University of Cambridge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Cambridge

3.1

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Basically, they had no idea what they want to develop. They had raised some grants on the subject matters they had no prior experience on. The interview process took such a long time.

Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in June 2019.

Interview

Informal chat, then two tests: audio typing (for accuracy) then make a pivot table.

The location and nature of the job didn't match the job description that I had read when applying online.

After the interview they forgot that they hadn't asked me to do the written test. I had to ask to do it. This made it feel as though they had someone else already lined up for the post.

The department refused to provide any feedback after they had completed the recruitment process. I was just sent an email. I had taken the whole day off work to attend, and had invested a lot of time in my application.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most important part of the job?   1 Answer

BA Land Economy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England).

Interview

PS sumitted by Oct 15
    Call for interview in mid-Novermber (20th)
    Early December (first week) interview
    2 interviews 25min each Had them in the afternoon with two our gap
    Assessment before hand.
    Standard procedure as posted online on websites. Student room forum was very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Why this course? Why not economics or geography?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

Interview

I started with a 45-min presentation, summarizing my most recent research and trying to focus on the most important and publishable findings of my research along with information about how I developed the relative techniques. Then a short meeting with the PI followed

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I am interested in this position and also to state the techniques and methods I am familiar with particularly related with the vacancy   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

private interview with few interviewers in the department. It really just depends on the interviewers' style. It doesn't have to be very formal. The interview process is fairly friendly. Quite enjoyed it.

Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied Online. I was given one day notice for a Skype interview that I did my best. I could not see video of the panel members, so I spoke to the blank screen, which was not that problematic as sound was clear. I was never informed about outcome of the interview. My follow up email requests to the HR and hiring manager for updates were never responded. I am well aware of interview and hiring process in the UK higher education institutes, majority of them have set high standard of professionalism when it comes to the matter of communication with a candidate. Within this scale Cambridge has fallen very short on this occasion I am afraid. Overall, shocking post interview experience and I felt disrespected.

Interview Questions

• Mostly technical and how would I solve an existing technical problem they are facing   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in January 2019.

Interview

It was a very informal interview with 3 academics from the chemistry department. I first gave a short presentation on my previous research, which they followed up with questions. The questions weren't very technical, more about generic background information, steps moving forward, etc. Then it was more of a chat than a formal interview which was quite unexpected.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (London, England).

Interview

goood, a bit stressful, but people are nice.
    Cambridge is very competitive place. Especially for undergrads. Grads have relatively flexible time arrangment. GOod Friends. The weather is not great in winter, tooooooo muchhhhhh rain. but there is a great social life. But in christmas there are not too many people around though. Which is excellent. Cuase usually cambridge is packed with tourists. very very very busy.

Communications Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England).

Interview

Applied online on their website, shortly after the post closed heard back via email inviting me to an interview. They said there will be a small test as part of the interview.

This was one of the several interviews I have had for this organisation over the past few years.

I arrived at the venue, only to find out the interview was at another venue where the panel took me, and it took quite a while for them to find the room.

During the interview, the panel focused a lot on why I would NOT be a suitable candidate, and in their opinion I was overqualified, and they seemed to think I would have hard time doing a job that is lower level than me. I explained to them I would not have applied if I was not interested in this position... it seemed as if they had already decided who they were going to pick and they were very biased. This discussion went on throughout the interview and every question followed up with a comment on how each task in the job description would be too easy for me and I would be bored in a week into the job...

I had an opportunity to show examples of my previous work (portfolio), which seemed to confirm their view on how overqualified I was for the role.

After this followed the test which I had one hour to complete. During the test several property staff and repairmen came into the room to repair something which distracted me. The test itself was fairly easy.

The feedback I got was that they thought I was overqualified, over experienced and they took someone with lower set of skills.

Overall I feel it was the strangest interview I have had and at least they should honour the fact that the candidate has spent time applying for a role they are interested in, made the effort to take time off work, prepared for an interview, only to be told off during the interview that they don't have any hope getting this role.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us? Where do you see yourself career wise in 5/10 years?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your current relevant experience and the challenges you face.   Answer Question
    • What kind of management style do you like?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a frustrated customer/colleague?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your time management skills?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, England) in December 2018.

Interview

I submitted online application, consisting of cover letter and resume. I heard back fairly quickly and was scheduled for an interview with my boss-to-be and another lecturer from the department. The interview was pleasant and lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

• What made me a suitable candidate for the role, why I wanted the role   1 Answer