The TJX Companies, Inc. Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme Interview Questions

Updated 20 Jun 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 10 of over 803 interviews

Interviews at The TJX Companies, Inc.

Positive80%
Neutral20%
Applied online100%
3.3
HardAverageEasy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The TJX Companies, Inc. (London, England, England) in Jan 2020

Interview

Straight forward process, initial application, psychometric tests, video interview and then assessment centre. Tests by Korn Ferry which I always struggle with, Hirevue video interview where I was asked 5 questions and had to speak for 3 minutes. Found it tough to meet the 3min mark on every question. Friendly staff at assessment centre

Interview Questions
  • Describe the off price model?
    Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at The TJX Companies, Inc. (London, England, England) in Oct 2019

Interview

Online questions and cv submission, online tests (verbal reasoning, numerical, logical), video interview which was 5 questions about the business and industry, assessment centre with data analysis, group exercises and interviews.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work here? What are your biggest weaknesses?
1 person found this interview helpful

The TJX Companies, Inc.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The TJX Companies, Inc. in Jul 2019

Interview

I applied online in late 2018 and never heard anything back. I then applied again in June 2019 and got invited to do some maths and writing questions. I thought these went terribly but I got an email asking me to do a video interview so they can’t have been too bad. The video interview was fine - there were 3 questions which were timed - you had something like 1 minute to prepare for the question and 2/3 minutes to answer them. There were thinks like - what experience do you have which would make you good at this job? What does a stock allocator do? What are the general day to day duties of a merchandiser? I also thought this went awfully, I panicked and messed up a few times so didn’t expect to get through. After about a week or two I got a call asking me to come to an assessment centre in their head office in Watford. There were maybe 6 other people there and the day began with doing a data analysis exercise in which you were given some stock to allocate to some stores and some basic information. There wasn’t much information given so for someone who has never been in this role before I found it quite hard to know where was best to allocate to. I don’t think there’s particularly right answers as long as you can explain why you have given the stock to each store. Then there was a 2 on 1 interview with a buyer and a merchandiser for the company. This was really relaxed and informal and just felt like a conversation about why you want the job and what you have done in the past. It lasted around an hour and the first part was questions about the job which I thought went quite well and the second part was competency questions which I didn’t think went as well but I didn’t really prepare for these. Then you did a job shadow which wasn’t assessed but let you go round the offices (which are being renovated anyway) and ask loads of questions to someone who is in the role you’d be doing. Lunch was provided and they’re good with sorting any dietary requirements for you. You then went on a 2 on 1 interview to discuss your answers in the data analysis exercise. If you were confident in your answers and able to explain why you allocated stock to each place and why you didn’t allocate it to other places then you will be fine. You then did 2 group exercises, which it can sometimes be hard to get your point across if other people are quite loud and confident, but as long as you get your point across, engage in conversation, listen to others and know what you’re talking about you’ll be fine. One of the exercises you had to choose 3 out of 5 t shirts that you would buy. Here you need to think not what you yourself would wear but what other people might wear even if you personally don’t think it’s fashionable. The whole day was really fun and relaxed and everyone is more than friendly and nice. I wasn’t too positive that I’d got the job but You’re told you’ll hear back within a week and I got an email after 6 days asking if I’m free for a call the next day. She was lovely and explained I hadn’t got the job but gave me loads of helpful feedback and let’s you ask any questions and explain how you think the day went for you. There wasn’t a specific number of jobs available on the day as they hire on a rolling basis so they just hire everyone who they think is suited for the job. They also pay for your travel to/from the assessment centre up to £150 if you’re coming from the UK and up to £250 if you’re coming from Europe, someone on my day had 2 nights in a hotel and flights paid for by them.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about our off-price business model?
  • What challenges do you think our company currently faces & how can they combat this?
  • Who are our competitors and why, what can we learn from them?
3 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at The TJX Companies, Inc. (London, England, England) in Jun 2019

Interview

It consisted in various stages from applying with cv and cover letter to the assessment centre day.the assessment centre day was easy going but very to the point. You had a 1-1 interview as well as a team exercise and a individual exercise which was similar to the job of an actual allocation analyst.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work here? How can you fit into our company and culture? Why are you interested in retail?

The TJX Companies, Inc.

Application

I interviewed at The TJX Companies, Inc.

Interview

3 stages to the process after applying: aptitude tests (verbal, numerical and logical reasoning), an online video interview, and then a final assessment day at TJX Europe in Watford if you succeed in the previous stages. The assessment day consisted of two group exercises, a data analysis exercise where you had to go on to present your strategy based on the information provided, and a standard individual interview.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Application

Interview

There is an Online application with questions about the company, role and yourself. Then you are asked to complete 3 Talent Q online tests and then a video interview where you are answering questions into a webcam

Interview Questions
  • Describe the off price model, what does a stock allocator do, why do you want to work here

Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The TJX Companies, Inc. (Watford, East of England, England, England) in Sep 2018

Interview

Online test, followed by group assessment and one to one interview with academic and personal questions. Friendly environment and not a high pressure assessment centre, would recommend this company, not just for merchandising but across multiple functions.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

The TJX Companies, Inc.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The TJX Companies, Inc. in Oct 2017

Interview

Online application, online test, one way online interview. Online tests were difficult and each question was timed. Online interview was tough, need to understand TJX business and the off price structure.

Interview Questions
  • What excites you about TJX? Why would you be a good off-price buyer?
2 people found this interview helpful

The TJX Companies, Inc.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 months. I interviewed at The TJX Companies, Inc.

Interview

Met with one of the talent acquisition managers at a Grad Fair who offered insight into the scheme and what sort of work I could expect. After my meeting I applied online where you are expected to answer three questions, include your CV and a covering letter. After this I was invited to carry out the online tests (relatively easy) and online interviews (10 questions). I have now been invited to attend an Assessment Centre later this month

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at The TJX Companies, Inc. (Watford, East of England, England, England) in Dec 2013

Interview

First completed several motivation questions and uploaded CV. Heard back within 2-3 and invited to complete further questions and a 30-minute one-way video interview consisting of 10 questions. Each question appears for 1 minute followed by a 2 minute slot to answer in. If you finish before the 2 minutes are up you can move straight onto the next question.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 Interviews