Interview Question

Legal Interview

-Reading, England

OpenText

They arranged telephone interview with HR. Sent 20 mins telling me what a great company it is, and how I would be a great fit. Then ambushed me by saying they would not take things any further unless I agreed my salary there and then. Would not tell me what they were offering, would not give me an hour to research and come back to them with a figure (despite saying there was a great bonus scheme and many other benefits etc, which obviously one would need to consider - no legal dept salary info on Glassdoor). Refused to tell me why they were doing this, and if they thought refusing to negotiate with someone who is applying for a job where negotiation is part of the jobspec is sensible. Absolutely absurd behavioiur

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

4 Answers

Told them I wasn't going to be forced to making a salary commitment on the basis of 20 mins of sales spiel. They then terminated the call. Can only conclude they are wasting everyone's time by disingenuously using applicants for market mapping or similar. Idiotic company, certainly would not work for any company behaving like this.

Anonymous on

Hi. It sounds like you may have got the wrong end of the stick here. They would have been asking you what your current salary is (so that they know they can at least match that) before progressing. This way they are not going to be wasting your time if their range was way out. There would still have been the normal salary negotiation at the end when they actually moved to offer stage. Both of these are fairly normal practice for every company.

chris on

Anonymous on

Hi Chris. No, that was absolutely not the case at all. Weren't asking anything about current salary at all. Asking for commitment to salary there and then, not even prepared to discuss or give an hour's time to consider. Then terminated because I wouldn't give them a figure. Clearly just market mapping and wasting everyone's time. Or are just wholly incompetent of course.

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.