University of Cambridge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Cambridge

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in July 2017.

Interview

Thorough, in-depth, very specific, focused, versatile panel with diverse expertise, non-overlapping questions. Three rounds of interview. The panels were very well prepared and very well organized. They made the best use of every single moment (which I really appreciated because I am very pro-efficiency). I like challenging questions; don't care much if I know the answer. I was adequately challenged and that is the reason why I finally accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Very specific problems to solve; it was very relevant, and complex but I was given 3 mins of quiet time to think about the problem and take notes.   2 Answers

Medical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

2 x 45 min scientific interviews. No questions on personal statement. Usually 2-3 fellows per interview asking difficult questions that you need to work out. They will prompt you if you get stuck.

Interview Questions

• Questions on post-A level topics that required original thinking particularly cell structure, physiology.   1 Answer

Digital Media Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in July 2013.

Interview

Invited to interview at the last minute on Friday afternoon, whilst at a conference in Devon, for an interview on Monday morning in Cambridge. I arrived on Sunday afternoon and spent the evening preparing. I was told to prepare a 20 minute presentation, following a prescribed formula, on an analysis of their existing digital media strategy with proposals for possible future changes. In the interview next day the presentation seemed to pass muster and generally impress, even with some laughter. So far so good.. The panel of 7 sitting on the other side of a huge long table then began asking a series of obscure and mostly unrelated questions which they would repeat verbatim when I asked them to clarify. I eventually gave a slightly clipped but honest answer to the first bizarre question, based on my own experience. I thought this question was very strange given the scope of the role I had put in for, and two panel members seemed to react as though they had been personally insulted and injured by my response. The interview went downhill rapidly from there. Staggered by this reaction to what was an innocent statement, I finished up being more or less escorted from the building in ignominy by the departmental secretary as though on a charge of disreputable conduct. I was on the first train back to Devon!

Interview Questions

• How would you speak to a civil servant?   2 Answers

PhD Candidate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in July 2011.

Interview

A phone interview with my potential supervisor where he asked me about my background. Tested on engineering formula and asked lots of questions about my background. I was also asked about my proposal for the project.

I was then invited to meet the research group during their conference. There, I was about to chat with the team and see if I was a good fit

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in December 2009.

Interview

I entered the room and was faced with a scene from the Bible. 6 balding aged men where sat round in a semi-circle and then proceeded to fire questions at me for 40 min until they felt they had build enough of a picture of my personality to make me an offer.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in April 2018.

Interview

Fair process, was asked about previous relevant experience, no trick personality questions. I was asked relevant questions about how i would solve problems encountered normally during the job and what tools i would use and whether i was familiar with the latest advancements in the field.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years in your academic career and what are two essential things that will take you there   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in March 2015.

Interview

I contacted the professor personally as well as applying online. Personal statement and CV. After a long time of waiting for it to go through all the different beaurocratic levels I was invited for 1 on 1 interview

Interview Questions

• I don’t remember exact details but I had to draw graphs and derive some equations (this was for a position in the physics department)   Answer Question

PhD Candidate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in January 2016.

Interview

Face-to-face interview with my supervisor and another academic, during which I was mainly asked about the research I am interested in. Furthermore it was tested if I know what is happenning in that field of research. All verbal, no written test during the interview.

Computer Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in October 2015.

Interview

Application, invitation to interview. There was a practical and technical test. The panel consisted of 4 people. There was a fair amount of waiting around but I also got a tour of the place which was useful .

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in December 2017.

Interview

I was invited to Skype interview with a panel of three academics from the department of Chemistry, which lasted approximately 20 minutes. I had been asked prior to the interview to send a short powerpoint through outlining my research proposal, which I then presented to the panel, and answered their subsequent questions about this and the field more generally.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe how secondary organic aerosols are formed from their gaseous precursors?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.