University of Cambridge Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Cambridge Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Cambridge

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in January 2016.

Interview

15 minute Skype interview, where I had to explain my current masters project in 5 minutes using a presentation, with 10 minutes for questions on the technical aspects of the project

Interview Questions

• How would you calculate how many detector molecules are under the laser beam?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

My supervisor mistook the time, so I got the interview delayed for 1 hour. It was just a skype interview. Everything went well, it was not in a pretty formal manner

Interview Questions

• What do you do for your research?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (London, England).

Interview

goood, a bit stressful, but people are nice.
    Cambridge is very competitive place. Especially for undergrads. Grads have relatively flexible time arrangment. GOod Friends. The weather is not great in winter, tooooooo muchhhhhh rain. but there is a great social life. But in christmas there are not too many people around though. Which is excellent. Cuase usually cambridge is packed with tourists. very very very busy.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, South West England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, South West England, England) in July 2015.

Interview

Sent a CV and detailed research proposal to a potential supervisor. Accepted for an interview about a month later which lasted about one hour. Then shown the lab facilities and talked to members of the group.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

It was very in detailed about the project. It depends on the supervisor and also how you are getting the money for the PhD. The supervisor started with simple questions about the background and did go to more difficult questions, and more in detailed.I advice reading the relevant papers he has published.

Interview Questions

• I was asked some questions about the specific modelling platform   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in December 2017.

Interview

I was invited to Skype interview with a panel of three academics from the department of Chemistry, which lasted approximately 20 minutes. I had been asked prior to the interview to send a short powerpoint through outlining my research proposal, which I then presented to the panel, and answered their subsequent questions about this and the field more generally.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe how secondary organic aerosols are formed from their gaseous precursors?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England).

Interview

1. I sent them email (with my CV) directly after googling UROP Cambridge and reading their website. 2. They called me to an interview at where they work. They asked things about my CV, as well as some basic questions (high school level). 3. They introduced their projects available to me and discussed my interest and initial thoughts (certainly idiot thoughts as I knew nothing at that stage) on it.

Interview Questions

• Describe one of my past projects to them.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Date of attendance

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in December 2018.

Interview

I submitted online application, consisting of cover letter and resume. I heard back fairly quickly and was scheduled for an interview with my boss-to-be and another lecturer from the department. The interview was pleasant and lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

• What made me a suitable candidate for the role, why I wanted the role   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in September 2008.

Interview

Phone interview (as I was interviewing from another country)

The university had agrreed to arrange my visa, but in the end this was not done on time and I had to arrange it myself otherwise I would not have been able to take up the job offer on time. Be aware that the Unversity of Cambridge is very very slow when it comes to administration as there is a lot of red tape to get through.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply for this position   Answer Question
    • Although you have the technical experience for this position, you do not have any experience applying it in this field. How will you overcome this?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in June 2011.

Interview

Interview was with the PI and his colleague, and lasted around 15-20 mins. Lots of standard interview questions including "where do you see yourself in five years time" and questions about perceived problems with academia, why I applied for job etc. Only one technical question on cell culture technique used in master's project. Would advise other candidates to re-familiarise themselves with own research projects and be able to explain techniques used well.