University of Cambridge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Updated 15 Aug 2017

3.1

MRes+PhD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Japan, MO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Japan, MO (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by 2 staffs in 2 sections each lasted about 20 minutes via Skype. Very fast-paced about 30 basic questions during undergrad. Friendly regardless, was asked different topics when unable to answer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your research project in your undergrad final year. What is your motivation applying for this course.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

It took them months to respond, then expect you to be prepared the next day. Interview done via telephone. Simple questions. It is your duty to keep asking about the interview result, otherwise you do not get an offer quickly.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

The interview was over skype and lasted about 30 minutes. Nothing about it was particularly difficult; mostly asked about previous research experience, academic awards, etc... The only thing that really bothered me, though, was that they said that they would get back to me in a week and it took an entire month.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about "x" on your resume?   1 Answer

Senior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in September 2013.

Interview

Applied through email. Recommend checking the website jobs.cam.ac.uk. Got back to me for an interview a 7-10 days post the submission deadline. Interview was then 14 days after.

Panel of interviewers. Questions ranged from detailed questions about the post, specifics on my CV, what I would do in different scenarios with demanding clients, ability to reply quickly to emails, and future goals.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of the job posting do you think you will struggle with? What aspects will you excel at.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England).

Interview

I applied online, using the University's own online system. I was required to ask three different people to send my prospective group reference letters on my behalf. This was done by email. Got an email confirming that my application was received. After a few weeks, I was notified, also by email, that they would like to invite me for a personal interview in Cambridge (they covered the costs with travel and accommodation for one night). After one week, I received the job offer.

The interview took just over an hour, and it was not easy in general (the interviewers were absolutely polite, but the questions were tough). I consider it to have been a fair interview.

Interview Questions

• They sent me papers I needed to read in preparation for the interview, and asked me many questions about them. This was to assess my competence and experience in the field. Then, they asked many technical questions related to the methodologies and tools that would be used in the work to be carried out. Some questions of general nature were also asked, such as "Why do you want to leave your current place and came work here?".   Answer Question

PhD Candidate Interview

Interview

Emailed CV and cover letter, then telephone interview, then face to face interview, then online application, then industry sponsoring partner application review, then department application review, then college application review and finally degree committee application review followed by an offer

Student Registry Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online through the university web recruitment page, then received an email notification that I had been successful and would I like to attend an interview, for which I confirmed that I would and attended a face to face 40 minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this role?
      What are the challenges that you think you will face in this role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Overall time from application to interview: 2 weeks.

Interview was face-to-face, with the P.I. and a postdoc, followed by a lab tour with one of the other PhDs in the team after the interview

The interview covered experience, technical knowledge, and personal attributes (organising your day, dealing with conflict, etc.). The interviewers were happy to answer questions at the end as well. Overall, not a bad experience, though the post-doc was a little brusque.

Interview Questions

• What are three words you would use to describe yourself?
      What are the steps of a PCR?   Answer Question

PhD Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, South West England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, South West England, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Create a presentation on your research proposal, present the presentation. Answer questions about your presentation, past experiences that will be useful to the role, and practical experience that you may have in the field of the chosen research topic. Ask questions about the role and their own experiences? Discuss how this might work with you and them as your supervisor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online after seeing the job advertised on jobs.ac.uk. I received an invitation to interview approximately 4 days after submitting my application. The interview was conducted by a panel of 3 people and the questions were competency-based.

Interview Questions

• What challenges would you expect to come with this job and how would you overcome them?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.