Teradata Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Teradata Interview Questions

Interviews at Teradata

2.9

Consulting Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teradata in January 2015.

Interview

had phone interview and had to fly to interview in person with the manager at a local restaurant near where she lived. The company paid for the airfare and the lunch interview.

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Teradata (San Diego, CA (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by them at the beginning of the week to schedule the interview. They really wanted to interview me, so they asked if they could interview me after hours. I said sure. They asked me basic questions. I was able to answer almost all of them.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about how you handled a difficult situation   1 Answer

Negotiation

It was already set by the temp agency.

Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teradata (San Diego, CA (US)).

Interview

It was a group interview where I meet with entire team at once for one and half hour. I think it was a good interview technique and everyone could hear my answer to questions and I could see how they feel when they are with their manager.

Interview Questions

• Will be OK to relocate and stay with them?   2 Answers

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Teradata in May 2013.

Interview

One telephonic interview and other face to face interview with manager

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Teradata.

Interview

1 telephonic and 1 f2f interview.it was not that difficult.Telephonic interview conducted for 1 hr and f2f for 45 mins.
    Questions on your past project and related to the stages used in that project

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teradata.

Interview

There was 1 round with aptitude questions.
    1 round tech was mainly about the data warehousing concepts (basic) and simple sql queries
    1 round HR They asked simple questions about hobbies and academic projects and achievements

Java Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teradata (Raleigh, NC (US)).

Interview

One phone screen with hiring manager
    Week later scheduled for 3 hrs in-person interview for C2H

Overall the company culture seemed to be like aggressive and micro managed. Anyone can see anyone from corner of the office and hear what you talk. That itself put me off !

Interview Questions

• Difference between synchronize map vs concurrent map
      How is set implemented?
      Singleton implementation?
      How Hashmap works ?
      Coallesce function
      Join vs Union
      Arraylist vs linkedlist
      Microservice – how put is operated with an identifier (URI or payload)
      Why is string immutable?
      Spring beans scope
      SQL Joins/Unions (what and differences)
      Some Architecture idiot was asking about Chess board game and how to implement horse move!!! (looks like he is enthusiastic to interview and lose sight of acknowledging interviewee is a person like him) – Clearly this question seemed to infer lack of compassion in the company.

PS: there is some white-boarding stuff, which I hate the most !!!   1 Answer

Junior Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Teradata (Atlanta, GA (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

3 stages of interview process - virtual interview (questions were displayed in a portal and you will record your responses), phone interview (where you will be asked on behavior questions and understand the basic benefit and compensation package), and in-person interview with partners

Interview Questions

• How would you explain database to a child?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Teradata (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

It starts with a phone screen or a one on one if you are local. If you clear that then you have a full day interview where you first present about your current work and then have one on one interviews with different members of the team.

Interview Questions

• What are B trees, Index selection, Parallel computation questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Teradata.

Interview

Behavioral interview on the phone that lasted about 30 mins followed by a phone chat with an engineering that also lasted about 30 mins. The first behavioral interview was with HR and it was very pleasant. The recruiter was polite and we had I was able to learn a lot about the company as well as talk about my own technical experience.

The phone chat, scheduled 2 days after, was the worst experience I ever had in my life. The engineer was very, very rude. Part of it was my fault. When asked if I wanted tocommit into the database team for a 3+ years I wrongly said that I wanted to explore more fields and try out new things before committing. To which he replied "I'm not going to pay you to do someone else's work". I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. I genuinely tried my best to laugh it off and pacify the situation (maybe he was having a bad day) but he kept on taking it so personally. At one point I said (with more stuttering/stammering then described here) "Look I'm not trying to antagonize you- this is just where I am. I'm a new grad. I need space to learn things not specific to my job description. " but he replied with "I'm not against learning" but the company isn't putting money into our team "to help you get into another company".

The interview pretty much went downhill from there with me trying to explain that "learning new things" does not mean "doing someone else's work". But he just wouldn't accept that. Again, part of it is my fault. It is true that there is a risk in hiring a new grad that is looking to explore- he might find that it is boring and quit. But to simply accuse me of using Teradata as a stepping stone for not willing to form a 3+ commitment on the 2nd interview is just wrong. And quite frankly, unprofessional and rude. The job application even said "Software Engineer" not "Database Internals" so excuse me if I didn't expect to be pushed into a commitment.

Overall, I'm just deeply disappointed. I was very excited to work with Teradata since my interest aligned very well. But I never, in my life, expected to get into an argument with such an obstinate, rude recruiter. Though this specific experience does not categorize Teradata as a whole, I'm sure Teradata is great company that does great work, but this was absolutely the most outrageous, enraging interview ever.

Interview Questions

• Describe your past experiences and why you think you would be a good fit to Teradata.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.