Interview Question

Senior IT Technician/IT Manager Interview

-London, England, England

Yoti

The wifi doesn't work properly. And for every basic test I could think of, they answered that it proved all was fine but still it didn't work.

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

3 Answers

At the end I said there are more important matters than a broken access point, I would just change it, with a different model and everybody could focus on their real job instead of wasting time (Don't answer that, they wanted someone as talented as themselves to manage their LAN)

Anonymous on

To be fair to the company, in this scenario it doesn't sound very much like the role was for you. I would totally expect a 'Senior IT Technician/Manager' to troubleshoot basic network problems and resolve them without swapping the hardware. Perhaps working in a technical networked environment is outside your current skillset.

Nick Thompson on

Nick, were you there to know what were my answers? It seems so, according to your certainty. I think my answers did troubleshoot basic network problems, as you said. But they wanted a specialist. In such roles, reliably and cost go above pride. You learn to put efficiency above time consuming pride when you are in charge of the whole IT. I installed hundreds of wifi AP in my careers, the answers I gave Yoti always were enough to provide really good service. At the end I said if I can't find, there's no point in wasting more time, Yoti is not a wifi provider and has more important tasks. Money matters, this role would include budget management. When I installed a wifi service for small companies, it worked for years. The next time I'll install one, I would learn for the latest standards: so much changes in 2 years. No need to be a wifi specialist for a small company, and it's easy to re-learn it when it becomes necessary, with updated literature. For your information, their solution was awful, I would never use it unless I'm bored at work and need time consuming tasks, which never exists when alone for the IT Administration of 170 colleagues. But if they like spending time on settings again and again, it's their business.

Anonymous on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.