TransferWise Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (New York, NY (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

Applied online. The first interview was 45 minutes over Zoom. I was asked a relatively simple OOP design problem and the interviewer was very collaborative and easy-going so it went smoothly. I had to either use Java or Javascript. The good part is that they are more interested in seeing your thought process and don't worry about code compilation. I was also asked questions about my resume after. I quickly heard back and was next invited to a 90 min technical interview with two devs. Once again, the interview was collaborative (peer-programming style) and the interviewers were laid back. They asked two main questions: debugging and improving a java game and an sql subquery problem (which I fumbled on). They also asked questions about web security. I got rejected, but ended up getting very detailed feedback on what I should improve on.

Interview Questions

• Understand how to code a singleton   1 Answer
    • Design a coat check system   1 Answer
    • How can cookies be comprised or manipulated? What are some headers that add security?   1 Answer
    • SQL subquery which uses 3 tables   Answer Question

Senior Backend Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at TransferWise (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The process was quite fast. After applying in the website they send me a link for a "Transferwise Challenge" in HackerRank 9 questions, 90 minutes. 3 were coding questions. 1 about SQL. I didn't handle to finished everything, seems like I'm slow. 1 day after, I recieved and email explaining I didn't pass their threshold. No hard feelings. They were efficient. But now I feel imposter syndrome.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (New York, NY (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Had 2 rounds of interviews first was coding task with a developer. All the interviewers seems to be immature the questions that they asked were misleading when I asked for clarifications they couldn't give ones. In one of the assignments the inerviewer agreed that I quote "much of the applicants says that the desription of the assingments is not clear", so based on this as expected I got rejection saying that I didn't understood the assignments and brief desription of good and bad strengths.
    This is commendable that they tried to describe the reason because not everybody tries to do it. Otherwise the reasons were pure garbage, probably template they they send to rejections, I laughed then desided that based on the immature people that I was talking I will never use their service to move personal money.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It's disappointing that this company is not giving interviewees an opportunity to bring their best foot forward by not giving an accurate description of what the first technical interview will entail. For me it was: 15 min of past experience, 30 min system design, 30 min coding, 10 min questions. In the email from the recruiter, and the technical prep article, it's not clear at all that there will be a 30 min system design interview - just mentions that it may go surface-level into system design. Since every other company I know doesn't ask this in the first round interview, I didn't prep for system design material.

Be prepared for lengthy systems design questions in this first screen. Understand microservices and architecture deeply. I was also doing this interview remote since I'm not where this role is based. It's difficult to do a system design question over hangout, and the setup was awkward, because one of the interviewers was trying to write on a whiteboard but I couldn't see what was written.

One of the interviewers was on his phone during the interview, and a dog walked in the first 5-10 minutes of the interview. Overall not a pleasant experience.

I really appreciate that they share feedback. But, the feedback I received, one of the points wasn't accurate. One of the interviewers asked me technical details about a project that was from over a year ago, which is not related at all to what I work on now. This was one of the reasons I was given that they were passing, but the way it was worded was "you worked for 2 years ... but had a really hard time explaining..." which sounded particularly harsh and unnecessarily rude. I didn't work on this project for 2 years, and I haven't touched it in over a year, which I had explained on the call.

The interviewers were otherwise kind but the interview experience makes me not want to work with this company in the future.

IT Helpdesk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

Probably the Worst Interview, I had in a while... Very disappointing....They were two zoom interviews....the first was okay...the second they did not show up.....their HR had to reschedule me, they blame it on the change of time....yeah right......why would you interview me with the same questions from the first interview......it does not make sense, it just shows me that they did not care about my first interview.......
    I had two Zoom interviews with 4 IT current employees.........What is the difference between RAM and ROM......and that was it.......I cant believe that two different interviews would ask the same thing....nothing else...I can tell the current IT help desk is not technical at all........They dont care about the experience or your degree....they are looking for a specific type of person...........Pet free environment....really.....they care more about your reaction with pets rather than you showing passion for IT and the company.........For Transferwise management they should put more interest on the interviews....They can lose great talent out just because they are too disorganized.....They should have better people interviewing new talent.......but maybe they dont care....my advise would be for the worker to look for a company that really cares about your abilities...

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

It was not like any other interview you have had. They will ask you fun questions to get to know you, and the basic questions about the company. If you get through the first interview, then you do a zoom interview which is more serious, but still very laid back.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

I had to submit an application, answer a few questions about why I'm applying for the position and create a few social posts. After this I had a phone interview and after this would have been face-to-face interview, but as I was applying from another country, we did a Zoom call.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about an interesting marketing campaign you've seen recently   Answer Question

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL (US)).

Interview

The interview process was very organized and great to be a part of. The steps flowed very smoothly and communication was open at all times. I began with the application and then I was asked to complete a sample test on Indeed. I received feedback on this test and was contacted for an in-person interview. Everyone was very nice from the moment I walked in. The interview itself was memorable and I felt very comfortable being there. My second interview was done over Skype which was convenient because I was in Yosemite at the time. It was great that this was so accommodating. The second interviewer asked more professional questions compared to the first interview where they were just getting to know me. Later that day I was contacted that I got the job and the person who delivered this news to me stayed on the phone for about 30-40 minutes explaining what to expect from there and other things like benefits. Also received emails throughout the whole process regarding updates and follow-ups and any forms/documents I needed to read or turn in.

Interview Questions

• Teach me a skill in less than a minute. Do you think people are intrinsically good or bad?   1 Answer

IT Helpdesk Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

This company seems different and a lot more progressive than most employers, heck they even have a "nap room" and stuff like a Nintendo Switch playing area. But! They still play the "you don't have enough experience" card. I was offered an interview through email. I was scheduled about 2 weeks out for the interview. The interview was very relaxed and actually quite enjoyable! They genuinely seemed to understand where I was coming from, and the frustrations of someone looking for that first IT job. After the interview, I was given a tour of the facility. The place seemed more like a hipster millennial coffee shop than a professional workplace. I even found some of it absurd. Dog friendly? Whatever. After all this I'm told, you will differently hear back from us in about a week. A day later, I get a rejection email. So much for that 1 week in Estonia.

Interview Questions

• What Star Trek character are you most like?   1 Answer
    • How weird are you on a scale of 1 through 10?   1 Answer

Customer Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL (US)).

Interview

Lots of getting to know you type questions trying to assess me as a person rather than my work experience. I had an interview in person and then one during a Skype call.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.