TransferWise Full Stack Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

TransferWise Full Stack Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at TransferWise

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise (London, England).

Interview

I had a phone screening, followed by a HackerRank challenge, which contains around 25 questions, from which 3 were coding exercises.
The next step was an on-site interview with 2 engineers, which was quite disappointing. I don't think I was asked enough questions to have an accurate sense of my strengths and knowledge. One of the interviewers was respectful and polite, but the other one was the opposite. He was rough, unwelcome and he provided "his right" answers before I could re-think, evaluate and formulate my solution.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TransferWise

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tallinn (Estonia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tallinn (Estonia)) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and my CV was selected.
    The interview process consist of five rounds :
    1. Technical Recruiter’s Interview
    The recruiter mainly discussed my experience and motivation. Then he also explained how this interview process will proceed. This round was conducted via Hangout.
    2. HackerRank code test
    3. Technical Interview via Hangout.
    Interviewer asked me my experience. I was asked to share some of my previous challenging project and how I solved it. It also have coding chalanges that I had to solve in a normal code share platform without auto completion.
    4. Product Interview.
    This is really a unique experience. The purpose of this round is to evaluate whether I’m capable of designing any product. How I relate big picture into my day to day role and tasks. One need to be a product thinker to clear this round.
    5. Interview with VP of Engineering and Senior Product Manager.
    It was really a great experience to talk to their VP of Engineering. He mainly discussed my motivation, like why I want to join TransferWise. We also discussed few basic technical fundamental topics. I did really bad in some of the questions.

During this entire time their Recuiter from Tallinn and their Global Receuitment Lead was coordinating with me. They were really helpful. And finally when I finally got the offer, I didn’t hesitate to accept.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to join TransferWise   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise (London, England).

Interview

Average. But they then send you a "technical test to solve in a third party website, mainly in a development language you don't have experience with. After all they say you don't have the skills as per the test?
    Also they didn't give any reason why the test failed but after chasing several times. Horrible experience.

Interview Questions

• Java stuff that I had no experience with for a JavaScript role.   1 Answer

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tallinn (Estonia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tallinn (Estonia)) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview process was nice. It was programming exercise given for one week to complete. If the exercise is completed successfully, you invited to an interview. Interview starts with the questions about your experience, why you choose this company and the other half of the interview is about the knowledge of programming skills and data structures.

Interview Questions

• The difference between array list and linked list, their time complexity when do add/remove operations   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (London, England) in March 2017.

Interview

I completed an online HackerRank test, and then I was rejected at the first interview. The test is fairly easy, and I believe anyone can crack it provided s/he gets some practice on the platform beforehand.

In all honesty, I think I did pretty horribly during the interview and I would have rejected me in their shoes, but I can still produce some useful piece of advice for those who want to apply.

The whole interview (via Hangouts) was a bit weird. I was asked to design a system (won't go into the details as I believe companies deserve the right to re-ask their questions to other candidates) and was sent a link to an online notebook where one of the interviewers wrote some sketchy (pseudo?)code I was supposed to build my solution upon. I tried to engage a discussion about the assumptions, requirements, and challenges of the problem, and most importantly search for a suitable algorithm and data structure. I think a whiteboard and being there in person would have helped quite a lot. I didn't have a way to sketch my ideas (and no, designing a system with a keyboard is not the way to go), and I don't think the interviewers actually followed me in my (lengthy) reasoning, and in fact they ended up distracted, working on their laptops with me struggling to regain their attention. That was my ultimate defeat and when that happened I knew it was over! :)

This doesn't mean I couldn't have done better, and here's the thing: these people are not interested in you floundering about the details you so much care about, they won't take it as a sign of focus on detail, but rather lack of overall vision, and need of direction. They'll get bored. They'll get bored real quick. Even if the solution is not perfect, just quickly verbalize it, swiftly code it, and fix it later (maybe, or maybe not - I am not even sure it is required at that stage). I think that's also the company culture on the job, not just during interviews.

Full-Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise in July 2015.

Interview

The process starts with a phone call with the recruiter who ask a few questions about background, skills, projects and usual motivational questions. After the first call there is a coding challenge composed of 3 coding problems and something like 20 questions, everything to solve in 90 minutes. The coding challenges were quite interesting but not very difficult, the other 20 questions were about back-end and front-end environments (a lot of java focused questions, html, css, caching..). After the online coding challenge I had a skype interview with the engineering lead and another developer.
    In this call they were walking me through a designing challenge and they were asking motivational questions. No technical questions asked, but I guess this is because they already had no intention of proceeding with my application. Before starting the process with transferwise make sure you have a strong interest in moving money around the world and a strong passion for what they are doing, they are really fixed on these motivations!!

Interview Questions

TransferWise Response

27 Jul 2015 – Internal Recruiter

Hi There,

Thanks for reviewing our interview process on Glassdoor, we really appreciate feedback so that we can continue to improve out interview process.

With regards to the Skype Interview, we would never have an interview with someone that we are not really interested in, I can only apologise that you got that impression. The Model the Solar system is a part technical questions as it is more looking at how you think and OO programming. However unfortunately on Skype this can be harder to conduct that in the office - something we need to look at.

Thanks again taking the time for review us,

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (London, England) in June 2015.

Interview

First, they ask you to complete a coding challenge on HackerRank. Nothing to difficult, a few web technical questions and two coding problems.
    Then, you get an answer from them in the following days and an invitation to a interview on site.
    I got 3 interviews on site with different people from TransferWise: lead developer, developer, product marketing, VP of engineering. It was really friendly and was almost only quick discussions about technologies I used at work or on my projects, or how I would design an API for a product that does <insert something>. Also, they asked what would I change/add/delete in their product.
    Finally, I got a interview with the CEO which is part of their process when recruiting full-time employee. Again, it was 30minutes chat about some projects I did, why I wanted to join TransferWise and what I would change in their product.

Interview Questions

• Describe a high level overview of the API of a product like tumblr. How would you architect the API?   1 Answer

20 Jul 2015 – Recruiter

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review our interview process on Glassdoor. It really helps us to understand what we are doing well and also what we could improve in our interview process. We are really happy that overall you had a positive experience and we are really excited you will be joining us!

Thanks,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise (London, England) in June 2015.

Interview

I had two on-site interviews, a Skype interview with their lead engineer and several catch-ups with my recruiter on the phone. I was asked some knowledge questions on Javascript that required a good understanding of basic concepts like coercion, closures, post/pre incrementation.

Interview Questions

• Some of the questions were designed to see how quickly I could make sense of obfuscated and complex snippets of code. I had one design question. I was asked many cultural fits questions.   1 Answer

20 Jul 2015 – Internal Recruiter

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review our interview process on Glassdoor. I am really glad that you had a positive experience overall. It is really useful for us to understand what people did and did not like about the process so we can continue to make it better.

It is a shame you are not joining us, however I wish you the best for the future and the door is always open here!

Thanks,
    TransferWise

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.