University of Cambridge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Cambridge

3.1

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in July 2017.

Interview

Thorough, in-depth, very specific, focused, versatile panel with diverse expertise, non-overlapping questions. Three rounds of interview. The panels were very well prepared and very well organized. They made the best use of every single moment (which I really appreciated because I am very pro-efficiency). I like challenging questions; don't care much if I know the answer. I was adequately challenged and that is the reason why I finally accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Very specific problems to solve; it was very relevant, and complex but I was given 3 mins of quiet time to think about the problem and take notes.   2 Answers

Medical Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

2 x 45 min scientific interviews. No questions on personal statement. Usually 2-3 fellows per interview asking difficult questions that you need to work out. They will prompt you if you get stuck.

Interview Questions

• Questions on post-A level topics that required original thinking particularly cell structure, physiology.   1 Answer

Digital Media Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in July 2013.

Interview

Invited to interview at the last minute on Friday afternoon, whilst at a conference in Devon, for an interview on Monday morning in Cambridge. I arrived on Sunday afternoon and spent the evening preparing. I was told to prepare a 20 minute presentation, following a prescribed formula, on an analysis of their existing digital media strategy with proposals for possible future changes. In the interview next day the presentation seemed to pass muster and generally impress, even with some laughter. So far so good.. The panel of 7 sitting on the other side of a huge long table then began asking a series of obscure and mostly unrelated questions which they would repeat verbatim when I asked them to clarify. I eventually gave a slightly clipped but honest answer to the first bizarre question, based on my own experience. I thought this question was very strange given the scope of the role I had put in for, and two panel members seemed to react as though they had been personally insulted and injured by my response. The interview went downhill rapidly from there. Staggered by this reaction to what was an innocent statement, I finished up being more or less escorted from the building in ignominy by the departmental secretary as though on a charge of disreputable conduct. I was on the first train back to Devon!

Interview Questions

• How would you speak to a civil servant?   2 Answers

PhD Candidate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in July 2011.

Interview

A phone interview with my potential supervisor where he asked me about my background. Tested on engineering formula and asked lots of questions about my background. I was also asked about my proposal for the project.

I was then invited to meet the research group during their conference. There, I was about to chat with the team and see if I was a good fit

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in December 2009.

Interview

I entered the room and was faced with a scene from the Bible. 6 balding aged men where sat round in a semi-circle and then proceeded to fire questions at me for 40 min until they felt they had build enough of a picture of my personality to make me an offer.

Communications Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in April 2020.

Interview

I originally applied for this post online and was invited for an interview, which was then cancelled as the Covid-19 pandemic forced the country into lockdown. As far as I was concerned, this interview might or might not happen until after the end of the lockdown or when restrictions have been partially lifted. Imagine my surprise to get told six weeks later that they wanted to do it over Zoom. Two written tests were also asked for, all while stuck in the house. I thought surely, this institution would be seriously considering me, it was a foregone conclusion given the trouble that they were going to while in a lockdown.

As a result, I agreed to the Zoom interview and spent several hours working on the written exercises. The interview lasted a miserly 30 minutes, comprising a "panel" of three, each in different rooms in their homes. It came across as quite casual. Questions were asked relating to the role - these were supposedly competency based but I don’t think questions like “Can you do this [particular task]?” really count as that. They did not ask anything connected to my work history or discuss my application in depth. Wondering how it would work and why the role was needed to be filled at this point in time, I later questioned why they needed someone given that universities are shut. It seemed odd and I was given a vague answer, almost like “we don’t know what is happening at all either but, hey ho, we’ll muddle through.” I was informed at the end of the interview that other people were being interviewed, but this wasn’t setting off alarm bells as I have been told that before when offered posts and as mentioned, the circumstances surrounding the interview led me to be overly confident. A few days later I was rejected - they’d bagged their ideal candidate and it wasn’t me. Getting a rejection was bad enough to stomach in the current climate but to realise that they actually went through the motions of interviewing a range of candidates as if it was normal times - this left a very bad impression and was actually depressing. The feedback also implied right from the onset that they had their ideal candidate - so given the circumstances, it would have been wiser to just interview them if filling the role was that urgent, which, quite frankly, it wasn’t. Hopefully, it will be my first and only lockdown job interview. What a joke, but it seemed the joke was on me.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Lengthy interview with a large panel from the department. Topics can vary year to year depending on the panel. Specific information on your research project is needed in order to perform well.

Grad Student Interview

Interview

5 men at laptops, questions about the science of sensor technology, what are my strengths, what are my weaknesses. Was in the old CEB. This was specifically for the sensor CDT programme.

Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in December 2017.

Interview

I participated in two interviews in total across one afternoon. They were academic in nature and not hugely based on experience or submitted work. One was source based, the other was based on a personal statement. There was no dress code and the style was friendly but the interviewers were keen to push you and ask unfamiliar questions.

Interview Questions

• Outline the key features of this source   1 Answer

Tutorial Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in January 2020.

Interview

I submitted my application via email to Corpus Christi and they responded about one week after the closing date, right before the holidays. From there, we scheduled an "IT skills test" for after the holidays, on a Tuesday, It was just a mail merge saved as a PDF on a flash drive, then composing an email. Then, they narrowed it down to the final four for a forty-minute panel interview. Everyone on the panel was very friendly and professional, and their questions became more and more in-depth as the interview went on. It went from "tell us about your relevant experience" to "here's a difficult scenario, how do you deal with it?" Overall, a very pleasant experience despite a disappointing outcome.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance when you had a time-sensitive project you had to complete yourself.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.