TransferWise Senior Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

TransferWise Senior Software Developer Interview Questions

Interviews at TransferWise

2.4

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (New York, NY (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Had 2 rounds of interviews first was coding task with a developer. All the interviewers seems to be immature the questions that they asked were misleading when I asked for clarifications they couldn't give ones. In one of the assignments the inerviewer agreed that I quote "much of the applicants says that the desription of the assingments is not clear", so based on this as expected I got rejection saying that I didn't understood the assignments and brief desription of good and bad strengths.
This is commendable that they tried to describe the reason because not everybody tries to do it. Otherwise the reasons were pure garbage, probably template they they send to rejections, I laughed then desided that based on the immature people that I was talking I will never use their service to move personal money.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TransferWise

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (New York, NY (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

Applied online. The first interview was 45 minutes over Zoom. I was asked a relatively simple OOP design problem and the interviewer was very collaborative and easy-going so it went smoothly. I had to either use Java or Javascript. The good part is that they are more interested in seeing your thought process and don't worry about code compilation. I was also asked questions about my resume after. I quickly heard back and was next invited to a 90 min technical interview with two devs. Once again, the interview was collaborative (peer-programming style) and the interviewers were laid back. They asked two main questions: debugging and improving a java game and an sql subquery problem (which I fumbled on). They also asked questions about web security. I got rejected, but ended up getting very detailed feedback on what I should improve on.

Interview Questions

• Understand how to code a singleton   1 Answer
    • Design a coat check system   1 Answer
    • How can cookies be comprised or manipulated? What are some headers that add security?   1 Answer
    • SQL subquery which uses 3 tables   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2020.

Interview

Got referred by a friend working in TransferWise

First, you will need to complete an online Hackerrank Test. The test duration is 90 mins. Mixes of MCQs and Coding questions. MCQs are in the domain of OOP and a few common engineering knowledge. Coding questions have both Algorithm and SQL. All are mid-level nothing too difficult. Get yourself familiar with Hackerrank beforehand and you should be fine.

Next Recruiter will have an initial chat with you for 30 mins. My recruiter was friendly and professional.

The next round gonna be an onsite technical round with 2 engineers for 90 mins. We went through my background and the system that I have previously worked on. We did 2 algo questions, again, mid-level, your thought process is what matters here.

If you pass the technical round, there is a product round after this, you will meet a PM and discuss your thought on product development and decision in general. The round can be pretty fast, mine last 30 mins.

The final round is a Tech Lead round, where I meet 2 tech leads. It's like a combination of both technical and product round. My impression of the tech lead is good. They do have a very deep technical knowledge base on my discussion with them during the interview.

I got an offer a few days later. The recruiter will schedule a Zoom meeting with both of the team leads above to go through the offer and the detail of my position with me. This is a very unique experience as in other companies, normally recruiters will just call you to announce the offer.

Overall, I feel like TW really cares about each candidate and willing to spend a lot of time and attention on potential candidates.

Interview Questions

• Mid Level Algo Questions, as long as you practice some Leetcode Medium question, you should be fine.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallinn (Estonia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tallinn (Estonia)) in January 2019.

Interview

1. Hackerank test.
    2. Talk with H.R person.
    3. Technical interview with 2 developers from a none English speaking country. From the accents, I think they are from Estonia or some place where they speak a Russian related language.

Interview Questions

• The two people who interviewed me are not proficient in English. I don't think they speak English regularly. I'm not a native English speaker but I have native proficiency in English. These guys struggled to understand what I was saying and I also struggled to understand what they were asking. An example is this question they asked me, "When you open IntelliJ and you click the Spring button, what happens?". After going back and forth with them, I finally figured they wanted to ask, "How does Spring Boot startup?". This would have been a straight forward question had it been asked by a proficient English speaker. My advice is they have people proficient in English interviewing, or at least have a proficient/native English speaker go through the interview questions. Ignoring the bad English, the interview questions were actually quite interesting and fairly challenging.   1 Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallinn (Estonia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tallinn (Estonia)) in August 2016.

Interview

6 rounds of interviews:
    1. Call with company hr.
    2. Online coding test. There were multiple theory questions (mostly about frontend) and trivial practical coding task (algorithm).
    3. Technical interview.
    4. Product interview.
    5. Technical interview.
    6. CEO/CIO interview.

My coding skills, technical knowledge and experience hasn't been checked ever.
    The only thing I was asked on all interviews - Why do you want to work with us? Even on technical interviews.
    Seriously, 70% of any interview is spent on asking this question, and other 30% - on asking if you fit their working culture.
    So ideal candidate is the person who is the master in a*s licking.
    If you try their product or read their technical blog you will see that their working culture corresponds to interviewing process - low quality of the product and lack of serious technical experience.

The only positive moment in all interviews was a product interview. That was really fun to solve product issues with the help of their product specialist.

After the 6th interview I was rejected with the reason "the answer's you gave did not demonstrate an deep level of knowledge".

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.