TransferWise Team Lead Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

TransferWise Team Lead Interview Questions

Interviews at TransferWise

2.0

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TransferWise (London, England).

Interview

Really nice recruitment team probably the best I have ever dealt with. They were friendly, patient, and swayed the decision to join the company. Please respect this team and don't push them with your endless demands and unprepared hiring plans.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TransferWise

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (London, England) in August 2019.

Interview

Apply through Linkedin. Got a call from one of the recruiters. Arranged a 30m telephone interview with one of the engineers after 2-3 days. Received positive feedback the day after. Got invited for a 3 hour on site session.

During the onsite session you will get to interview / discuss with different people from different functions

- Product managers
     - Senior engineers from the team
    - Engineering managers and the CTO if he is there

The interview is not very hard. On the product side they want to assess if you are going to bond with the existing teams and function of the product - thus the term product engineer. You might get some questions about process. agile etc.

The tech interview is again not very thorough, you might get usual questions about reading files and loading them to a DB, questions about what is a ledger (kind of a weird question since this is close to accounting), questions related to DDD and event driven architecture. Nothing difficult

The overall process was not hard, but you get a feeling that they mostly judge you as a character rather than an engineer, if you say the things they want to hear or if they judge that you are good material to fit their culture they seem to be ok.

Feels like they want to just onboard - people and the standards are low, most probably why they said they want to expand massively in numbers.

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallinn (Estonia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TransferWise (Tallinn (Estonia)) in July 2019.

Interview

None of the HR was present, only 2 other team leads.
    Most of the interview was an ad to the service / product :
    "You should use our services", "Did you know that we can do X?" -
    When I asked for their experience and feelings about the culture and an overall "Why should I join this company?" - no clear answer from the team leads, only buzz words - "We are making a revolution".
    Felt like being in the store with someone trying to sell me something.

A lot of racist remarks from the interviewers - "We know that X (ethnicity name) steals and can't be trusted."

Most of the questions required a lot of wild guessing, as no other information was provided. After trying to clarify, the information given was contradicting itself.

At some point, their questions became so abstract, that it was not possible to answer - instead of checking my skills and trying to understand me, the focus was on presenting their product.

Had to recite their values and a mission and to explain them what they mean.

I was not given a chance to ask a lot of questions, as the time was running out.
    An overall feeling during the interview was unpleasant and unprofessional - interviewers had no experience in this area, thus a lot of fluff and no clear structure.
    The meeting itself was in a room with 3 glass walls and people just walking around, was not that soundproof - all the time people were walking, talking and distracting.
    Signing in is a bit complicated: taking a picture, entering details and having a badge "Visitor" and a key card. Checking in and out everywhere with that card.

Interview Questions

• How much did you transfer by using our services?   1 Answer

The offered salary was less than previously discussed. The whole office looks like a sweatshop - open space and lights everywhere.
    After talking to some friends who are already working in there - the culture is missing. It is more about the hype and flash, instead of a real place.

TransferWise Response

27 Aug 2019 – Marketing Executive

Thank you for your time to provide us feedback on your recent interview experience at TransferWise in Tallinn. I'm sorry to hear you had such a disappointing experience. I'm gravely concerned about alleged racist comments raised from an employee as we have a zero tolerance approach to this kind of behaviour. In this instance, we'd recommend you following up with us directly so we can look into your feedback properly and address it accordingly. To do that, you can get in touch with your Recruiter or alternatively reach out with your contact details by emailing us at employerbrand@transferwise.com, addressing your message to Ross S and we'll follow up from there.

Feedback is really important to us so thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes, Ross

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.