ThoughtWorks Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

ThoughtWorks Interview Questions

Updated 12 Jul 2018

3.5

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks in September 2014.

Interview

So I am set to graduate this upcoming May and I had received an email from a recruiter 2 weeks before the Fall semester of classes began about if I was still interested in working at ThoughtWorks seeing as they literally offered me full time as a sophomore but didn't realize I was a sophomore at the time looking for an internship, so I replied of course I am. So I was supplied with a programming assignment which had to be finished in a week, I believe. That assignment was a piece of cake that I finished in 3 days. During the second week of classes I received a call from a recruiter about the assignment that I completed and they were just so impressed with it that they wanted me to have a phone interview with them. So the day of the phone interview it went fine, or at least I thought it did. It was just like any other phone interview that I've had but I feel like I bit the dust when I really didn't have any questions to ask them and I asked a generic question about some of the projects that they work on and the process with being an associate consultant. I guess there is a such thing as doing too much research on the company that the questions you may have will get answered too early. I've never heard back from them since. That was back in September and now it is March, so I'll just assume I didn't get the offer.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through Linkedin and the talent scout recruiter got back to me within a week. I was given a coding test where I had the choice between three problems. I chose the directed graphs problem and turned it in a week later. I was also given a questionnaire and thought the questions on it were a bit weird. I was then pushed to a video conference interview with the recruiter. She asked me questions about the coding assignment. She also asked a lot of different types of questions regarding social justice, etc.

Interview Questions

• Do you know the three pillars of Thoughtworks   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

I learned a lot during this interview process. They wanted to make sure this was true. They flew me out to chicago and got to stay in a nice hotel. Learned a lot about the companies philosophy. They travel alot. People were all very nice. Interviewers really wanted to get to know who you are and what you're about. Asked loads of questions about different things...make sure to study up. Be yourself, speak clearly, and do everything else that's considered good in an interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

gave a coding assignment to see how good at oop you were. You can code in c++ or Java, it was up to you. There was an online video interview afterwards. A questionnaire that was oddly political was also involved. Did not really ask much about technical skills, as the recruiter was in HR and not a programmer.

Interview Questions

• design a program that accepts directional input and outputs where those inputs will take you on an nxm grid   2 Answers

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

First couple of interviews were with the recruiter then they had two day in person interview in Chicago. The first day consisted of logic problems and a group activity the second day consisted of three interviews with a lunch break in between.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

Similar to almost all the other associate consultant interview reviews. Started with questionnaire, phone interview about 45min to understand my personality, interests, and ethics. Received an offer to be flown out to Chicago for a 2 day interview. This part was pretty similar to the rest of the AC interview reviews here except I had a portfolio presentation on top of the business analyst interview format.

If you prepare and know your ethics it should be a fluid interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to convince someone to change their mind.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

First I applied through LinkedIn, then I was sent a questionnaire and programming problem. After finishing those and submitting them I had a phone interview which was mostly about soft skills and my experiences. At the end of that I was asked to come in for an interview in Chicago. This consisted of two days full of interviews on my past experience, technical skills, and a social and economic justice interview.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was sent a coding challenge along with a long questionnaire with some random questions (not really tech related). I had an option of choosing one of the three questions to flesh out in the language of my choice.

Interview Questions

• Create production quality code given coordinate inputs/directions and outputs the final location.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

I just finished interviewing with ThoughtWorks and everything that people have mentioned on here about the interview process still holds true. I talked with a recruiter at a job fair at my school, about 4 weeks later he sent me a questionnaire and a coding challenge to complete within the next 3 days. The questionnaire was very long, it asked questions along the lines of "If you were president of the world what would be the first 5 things you would change," and "How and when did you become passionate about technology."

The coding challenge was still the same Sales Tax/Rail path/Mars Rover questions that everyone on here mentioned. (quick tip: if you have the time, you should try and write some unit tests for your code sample, ThoughtWorks is very big on TDD so having unit tests would definitely help your application).

About 1 1/2 weeks later the recruiter got back in contact, asking for a phone interview. This phone interview had your typical behavioral questions (e.g. "Tell me about the last time your convinced someone to change their opinion," "Tell me about your most/least exciting experience on your resume"), questions about your knowledge of the company (you should be able to say what the companies "three pillars" are, and talk a little about what they mean), and questions about social justice in general (e.g. "What is your definition of social justice," "Who are the oppressed and underserved" ... if you are up to date with current events and can reflect on that then you will be fine).

I was also asked at this point what my desired salary range would be, what office I would want to work in, and what other companies I was applying to (The recruiter then asked me to rank ThoughtWorks and the other companies that I was applying for, I navigated around doing this by saying I didn't feel comfortable doing so as I was in different points in the hiring process. The recruiter accepted the answer, but you could tell this wasn't what he was hoping for). Because I had a deadline for another offer within the next week, the recruiter worked very quickly and was able to schedule me for an onsite interview within the next week.

Onsite interview was, again, exactly as everyone described. My advice is to go in knowing what topic you wish to present on for your 5 min STEM presentation. Make sure you are up to date with current events/social causes and can articulate your opinions on these issues. Also brush up on your object oriented programming skills, although this question didn't seem too difficult, I don't have any formal experience with OOP and so I struggled to identify the correct terminology on how to organize various classes.

Onsite interview took place Thurs/Fri, my recruiter called me Monday morning informing me they would not be extending me an offer. He gave me detailed feedback and said that their people were pretty split, and so they encourage me to work on the few trouble areas and apply again in 4 - 6 months.

Tips: As I mentioned before, try and write unite tests for you code sample. Make sure you're up to date with current events and can articulate yourself on whatever opinions you have about these issues.

Lastly, although they are a pretty casual company and everyone is super friendly, it's important to remember that they're a consulting company, so they do still look for a certain air of professionalism from all their employees. Especially because you tend to spend two days with the same people, the interviews tend to be more conversational/team-oriented, and everyone is incredibly friendly and casual, I found it pretty easy to forget this. So just make sure that your mannerism and body language don't come off as too casual.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

After I was contacted by a recruiter, I completed a questionnaire that had questions ranging from how I became interested in technology to what I would do if I were president of the world. At the same time, I also had a programming assignment. I wrote some unit tests for mine, probably could have written more. I asked for more time to finish mine and they gave me a few extra days. I think I also took a personality test online. After this, I had a phone call with a recruiter that was more in-depth than I was expecting. They asked some behavioral interview questions, then asked about social justice and ThoughtWorks' 3 pillars. Be prepared to talk about the pillars, social justice, oppression, things like that. They also asked my salary expectations. At the end of that phone call, I was invited to on-site interviews. I completed two written tests. One was a logic test created by ThoughtWorks. I finished mine, but barely, and I had to check my work. They said not everyone finished that test. They also gave the Wonderlic test which you can look up online for example questions. Hardly anyone finishes this because it is designed to get harder as you go along, so don't worry at all if you don't finish. Then I was given an hour to prepare a 5 minute presentation about any topic in STEM. They want this to be technical, but it doesn't have to be about programming. I picked a topic I knew well enough to answer questions on but that I didn't think they would already be super familiar with. They asked some in depth questions about my presentation. Then they asked me OOP questions. There were some basic questions, like when would you use arrays vs. linked lists, but then we started talking about composition vs. inheritance and some database topics. It started out feeling like a quiz but then became a conversation and I learned a few things during this interview. There was a pair programming interview where we refactored the programming assignment I had done originally. We talked about the principles of refactoring and test-driven development. Think ahead of time about what areas you would refactor your code. We focused more on the OOP principles and testing than making the algorithms more efficient. There was also a values interview, where they asked about something in the news that made me angry. I was nervous about this, but I also consider myself to be thoughtful and empathetic, so I was able to have a discussion about topics that are important to me. It felt like they were grilling me at some points, but it was good to dig into why something is important, and I also think they want to get a sense for how you react under pressure and how you communicate. In between interviews, we had lunch as a group with a bunch of employees and other people who were interviewing that day. I'm not sure if that was planned, but we started talking while we were making our plates and decided to sit together. It was a friendly lunch and I felt like I got to know some of the employees better. The entire process was one of the most difficult interview processes I completed, but I felt like they were able to know me better than any other company.

Interview Questions

I had another (higher salaried) offer at one of my dream companies. It was hard to turn this offer down, though.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.