TTP Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at TTP

3.6

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourn, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at TTP (Melbourn, England) in January 2020.

Interview

Very technical. Split into 3 1-hour one-on-one interviews, who go through your CV and pick up technical projects and dig into it, or ask standard technical questions (bathtub emptying, how does [generic appliance like dishwasher/microwave] work?).

Overall, the answers they were looking for relied on a lot of academic knowledge. Common questions relied on recalling principles such as Navier-Stokes, Moody charts, Bernoulli, and Electro-thermodynamics. Very high-level scientific, meaning they looked at diving into the maths of certain problems, often asking to solve an issue or find an equation that could describe certain behaviours. Felt like a harder undergraduate university interview. 2nd or 3rd year university knowledge required.

They look for academic excellence. Generally impersonal interviews, not looking for any differentiation in work experience or education, purely on technical ability. Although, the stage after this one was supposed to be an HR one, so probably more personal.

Interview Questions

• What are the fundamental thermodynamics governing a Fuel Cell?   Answer Question
    • With equations, describe a bathtub emptying. What happens if you add a hose to the hole?   Answer Question
    • How does a dishwasher work?   Answer Question
    • [Puts part in front of me] what is this? (Coffee machine water heater). Why have they designed such, what   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TTP in November 2019.

Interview

Following the application on the website, I was invited to a video interview. The interview was with a computer, which I personally don't like a lot, as there is no personal feel to it whatsoever. Following a soft-skills question, then I was asked about 2-3 deep technical problems. Had only 2-3 minutes to answer each and a minute to prepare.

Interview Questions

• How would you test if a carbon monoxide sensor works properly?   Answer Question

Graduate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TTP (Cambridge, England) in August 2019.

Interview

Initial interview starts by a member of HR, overviewing the company. Then 3, 1 hour interviews from several different areas of the company. Lunch was provided. All staff were kind and encouraging, however was left to have lunch alone in the meeting room.

Interview Questions

• Codeing question - how to write a serial communication program. Mechanical question - torque and force based response to a motor running a pump in a closed system. Medical - things to consider when protecting a invasive medical device   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TTP.

Interview

Invitation to their onsite interview, five 1 to 1 interviews followed by visiting their site. Interviewer including HR, group leader, potential internal collaborating members. Their site and office are nice, people are very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Problem solving questions: Brainstorming ways of sensing water level in a tank; Applications of a material which volume can change with temperature, etc   Answer Question

Physicist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TTP.

Interview

Applied through company website. About a week later I received a request for interview. HR sent me a good deal of relevant information regarding benefits, and what to expect during the interview itself.

The interview lasted 3.5 hours and started with ~30m with HR discussing a couple of points on my CV. I then had the opportunity to ask questions at the end.

The next stage of the interview involved 3 separate 1 hour long 1-on-1 interviews with different TTP employees. Each asked a few questions about past projects I had done and also relevant hobbies.

Each interview then moved on to problem solving/technical questions. I was asked 2 or 3 technical questions and to give my solution with explanation on a whiteboard. The questions themselves ranged from standard physics to programming to product design (depending on the interviewer).

Overall the questions weren't too difficult. They were more to see how you would approach and solve a problem rather than getting it correct first time.

Interview Questions

• Derive Snell's law from first principles.   1 Answer

Machine Learning Interview

Interview

First stage of the interview was a 30 minute phone interview with somebody in their medical device team. Asked about my background and experience with certain work approaches. Not a very technical interview, mostly about interest and fit for the position.

Mechanical Engineer Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourn, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TTP (Melbourn, England) in July 2019.

Interview

If the online application is deemed to be acceptable, the applicant is asked to complete an hour-long online assessment answering a technical engineering question.

If the answer is deemed acceptable, the applicant is asked to attend an in-person technical interview. First a member of the HR team will describe the company structure and job description, then two different members of the engineering team will ask a series of resume related questions and technical engineering questions.

If the applicant performs well in the first interview, they will be invited for a second interview. In this second interview, the applicant will meet with the managing director and other senior members. This interview is more geared towards ensuring that the applicant is the right fit for the company socially rather than technically.

Interview Questions

• The questions are all engineering and physics related. Some are targeted to the candidates area of expertise, but most are general. Examples:

If you hold a ruler by placing one finger at each end, then move the fingers closer together, will they meet in the middle?

If the safety of a patient relies on a liquid medication not being administered too quickly, how do you engineer the syringe to dispense more slowly?

If a cyclist is experiencing a crosswind, will they have to put in more effort than they would if there was no wind?

You have two balls of equal mass. One is hollow, the other is solid, how do you determine which is which?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TTP (Cambridge, England).

Interview

Had three interviews with the divisions of the company which were relevant to my educational and career profile. The first interview was a motivational one with HR. The technical interviews were based on first principles eg how would you go about solving a problem and not anything very specific

Interview Questions

• Design a low pass filter, design a system to control a medical device   Answer Question

Intern Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TTP (Cambridge, England) in January 2019.

Interview

Two small written questions online, followed by two interviews on the same day in Cambridge. One interview involved answering difficult, open-ended engineering problems, the other was more about your personality and talking through your application/ CV.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you made something happen?   Answer Question
    • The interior rear view mirror in a new car is experiencing excessive vibrations. You've been asked to solve the problem, how do you do it?   Answer Question

Support Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TTP (Cambridge, England).

Interview

I was interviewed, each in turn by two persons.
    The first was a chap from Human Resources. He was extremely rude. He was late, without any apologies or explanation. He barely proffered a handshake and would not look at me. I have never had an interview with where I sat opposite the interviewer and he looked sideways!!!

The second person appeared to be very nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• You have a good deal of knowledge of the company. Do you know someone who works here?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.