University of Cambridge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Cambridge

Library Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a brief tour of the particular area of the library that I had applied to work in, along with an opportunity to meet the team with responsibility for that area and ask incumbent team members questions.

Following the tour, I was taken by a member of the interview panel to the interview room. There were three panel members: the manager of the department that I had applied for a position within, the assistant manager of that department and a Director with overall responsibility and oversight.

The interview itself included a series of sensible questions directed towards my employment history, generally requiring me to extrapolate the lessons that I had learnt in previous roles and demonstrate that I could apply the benefits of my experience within the library context. I was presented with a brief exercise that tested my ability to prioritise a potential future workload under different stressful conditions. Finally there was a period of open conversation which provided an opportunity to ask questions and determine the kinds of responsibilities and future projects that were presented to employees.

Interview Questions

• How did (experience x) help you succeed in your following job role and how do you see it benefiting you at this library?   Answer Question

Human Resources Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in July 2019.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later I was invited for an interview.

Upon my arrival I was to request for the HR Administrator who came to collect me from the reception, she took my passport and made a photocopy of it for the right to work document.

I was then taken to a room where I was given 4 Administrative tasks to complete

1. Calculate the hours on 3 timesheets
    2. A payroll calculation which was very confusing given the instructions were not clear
    3. Send an email to someone to request information needed to prepare a temporary workers agreement
    4. Rank scenarios in order of their importance, this would then be taken in with me to the interview room

After 30 minutes I was taken in to the interview room where I was interviewed by 2 women one of which was the HR Manager and the other was the Hub Manager.

They asked a series of questions and at the end I was able to ask mine. They informed me they were interviewing others but they were expecting to make their decision by the end of the day ideally.

After this, I was to have an informal chat with the HR Administrator and a fellow colleague, they were friendly however at some points it was a little awkward since there wasn’t much to say. I had a chance to ask them more questions and I was able to find out the role was made available as the HR Administrator was being seconded for 4 years beginning 1st of August.

I heard back about 3 hours later saying they’d offered the job to someone else and the offer had been accepted.

Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in June 2019.

Interview

Informal chat, then two tests: audio typing (for accuracy) then make a pivot table.

The location and nature of the job didn't match the job description that I had read when applying online.

After the interview they forgot that they hadn't asked me to do the written test. I had to ask to do it. This made it feel as though they had someone else already lined up for the post.

The department refused to provide any feedback after they had completed the recruitment process. I was just sent an email. I had taken the whole day off work to attend, and had invested a lot of time in my application.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most important part of the job?   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Learned about lab through an internship. Sent in standard CV/cover letter and a Skype call with PI. Asked about my research experience, research interests and why I wanted to work in the lab I applied for.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in April 2018.

Interview

Fair process, was asked about previous relevant experience, no trick personality questions. I was asked relevant questions about how i would solve problems encountered normally during the job and what tools i would use and whether i was familiar with the latest advancements in the field.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years in your academic career and what are two essential things that will take you there   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in March 2015.

Interview

I contacted the professor personally as well as applying online. Personal statement and CV. After a long time of waiting for it to go through all the different beaurocratic levels I was invited for 1 on 1 interview

Interview Questions

• I don’t remember exact details but I had to draw graphs and derive some equations (this was for a position in the physics department)   Answer Question

Phd Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (London, England) in December 2018.

Interview

Everyone is very friendly. Asked to give a short self-introduction at the start of the interview. Asking questions about the research proposal and the future plan. The interviewer also introduced the PhD programme e.g. courses they will provide.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in January 2019.

Interview

It was a very informal interview with 3 academics from the chemistry department. I first gave a short presentation on my previous research, which they followed up with questions. The questions weren't very technical, more about generic background information, steps moving forward, etc. Then it was more of a chat than a formal interview which was quite unexpected.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Basically, they had no idea what they want to develop. They had raised some grants on the subject matters they had no prior experience on. The interview process took such a long time.

Web Editor Interview

Interview

I applied online and was interviewed a fortnight after the closing date.

The interview was average by CU’s erratic recruitment standards, but really shouldn’t have taken place at all, suggesting poor preparation by those involved. It featured a panel of three non-academic staff whose questioning was vague, narrow and hurried that gave the impression that they’d never read my application properly - perhaps they were going through the motions with someone already lined up for the post. The interview actually didn’t open very well when one of the panel made an odd comment suggesting that they only vaguely remembered a simple personal detail from my application yet got it wrong. The interview required a very short presentation, but at least one of the panel appeared to have been expecting me to deliver something else, again as if my application had not been read properly. Lastly, the feedback was just a repeated list of parts of the person specification in usual HR gobbledygook that did not provide anything remotely constructive and should have been used for shortlisting purposes. Indeed, the feedback only went to confirm that I’d been led on a farcical merry dance by this institution and should have never applied. Once bitten, twice shy as the proverb says, given that this was not my first experience.

Interview Questions

• What do you think of our website?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.