Uber Marketing Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 14 Jan 2019

3.4

136 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Dallas, TX (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

First two interviews were with a recruiter (very behavioral questions in nature). The 3rd interview was with a marketing manager (from a different region other than the one I was interviewing for) & was managed over Skype. The next step was a "creative assignment" which you had a week to complete.

Interview Questions

• What was a recent article you read about Uber & what did you think?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Washington, DC (US)) in June 2016.

Interview

Three months after submitting my application, I was contacted by recruiters, the email seemed a bit disorganized. I received about 3 phone screens and then an email asking me to complete a creative test.

Interview Questions

• I took the creative test. The test took 15 hours. I wish I were kidding.   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber in November 2016.

Interview

I was really disappointed in the disorganization and lack of professionalism for such a reputable brand. After submitting my application online, I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter. Very high level HR stuff. She knew very little about the role and was unable to answer specific questions I had. Basically she recited the online job description back to me.

I was still interested and decided to go through with the next step: a creative exercise that required putting together a marketing campaign to achieve a certain business objective. You have approximately one week to complete the assignment. I put a decent amount of time into this and was selected for a video interview with someone on the team.

The video interview was the most troubling part. The manager lacked any charisma or enthusiasm. I'm sure she was very bright but it was very hard to connect with her and she acted as if I was wasting her time. She didn't ask me about the assignment I had spent hours on until the last 3 minutes of the call when she pointed out a mistake I had made. Instead we spent 27 minutes going through your typical behavioral interview questions. She didn't seem satisfied with any of my answers. I can only imagine what it would have been like to work for her.

Interview Questions

• Give your Uber elevator pitch
      What is your biggest weakness?
      What made you interested in marketing?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY (US)) in July 2016.

Interview

I was referred for this position and a recruiter reached out to me to schedule an interview. The recruiter rescheduled an interview several times, and did so last minute, which was not a big deal. But during the interview I was either on speaker phone or the phone had a problem, but I could hardly hear the questions. To say it was unprofessional is an understatement. I was asked couple basic questions and then told I do not qualify for the position. The interview lasted 4 minutes and it was just enough for me to realize I would not want to work at Uber.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL (US)) in July 2016.

Interview

I was impressed by the entire interview process with Uber! Rather than applying online, I started the process by attending a networking event at the office. I tried to meet as many team members as possible and made sure I connected with the hiring manager. I also had an internal referral from a friend. After receiving the HM's contact info, I reached out about scheduling a phone interview for the next week. The phone interview lasted 30 minutes and consisted of me discussing my background and then some overall campaign ideas for the Marketing Manager position. After that, I was assigned a creative exercise to complete in 2-3 business days. The CE can be pretty overwhelming if you let it be. My goal was to do my best on the exercise, but not spend more than a couple hours. When I sent it back, I was excited to hear that the team wanted me to move forward with the interview process.

Two additional phone interviews were scheduled: one was focused around on the spot campaign ideas and the other was geared toward my answers to the CE.

After the phone interviews, I was asked to come on-site for a 3 hour interview with 3 different groups. The first hour focused on my analytical skills and the questions below. It was the most difficult for me. The second focused on the job duties and general partnership ideas with current Marketing Managers. The final portion was a video meeting to ensure that I was a good cultural fit. Questions like: what's the most frustrating part of your job, what motivates you, etc.

The hiring manager was very involved in the entire process and even called me prior to my on-site interview with tips and advice. We also discussed compensation and Uber's bonus package. Two days later, my team lead and the hiring managed gave me a call with the good news.

The process moved much faster than I thought it would. I didn't have to follow up once about updates or decision-making. They are very clear about next steps.

Interview Questions

• How would you re-engage users who have only used Uber once? How can those different audiences be segmented?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL (US)) in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via email, set up a phone interview, and then was asked to complete an extensive project. You will be asked to complete a project for this position. I sent over the project within 3 days. I was then completely ghosted by them. Never heard a no or any feedback for that matter. I followed up with the recruiter, 4 times, and still heard nothing. Very highly unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a brand you would partner with, and how would you bring value to them?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Austin, TX (US)) in September 2016.

Interview

Ridiculous. Questions asked are sophomoric at best. The HR person asking the questions reads off his/her Q&A sheet and then hangs up. Not helpful at all. And unprofessional. How about telling me a little about the job itself and then let's see if it is a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Why is Uber a good fit? How will you fit in? Why do you think this is the job for you?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Uber (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in August 2016.

Interview

My phone interviewer was condescending and short with me. The response to my background was "um okay". They told me "you're not what we're looking for we need someone who works solo and has launched campaigns on their own" This was completely out of line with anything I had said about myself, she didn't listen at all. I don't know what they are looking for but good luck everyone.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a marketing campaign you launched   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Uber in August 2016.

Interview

Best way to describe this interview process: a million unnecessary, unproductive and unprofessional hoops. First you get an email asking you to set up an interview with a recruiter, the call is about 30 minutes and it's the typical tell me about yourself etc (in my case, they told me they were looking for someone with more experience and I was lucky to get an interview...not the greatest way to start things off.) If the recruiter likes you, you get a creative assignment - my assignment was had 3 cumbersome components that seemed entirely too in the weeds for the stage of the interview process (remember, at this point I don't even have an interview with the team). 1 of the 3 components would have been a fair request, or all three if you were in the final stages of interviewing, but this was a lot of effort and time to spend on a project where you might not even get to talk to/interview with the team itself. If you pass the creative exam (I found out that I passed after 1 business day) they set up ANOTHER call with a DIFFERENT recruiter, who then sets up a call with someone on the actual team (for the first time in the whole process). This is where things got especially frustrating - up until this point, although there were a lot of hoops to jump through, the recruiters were responsive and friendly (although not particularly professional). The recruiter told me he would email me shortly to set up an in person interview, but I didn't hear from him for several days until I got a generic, automated email saying "thanks but no thanks" from the "uber hiring team"'s alias. You'd think that after dragging you through all of those steps, spending hours on a project (yes, I agree with the other comments about idea mining) and developing a personal connection with the recruiter they would at least have the professionalism to email you directly rather than sending an automated email, and be more clear in their communications as to not lead you to believe you have an in person interview when you in fact do not.

This review is in now way a reflection of being bitter about not getting the job - you win some you loose some. This is a review about Uber's hiring process being completely backwards and unprofessional. I found Uber's bait and switch completely off putting. Recruiters should be more upfront, direct and professional in their communications, they should not ask you to do a massive project before even meeting with the team to see if there is a chemistry fit and they should work to streamline the process to save everyone some time and energy.

Interview Questions

• Name a brand (besides Uber) you think has successful, memorable campaigns.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn and after a quick phone screen (he was a contract-based sourcer), passed me to his actual recruiter. She had a quick phone call with me and prefaced the rest of the hiring process with "Well, we approach compensation by weighting it heavily on our stock" - which, in hindsight, was a huge red flag. She said she would send me a test assignment to complete before I would be able to talk to the hiring manager/team, and then forgot to send it to me.

After I followed up, I sent over the assignment and was contacted a week later to schedule a video interview with a member of the team. The recruiting team told me the team member would be asking me about my assignment in a quick 30 minute session. Unfortunately, that's not what they told my first interviewer who believed we had a 45-minute behavioral interview scheduled. She passed me onto the next round, which was in-office, and I met 4 members of the team.

None of the folks I met in person seemed to be excited about their jobs or the company, or prepared at all for the interview. They all asked very basic questions, cared very little about my experience and what I could bring to the team, and just wanted to see if I would stick around the office and work late hours. In the end, I don't think they thought I would, and so I'm glad they decided to pass.