The Challenge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 26 Sep 2017

2.9

HR Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Challenge (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

There was a telephone interview before I was called for a face to face interview. There were few competency based questions including what skills would you like to develop ? Have you dealt with a difficult person?

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Challenge.

Interview

a 4 hour session divided into several exercises. started with the delivery of a speech and progressed through a number of role play exercises (imagine you are the DAPM and you need to brief your team on what is happening today, then answer any questions that your team (the other interviewees) might have), a team-based "create your own charitable event" exercise, etc. Interviewees were taken out one by one for a personal interview, which lasted about 20 mins. At the end, we all reviewed the session, commenting on what we did well and what we needed to improve.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you led a team   1 Answer

Programmer Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Challenge (Birmingham, England) in March 2017.

Interview

Application form followed by an intense assessment centre in groups of around nine. This included lots of role play activities and discussions of how to deal with potential situations, also a lot of prioritising tasks.

Unfortunately they did not contact me to let me know I was successful for the job, I had to contact them twice to find out that i had an offer for a role, due to a computer error, which was very confusing. Even still I have not been sent any information regarding the role.

Interview Questions

• Asked to prioritise a long list of tasks, some time sensitive.   Answer Question

Assistant Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Challenge (Reading, England) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview with a lot less people than other interviews held by the Challenge (other jobs have up to 50 people there) - we had 7 of us. We were given various activities to complete as a group and given scenarios that we had to work our way through. We were also pulled out of the group sessions for a one on one interview with another interviewer. It was a fun day and the interviewers were friendly and open.

Interview Questions

• What previous experience do you have to help with this job?   Answer Question

Programmer Leader Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Challenge (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

- They were really friendly and put me at ease
    - Lots of role play
    -They really wanted us to be relaxed
    - Most of the people at the assessment had worked for The Challenge before but it was a real mix of people and ages going for the APL and PL positions
    - I found out that I was being offered a role within 5 days
    - I originally applied to be a senior mentor, but owing to my experience and CV they assessed me for the roles of APL and PL, and I was offered Programme Leader

Interview Questions

• -Give an example of when you have dealt with Challenging behaviour   Answer Question
    • - What would you do if a young person told you they didn't want to go home because they were abused?   Answer Question

Assistant Programmer Leader (Birmingham) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Challenge (Birmingham, England) in May 2016.

Interview

This was the worst interview experience of my life, and I hope there is enough space here to explain why. Firstly, I was offered an interview on a date I couldn't attend. I phoned and rearranged - this wasn't a problem. When I attended on the new date, my details were not written down anywhere, my name wasn't on the list. I was able to take part anyway.

The assessment day itself was very disorganised - some of the staff seemed to have no idea what was going on. They would tell us that the day was over, before realising that there was one more activity left to do, and so on. They had a lot of paperwork, handouts and so on, and a couple of them seemed to be totally overwhelmed with this, not knowing what was what. There was also one member of staff who would constantly over-ride what the other was saying, interrupting her and saying 'I'll do this bit'.
    There were quit a few slip-ups like this.

The next week, I received an automated email telling me that my assessment day was the following Sunday, and a reminder text. I emailed, to let them know that actually I had already attended one.

I then received another automated email, bizarrely reminding me to go to the assessment centre the previous Sunday (so the one I had already attended, in the past!).

Finally I received an email off a real member of staff, saying that they had a record of me attending, so I was being considered the same as everyone else. Annoyingly though, a little later I received this email again, from another member of staff. Clearly there was a lack of communication here which led to two people sending duplicate emails.

I think the problem here is disorganisation - the staff messed up rearranging my interview, causing me to be sent a tonne of different automated emails with contradictory information on when my interview was. They also seemed unprepared for the assessment day, and generally seem not to communicate with each other regarding correspondence with applicants.

I was told that everyone would hear back within two weeks, whether they were successful or not. It has been three weeks and I have heard nothing. I have no intention of phoning or emailing about it, as to be honest, I have no desire to work there any more!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for The Challenge?   1 Answer

Assistant Programmer Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Challenge.

Interview

The interviewers were very flexible and rescheduled the interview to a day that suites me better. They provided all the information I needed such as venue and what to bring etc. The interview itself was very relaxed and you do get the sense that they are not trying to trip you up but get to know you. I was asked to prepare a 5 min presentation as to why I wanted to work for the particular programme I was applying to work in.

Interview Questions

• Experience of working with young people.
      Experience of communicating with a variety of people.
      How I would get partners for the programme.
      How I manage a busy workload.   Answer Question

Programmer Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Challenge (Leeds, England) in February 2016.

Interview

After a successful application, I was invited to a 4 hour group assessment day. I was in a group of around 10 people and we were set tasks such as discussing hypothetical situations that may arise during the job role and how we would handle them, and giving a 2 minute speech about ourselves and our motivations to work on the NCS programme as if we were delivering the speech to 60 young people.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you have dealt with challenging behaviour   Answer Question

Practitioner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Challenge (Birmingham, England) in January 2016.

Interview

A fairly long 4 hour interview where you're grouped with 4-5 other candidates and complete various tasks together. Although fairly refreshing and atypical, you're given little to no time to prepare for some of the questions and tasks.
    Although I usually try to stay slightly competitive in group interviews this one was one where there was no need for such an approach - groups are mostly split up so that you're not competing against people for the same role. Try to be as social as possible and do your best to play along in all different scenarios that you're put in.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the difficulties you might expect as part of working for The Challenge?   1 Answer
    • You get grouped in pairs of two and one of you is given the literal role of a practitioner and the other one of a young person that's not behaving accordingly.
      One of the sheets contained a scenario where a kid was supposedly missing out on sessions and smoking in the toilets, so you have to resolve this issue with a one-to-one conversation with the kid.   1 Answer

Staffing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Challenge (London, England) in October 2015.

Interview

To apply you needed to send a copy of your CV and a cover letter specifying why you would suit the role against the dimensions stated in the job description.

There was an interview that lasted an hour as well as a written task of 30 minutes.
    The written task comprised of 4 elements:
    - writing a speech that you would give when recruiting summer staff
    - prioritise a task list
    - the order of email correspondence you would send to potential staff
    - a budgeting problem

Interview Questions

• how would you manage relationships with the summer staff that you are responsible for?   Answer Question
    • what would be a success in your eyes for the summer staff at the end of the programme?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.