks and good luck with your job search

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Softcat (Birmingham, England) in September 2019.

Interview

Starts with an online video interview, if successful then an assessment centre, by the afternoon they narrow down to a few successful candidates who come back for a 1 on1 interview. Informal, friendly and relatively enjoyable.

Interview Questions

Softcat Response

10 Oct 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for your review of our process, we really appreciate you coming along and taking part in our assessment. We do wish you well for the future!

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Softcat in August 2019.

Interview

They make you do a video interview which is very impersonal in my opinion. They claim to be a company that encourages socialising, but a video interview is the complete opposite of that; very impersonal and makes you feel robotic. Apparently they'll put you through a video interview, an assessment centre, a phone interview and a panel interview. If I wanted to be made to jump through hoops like a monkey I would have joined a circus.

Interview Questions

• What drew you to Softcat?
      What do you expect to be doing on a daily basis?   Answer Question

21 Aug 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're disappointed that you didn't go away feeling positive about the time you spent in our recruitment process, we do pride ourselves on making the experience as enjoyable as it can be! We do have the facility to do an interview via video as it gives the candidates and recruitment team more flexibility around when the interview is undertaken and reviewed. We do say on the invite that if you're uncomfortable or unable to do the video interview, we're happy to do a telephone interview instead.

We are always open to improving our processes where we can, so do feel free to share any additional thoughts and suggestions to me personally and I would be happy to look at them, my email is rachelco@softcat.com.

We wish you all the best in your job search and thanks for applying to Softcat

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Softcat in July 2019.

Interview

Initially was contacted via email and asked to complete a video interview via a phone app. This stage was very simple, asking a bit about you as a person and a but of work history to feel you out, a bit difficult due to the format but very easy questions.

Was contacted soon after and asked to attend an assessment centre a few weeks later at their Glasgow Office. Softcat were very helpful in sending a document with a good description of an ideal candidate, how to prep and what the assessment would consist of.

This is not your typical work environment, I can confidently say the only people in the office wearing business dress were myself and the other candidates. Games consoles were set up and one staff member had brought a dog into work with him, which was quite novel. I will say however this does not come across very professional, during a break from the interview I was barged out the way by 3 giggling young guys in hoodies on their way to play the consoles, and at one point the dog 'made a mess' right outside the interview room!!

We were initially greeted by a fantastic member of the HR team, who was very warm, welcoming and delivered a very informative and engaging presentation about Softcat and the interview process. She then handed over to a Team Leader from the Glasgow branch, who told us more about he various sales roles in a bit more detail. Initially this was a bit uninformative and it was quite clear he didn't want to be there, although this did actually change as we began to question and show a bit of interest in what he had to say. I must say it's hard not to crack a smile when you hear about the potential earnings, which seem very generous at Softcat.

A rookie team member was then brought in to tell us about what to expect in our first year with the company, however this was similarly delivered in a bit of a boring monotone, very uninformative unless pinned down by a question. I don't mean to sound like a prude but the swearwords peppered into the presentation by bit the Team Leader and Rookie did feel a bit too unprofessional even for a more casual work environment.

Were then asked to conduct a speed interview with 3 team leaders, with a minute apiece spent with each. The goal with this being to assess your ability to pitch and build rapport. This was actually quite fun and novel however it did feel like it conflicted a bit with the later 2 minute presentation.

We were then split into groups of 3 and asked to prep for a cold call using a short list of known facts about a fictional company. We were given 15 minutes to prepare and 4 minutes to present, the whole process being overseen by the team leaders from earlier.

Lastly was a 2 minute pitch to a panel of the team leaders mentioned prior , in the format of Why Sales/Why Softcat/Why You? The only issue here is that you are pitching the same information to the same people from the speed interview earlier, and come on guys, smile a little!!

A few days later Softcat made contact via email to say I had been unsuccessful, and even included a bit of feedback which was very nice of them, not many employers take the time. A bit of confusion surrounding my feedback which seemed a little generic (was told I seemed nervous - I am a 10 year management veteran who came in very prepped, and gave a very well structured set of presentations despite the time constraint, and was the first to answer questions or step up to present - trust me guys, it would take a much bigger breeze to ruffle these feathers!!!). I can only assume this was a bit of a fob off as they did seem to be paying attention.

Overall the process was very fun, if a bit too informal at times and seems maybe a little confused. What I would say to someone preparing for an interview with Softcat is to not to worry too much about researching the company or role too much as this really isn't focused on during the assessment. Bar one question (who founded Softcat) this was really not asked about or your analytical skills tested and anything relevant will be explained to you during the first presentation. Instead go out and get a nice haircut, buy yourself a new pinstripe suit and BE LOUD, as this will make you stand out to them more.

Interview Questions

Softcat Response

23 Jul 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your review, we do appreciate the time you have taken to provide the detailed feedback. I have fed back to the office around some of the points you have made there, as there are always things to improve on and I am keen we do all we can to ensure that candidates have the best experience possible when they come to our offices.

We are actually introducing a new assessment process at the end of the year (currently in the design phase), so we're hoping to strike the right balance of activities and presentations and ensure that everyone is comfortable in what and how they are being assessed against Softcat's values and competencies to do the role.

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Softcat (Manchester, England) in November 2018.

Interview

Very simple and quick process. I never applied, got scouted through the Debut app and thought lets have a crack! Positive its a 3 step process; Firstly telephone interview simple enough, and then assessment center and finally a meeting with the sales managers to decide which team you will fit in best, if successful on assessment center!

I wanted to give a detailed idea for anyone out there a little nervous or confused on what to expect on the day so here goes! Starting from the initial phone interview, I spoke with a great lady who was very nice, and asks simple questions such as 'why you want to be in sales? Why in technology? and tell us about yourself...' Very easy and no stress involved on the initial call, then got invited on call to come to assessment center following week in Manchester! Oh and learning a bit of history about the company will look good too i.e company establishment and who created the comp etc are good ways to have a good impression and will be needed in assessment center.

Guys (male and female) do not worry about the assessment center, they send you an email with exactly what will happen on the day, what to expect and what to bring! There is no test for maths or numerical reasoning or written for that matter so rest easy! It lasts for a couple of hours too i think 4 give or take.

Assessment center was actually very easy and I saw another candidate review here on glassdoor reviews saying the exact same! It really is compared to various other assessment centers. There were about 10-12 other candidates who were all really nice and friendly from all sorts of backgrounds and ages which was great. start by introducing yourself and naming a fun fact, then asked about history of Softcat, its an open question so just find out as many facts.
    Mostly presentations about the role and company, then group task which they will inform you prior to the day. there is also a speed interview for 2 min each with 3-4 managers which was fun just quick questions see how fast you build rapport and finally a presentation with yourself and 4-5 faculty members at Softcat. Thats the full day done!

I wanted to give guys out there a full understanding of what to expect and like I said they will tell you what to expect on the day so no surprises which is great! I got the offer next day and asked me to come in a week later to interview with the managers to see which team I would best fit in, but I said not thanks. The role is great for fresh out of Uni students to get their foot in the door of sales orientated roles, however being someone with a bit of experience and considering the pay which was 19.2k i believe with not such an impressive commission structure, this was not for me.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in sales?
      What sets you apart from other candidates?
      Tell us about our company (Softcat PLC)
      Why the tech industry?   1 Answer

25 Jun 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share such an extensive overview of your experience with us. It's unfortunate that you didn't end up joining but it's got to be the right decision for your career and we're glad either way we left you with having a positive candidate experience.

Sales Executive Interview

Interview

I initially had a brief telephone interview before attending an interview at the London office, which was held in a busy kitchen- I found this very off putting, it made me uncomfortable as I would have preferred a private setting.
    One of the men interviewing didn’t seem interested in being there, quite rude!

Interview Questions

Softcat Response

25 Oct 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience and I do really apologise that this happened, we would always book rooms to do interviews so it looks like it unfortunately didn't work out that way in this instance. We have recently undertaken interview training for all of our managers so we hope that all experiences going forwards are improved.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Softcat (London, England) in September 2018.

Interview

Applied online through a job board, got an email to do an online video interview which consisted of questions like why softcat, what do we sell, why sales, what skills do you have, why you type questions after passing that got a call the next day with an invitation to attend their assessment day the following week. It consisted of about 12 people spent my morning listening to a sales pitch about the company and why we should work for them followed by a speed interview process then a group exercise to plan a sales call.
    After that we were told they will let us know the following week. I was sent a generic email saying unfortunately i don't meet the competencies despite me being the only person who knew what a sales cycle was, who led our group presentation and actively participated in everything and passed all their questions with flying colours.

Interview Questions

• Tell us 3 things about softcat   1 Answer
    • 3 most influential people at softcat   1 Answer

25 Jun 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review the experience. We have since implemented a process whereby we'll try and call to provide feedback or in busier months at least send you a detailed email with specific feedback so you're aware of where you hadn't quite hit the mark as we appreciate feedback is important and a great learning opportunity.

Sales Executive Interview

Interview

Went to assessment centre, and at first was given a presentation about the company. Then had to do various group tasks and a 30 second pitch answering: why you, why softcat and why sales ?

Interview Questions

Softcat Response

7 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience with Softcat at interview

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.