TransferWise Operations Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

TransferWise Operations Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at TransferWise

2.9

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tampa, FL (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from a recruiter to come in for an interview in the following days. The call was at 8 pm. I went to the offices and the lady that interviewed me was nice and polite. It was just a bit awkward for different reasons. When I first walked into the building I immediately thought that it wasn't for me. From what I can see, there were a few long tables with back to back computers at a very close proximity. I know this isn't an issue for most people, but I have always worked and had my own personal little area. Then, we went into a room and she started asking me normal interview questions, had the "How are you weird?" question in there, and it was all going well, she seemed nice. Until at the point of the interview where they say that it is a linear organization and there are no managers. So, not really much promotions or things like that. It got awkward for me because I couldn't hide it anymore that it wasn't where I wanted to be or the type of organization I wanted to grow with. I know the people there seemed content, it just wasn't for me

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TransferWise

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2019.

Interview

There were a total of 3 rounds: First with the team you would work with on a daily basis, second with managers, and third with the Head of Operations. The first 2 rounds were on-site, while the last was a video meeting. The team did a great job setting expectations: Explaining that they will need to write notes on an online form during the interview, each interview’s purpose, the overall process, and follow ups. Arranging for an interview timeslot was also pretty efficient.

Applied through their website and received a response the next day for an interview. After each interview, I received a response by the next day (but do give the team at least a few days to a week to respond). After the last round, I received a call from the recruiter on the details of the offer and on-boarding process.

The questions cover a wide range of checks: personality, relevant skills, motivation, job and product understanding, work ethic, consistency (in how you present yourself through cover letter, resume, and interviews), etc.

Interview Questions

• What did you dislike about any of your previous companies or jobs, and what do you hope to see in TransferWise?   Answer Question
    • Share with us your understanding of the job you applied for.   Answer Question
    • What do you know about TransferWise?   Answer Question
    • Would you choose to complete a task perfectly but late, or on time with areas of improvement?   Answer Question

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallinn (Estonia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tallinn (Estonia)) in October 2018.

Interview

Applied online, got mail with 4 times available for interview. First one was one on one, without any funny or unusual questions. After 4 days got mail that they are waiting for me for a 2nd interview with team leaders, one of them was by Skype. They asked more personal questions. After that in 3 days got rejection mail. All mails are sent by bot and last one even is no-reply. So you cant even ask any questions to them.

Interview Questions

• Experience, Motivation, How I can be useful for team and company, What is it I want from company   Answer Question

Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

The interview process took 2 weeks. There are no levels of hierarchy, interview involves a team leader and other team member of the same rank which i applied for. It was a tad awkward when i was asked for my salary expectation. Interview process was full of questions, challenging and casual, and they try to judge your personality through your answers.

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Singapore (Singapore)) in July 2018.

Interview

Mostly questions on culture and how you would fit in. Very little on the technical aspect of the role as they believed this can be trained if you have the right attitude and the mentality that will fit you in the team.

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2018.

Interview

I was told, it will be an interview with “future colleagues” followed by section head/team leader then finally the founder.

Some of the comments made by one of the interviewers were unnecessary. The interview was weird because they started asking each other how they would have answered the questions they posed to me. They even proceeded to give their answers. I don’t think that’s good etiquette. Wasn't it supposed to be my interview and not theirs?

The position was explained partially. I had more questions but they ended the interview then. It felt like they only wanted to know my answers rather than finding out what I wanted to know.

I got the feeling that one of them didn’t like me and was simply faking it. I felt judged for who I am personally rather than whether I have the expertise and knowledge to perform the job.

They asked me about one thing I dislike about my current job. I gave my answer and one of the interviewer misconstrued it completely.

The interview questions were copied from other innovative companies, based on all the research I’ve done. I actually anticipated every single one of them even though they were supposed to throw the interviewees off their guard. Insensitive and fake. I wonder if everyone in the company needs to fit in with the popular/mean ones before getting hired? Or did she let her personal feelings cloud her judgement?

Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

Totally don't understand what they are asking for in a candidate. Doesn't really pay to be frank about your motivations to join the company. For the first interview, the interviewers mentioned that travelling could be one of the perks of joining the company. Used that for the second interview and nope, didn't get me through. Apparently stating that you like the international exposure of the company doesn't get you throught too.

Interview Questions

• What if you were working with someone you dislike the most?   Answer Question

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallinn (Estonia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tallinn (Estonia)) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online for the position of Operations Specialist. About a week later their personnel contacted me to schedule an interview. The attititude was very friendly and we exchanged a couple of letters and scheduled a date for the interview. I also received information about certain details of the interview. But everything went south after that.

On the day of the interview I arrived at the Tallinn office of TransferWise. I was interviewed by two employees, unfortunately some of the information provided about the interview before turned out to be incorrect. The interview was conducted in English.

Preloaded with intel from Glassdoor reviews and TransferWise insiders I was expecting a fun and loose conversation, it was nothing like that. The interviewers were most of the time dead serious, they asked no questions about me as a person, about my hobbies or sth like that, also no funny or weird questions.

The main problem with the interview was that the interviewers had absolutely no idea about the sector that I had been working in before as my main job (I was an operations specialist with a lot of experience in operational work). Although I tried to explain and answer their questions as best as I could about my past job, I still got a feeling that they simply were unable to understand my experience or what the sector is about. They turned no attention to the fact that I also had a secondary job for many years that would complement the operational experience, they asked 0 questions about it, I almost had a sense that maybe they hadn't read my CV and application letter.

The interview took about 45 minutes, after which I was asked to fill in a written test. I am not going to disclose any of the questions, but there was a nasty surprise there - there were some questions that I would call factual questions that I was simply unable to answer because I had no experience or training with this particular topic that they asked about.

A couple of days later I received information that they had decided not to move forward with me. The explanation was that there were candidates with better experience. Turned out that they were seeking for people with experience in banking. I didn't have it, and I also got incorrect answers to the factual questions in the written test. But: experience in banking was NOT A REQUIREMENT and it was not mentioned in the job ad. I would have never applied if it had been a requirement. Also from the additional information it was clear that the interviewers had a total misconception about the sector I had been working in. Also it was stated that I had no other experience, which was simply not true (but as you remember, they didn't ask anything about my secondary job or interests).

I cannot blame the company for seeking experienced specialists in a particular field, but please, write it in your job ad. I could have saved the company and myself a whole lot of time by not applying. Also another suggestion for interviewing future candidates - maybe provide for the interview at least one interviewer who has had at least some knowledge about the sector where the applicant has worked before.

Additional remark - this was my first interview ever where the invitation to the interview contained an instruction about what to wear. Although the company likes to state in various sources that they don't like corporate nonsense, I would say that writing in the e-mail the dress code is pretty close to corporate nonsense.

Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise.

Interview

The interview process can be long, usually consisting of at least 3 separate interviews with different people, but some interviews can be done via Skype. The environment is casual...first time I've ever worn jeans to an interview! The first interview is conducted by your future co-workers, then you get to meet with the upper level revolutionaries. They make it very clear that they are looking for certain types of people who will be a positive addition to the team and who will fit in well with the company's values and culture.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate on pay, was told everyone starts at the same amount.

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tallinn (Estonia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tallinn (Estonia)) in June 2015.

Interview

I have participated in a Payments challenge, which was very interesting because before any interview I registered to this event and it was one saturday, was very nice to visit Transferwise offices for this Challenge, in this event TW explained us generally how all departments work, and then we were supposed to apply for the position that we felt we fitted more.

I applied after this challenge and then I had one interview with the operations team lead and one of the operations colleagues. After these interview, I had an interview with the head of operations, and he was asking about my previous experience and about my previous interviews. Both interviews were face to face.

After that interview I had an online interview with the founder of the company which I found the most tough interview asking about my past achievements and experience, and how would I do a positive impact in the area.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.