University of Birmingham Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Birmingham Interview Questions

Updated 4 Oct 2017

2.7

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Birmingham.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted for interview within two weeks. The interview took one day and consisted of a teaching demonstration followed by 7-person interview panel. The whole process was pretty standard and fairly well organised.

Finance Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England) in April 2017.

Interview

Panel interview with three senior members of the team. Made to feel at ease but difficult questions. Was also given 5 questions to answer to relating to finance and previous experience.

Site Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Birmingham.

Interview

Short phone interview followed by an assessment centre (very easy) and short interview (around 20 minutes). Questions were very easy (basic competency questions) and assessment centre was one of those if you were on an island what items would you keep? They are more interested to the reason behind your choices and not the choices themselves

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Birmingham in September 2016.

Interview

Roughly one month after the application I was called for interview. The interview itself required that I prepare a presentation on how I would approach the research. It went well.

However I did my homework and knew this position was set up for one of the interviewer's PhD students. And later I was told they found a more 'appropriate' candidate.

It's a shame but pretty much standard practice. I spoke to other Professors from my University and they confirmed it. So don't hold your hopes too high.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England) in July 2016.

Interview

properly structured, informed prior in invitation, very clear for their requirement, shortlisted the online applications, sent invitations with detailed JD and interview structure and then face-face interview with group/panel, they did background check in parallel, also contacted referees for detail feedback for the candidate.

Interview Questions

• my experiences and approach to tackle different situations.   Answer Question

Physics Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was fun and stress free. It was a 4 person panel. I was asked standard professional questions. The interview went well.

I was asked 1 technical question which I struggled with but I engaged with the panel and eventually I got the right answer.

Physics Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England) in April 2016.

Interview

I was interviews by a 4 team panel. It's was a fun and relaxed interview. I was asked some standard questions and then shown around the university.

I contacted the university before applying to come and see the department. I was fortunate to be shown around. I realised many of the machines I would be using with the job I had previous experience with so I made sure I mentioned those experiences.

Interview Questions

• Why I applied for the job?
      What previous experience made this a suitable position for me?
      Some technical questions about 2 pendulums and how to connect them?
      What I was able to bring to the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated and was able to get the top advertised salary.
    I negotiated via HR and I was happy that I did.

Laboratory Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Birmingham.

Interview

Applied via the online recruitment system which was quick and straight forward. Recieved an email a few days later for invite to interview. Interview was straight forward but had 4 people on the interview panel which seemed unnecessary for a technician post.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England) in February 2016.

Interview

There was a 10 minute presentation to around 20 staff followed by questions. This was early afternoon and I returned after a couple of hours for the main interview, where there were four people asking questions. Questions were relevant and focused on the abilities and competences. The interview process was good, though feedback given was conflicting and confusing.

Interview Questions

• How would I manage priorities with next day deadlines given from the Head of School and Director of Operations on top of existing work.   Answer Question

Student Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Birmingham (Birmingham, England) in October 2015.

Interview

I had a 10 mins interview with the person in charge of ambassadors and another experienced ambassador. They asked me around 10 questions, trying to mainly test my communication skills and the fact that you are able to interact properly with another people. Didn't get the job though, probably I applied to late.

Interview Questions

• What will you do when people are not paying attention to you?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.