University of Cambridge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Cambridge

3.1

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Applied for the role after a recommendation from educational supervisor in the department where I was conducting research. It was a short term assignment to further my research activities. I had an interview with two senior members of the department which was about an hour long after I had submitted my CV and covering letter

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

1 hour long interview. With three professors. Asked engaging questions, more to get to know the candidate than to trick them. Come prepared to discuss your previous research experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you could not find the data you want for your project?   Answer Question

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cam, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cam, England) in January 2020.

Interview

A casual interview with older students responsible for running the process. Basic questions about background and motivation were asked. A few questions about how I would respond to a possible situation were asked.

Tutorial Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in January 2020.

Interview

I submitted my application via email to Corpus Christi and they responded about one week after the closing date, right before the holidays. From there, we scheduled an "IT skills test" for after the holidays, on a Tuesday, It was just a mail merge saved as a PDF on a flash drive, then composing an email. Then, they narrowed it down to the final four for a forty-minute panel interview. Everyone on the panel was very friendly and professional, and their questions became more and more in-depth as the interview went on. It went from "tell us about your relevant experience" to "here's a difficult scenario, how do you deal with it?" Overall, a very pleasant experience despite a disappointing outcome.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance when you had a time-sensitive project you had to complete yourself.   Answer Question

Student Interview

Interview

Two interviews followed by an exam. The interviews were technical focus and the exam was strongly related to the course, questions somewhat like university examination questions, keeping their technical focus

Interview Questions

• Balancing items using a scale   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

I had 3 interviews. The first one was general one, about my interests and my motives. The second one was with 2 fellows about biology and the third was with a chemist. First one was around 15 mins, and the other 2 around 30-40mins each.

Interview Questions

• Asked about mechanisms of gene recombination and pH regulation. Asked about chemical structures.   Answer Question

Student Interview

Interview

During the interview I was asked many in-depth mathematical questions based on the courses listed on my CV. If I could not immediately answer them, then the interviewers gave hints.

Natural Sciences Undergrad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Interview

Two interviews. I applied for Physical natural science (chemistry and materials science).

First interview started off with chemistry questions about formulae for molecules and how I would deduce some. Followed to sketching mathematical functions which are seen in chemistry (Morse potential).

Second interview was completely on maths. More sketching function. Sketching quickly using whatever tricks you know

Interview Questions

• sketch the following function

I can't remember the specific form of the functions. one was the Morse potential.
      others heavily involved trig functions multiplied by exponentials etc.   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Learned about lab through an internship. Sent in standard CV/cover letter and a Skype call with PI. Asked about my research experience, research interests and why I wanted to work in the lab I applied for.

Human Resources Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in July 2019.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later I was invited for an interview.

Upon my arrival I was to request for the HR Administrator who came to collect me from the reception, she took my passport and made a photocopy of it for the right to work document.

I was then taken to a room where I was given 4 Administrative tasks to complete

1. Calculate the hours on 3 timesheets
    2. A payroll calculation which was very confusing given the instructions were not clear
    3. Send an email to someone to request information needed to prepare a temporary workers agreement
    4. Rank scenarios in order of their importance, this would then be taken in with me to the interview room

After 30 minutes I was taken in to the interview room where I was interviewed by 2 women one of which was the HR Manager and the other was the Hub Manager.

They asked a series of questions and at the end I was able to ask mine. They informed me they were interviewing others but they were expecting to make their decision by the end of the day ideally.

After this, I was to have an informal chat with the HR Administrator and a fellow colleague, they were friendly however at some points it was a little awkward since there wasn’t much to say. I had a chance to ask them more questions and I was able to find out the role was made available as the HR Administrator was being seconded for 4 years beginning 1st of August.

I heard back about 3 hours later saying they’d offered the job to someone else and the offer had been accepted.