University of Cambridge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Cambridge

3.1

PhD Candidate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Two round interview process, first a fit/motivation interview then a technical interview discussing past work and digging deeper into knowledge surrounding that research. Outcome was emailed to me a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Why study at the University of Cambridge?
      How does an SEM work?   Answer Question

MRes+PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Japan, MO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Japan, MO (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by 2 staffs in 2 sections each lasted about 20 minutes via Skype. Very fast-paced about 30 basic questions during undergrad. Friendly regardless, was asked different topics when unable to answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your research project in your undergrad final year. What is your motivation applying for this course.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

It took them months to respond, then expect you to be prepared the next day. Interview done via telephone. Simple questions. It is your duty to keep asking about the interview result, otherwise you do not get an offer quickly.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

The interview was over skype and lasted about 30 minutes. Nothing about it was particularly difficult; mostly asked about previous research experience, academic awards, etc... The only thing that really bothered me, though, was that they said that they would get back to me in a week and it took an entire month.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about "x" on your resume?   1 Answer

Senior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in September 2013.

Interview

Applied through email. Recommend checking the website jobs.cam.ac.uk. Got back to me for an interview a 7-10 days post the submission deadline. Interview was then 14 days after.

Panel of interviewers. Questions ranged from detailed questions about the post, specifics on my CV, what I would do in different scenarios with demanding clients, ability to reply quickly to emails, and future goals.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of the job posting do you think you will struggle with? What aspects will you excel at.   Answer Question

Communications Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in April 2020.

Interview

I originally applied for this post online and was invited for an interview, which was then cancelled as the Covid-19 pandemic forced the country into lockdown. As far as I was concerned, this interview might or might not happen until after the end of the lockdown or when restrictions have been partially lifted. Imagine my surprise to get told six weeks later that they wanted to do it over Zoom. Two written tests were also asked for, all while stuck in the house. I thought surely, this institution would be seriously considering me, it was a foregone conclusion given the trouble that they were going to while in a lockdown.

As a result, I agreed to the Zoom interview and spent several hours working on the written exercises. The interview lasted a miserly 30 minutes, comprising a "panel" of three, each in different rooms in their homes. It came across as quite casual. Questions were asked relating to the role - these were supposedly competency based but I don’t think questions like “Can you do this [particular task]?” really count as that. They did not ask anything connected to my work history or discuss my application in depth. Wondering how it would work and why the role was needed to be filled at this point in time, I later questioned why they needed someone given that universities are shut. It seemed odd and I was given a vague answer, almost like “we don’t know what is happening at all either but, hey ho, we’ll muddle through.” I was informed at the end of the interview that other people were being interviewed, but this wasn’t setting off alarm bells as I have been told that before when offered posts and as mentioned, the circumstances surrounding the interview led me to be overly confident. A few days later I was rejected - they’d bagged their ideal candidate and it wasn’t me. Getting a rejection was bad enough to stomach in the current climate but to realise that they actually went through the motions of interviewing a range of candidates as if it was normal times - this left a very bad impression and was actually depressing. The feedback also implied right from the onset that they had their ideal candidate - so given the circumstances, it would have been wiser to just interview them if filling the role was that urgent, which, quite frankly, it wasn’t. Hopefully, it will be my first and only lockdown job interview. What a joke, but it seemed the joke was on me.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Involved a standard written application, a Skype interview and then an interview in person. People were friendly and I had interviews with many members of the lab and gave a research presentation about my previous work. It was a useful and non-stressful experience.

Interview Questions

• Give us a quick overview of your previous research experience.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Lengthy interview with a large panel from the department. Topics can vary year to year depending on the panel. Specific information on your research project is needed in order to perform well.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Mostly describing my previous work and finding links to the group's interest. The process took place via skype and the answer came shortly after that. The panel that interviewed me consisted of four experts in my field.

Grad Student Interview

Interview

5 men at laptops, questions about the science of sensor technology, what are my strengths, what are my weaknesses. Was in the old CEB. This was specifically for the sensor CDT programme.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.