University of Cambridge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Cambridge

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

First had to find a potential PhD supervisor.

Next had to find funding for the PhD.

Had to convince senior academics that I had a decent PhD plan and that I would be up to the task. This involved answering questions in front of a panel and explaining my research proposal.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

I had to fill in some forms online together with CV and letters of recommendation. The application was for a BBSRC studentship. There are usually a couple allocated to each department and those then get distributed to students rather than the supervisors. I was invited for an interview day where we were welcomed by friendly PhD students who were very supportive. There were about 16 people for 8 studentships and most of the students were quite nervous. Everyone had two interviews, one general one and an academic one. I had a really challenging interview at Leeds before and compared to that one, the one in Cambridge was a breeze. All the panelists were so friendly and what stood out for me was that they were rather trying to help you show your best rather than picking on weaknesses. So they would , for example, ask what I have done during a particular research experience and I just explained very roughly and showed my enthusiasm for science which I think goes a long way in the Cambridge interviews. The general/ personal interview was really there to get to know the student as a person and one of the panelists even told me that 'this and that' was very impressive. So overall, it was a very nice interview experience. i got the studentship in the end :) Also, it's interesting that far less students seem to apply to Cambridge than some other institutions. And each year after the interviews the panelists say how impressed they were with the high level of the applications.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Easy going, friendly interview. The key is to show you have looked into the projects and are able to answer why you like that project in particular. Ask questions, be enthusiastic! They want capable people who are really motivated. People generally dressed smart but others chose to go very casual. I would say don't go over the top but make some effort, it's a research centre after all.

Interview Questions

• About dark matter, orbits. Why I wanted to work on the project.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Standard salary

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in February 2012.

Interview

The maths interviews have an early offers test followed by several interviews with potential PhD supervisors. The process is fairly pleasant. They also give out offers based on the final Part III Maths results. Without an advanced masters in mathematics they will probably ask you to apply for Part III maths.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England).

Interview

Last for about an hour. Got a tour afterwards from a PhD student there. Questions were all about past research and the current proposal - very intense, intellectually challenging but the interviewers are very friendly.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Contacted on the due date. Had to prepare a power point presentation for the interview based on my research interest (5 min). Questions testing your understanding of different approaches to science (f.e. combining molecular aspects with physical ones).

Interview Questions

• Possible disease development mechanism (not yet established)   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Two interviews, one with two professors from the department, the other with the industrial sponsor who was co-funding the PhD. Second interview was very informal, first interview was formal but quite relaxed, I did not feel too stressed. I was offered the position two days later and I accepted. In general the whole experience was very pleasant, and it was very nice of them to provide me with accommodation during the interview process and expenses for my journey.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a scientific paper that you recently read, that is not in your field of expertise?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in September 2013.

Interview

My current supervisor advertised a PhD position on his website. Application required to send a CV, full list of University exam grades and a cover letter. After a month I was contacted by him to arrange a Skype interview. The interview lasted about 40 minutes, with questions on my studies, my master project and general interests. Then the supervisor talk a while about the PhD project and asked a couple of questions afterwards to check I understood the broad subject. After 2 weeks I was told I got the position, which started 3 months later.

Interview Questions

• Why have you decided to study physics? What are the subjects you know better? Describe your master research project, the tools you used into it, and summarise the conclusions. Some very basic questions on math. I was shown a couple of movies (of flows and flames in pipes) and was asked to mention what were the most relevant physical processes underlying these phenomena.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in January 2012.

Interview

Get the application and then get the interview. Supervisor will ask your past project and course. Ask some further question. In my opinion, grade is very important in terms of application. If you experience matches further research, that will be better.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in January 2016.

Interview

15 minute Skype interview, where I had to explain my current masters project in 5 minutes using a presentation, with 10 minutes for questions on the technical aspects of the project

Interview Questions

• How would you calculate how many detector molecules are under the laser beam?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.