University of Cambridge Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Cambridge Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Cambridge

2.9

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

It took them months to respond, then expect you to be prepared the next day. Interview done via telephone. Simple questions. It is your duty to keep asking about the interview result, otherwise you do not get an offer quickly.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for University of Cambridge

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England).

Interview

I applied online, using the University's own online system. I was required to ask three different people to send my prospective group reference letters on my behalf. This was done by email. Got an email confirming that my application was received. After a few weeks, I was notified, also by email, that they would like to invite me for a personal interview in Cambridge (they covered the costs with travel and accommodation for one night). After one week, I received the job offer.

The interview took just over an hour, and it was not easy in general (the interviewers were absolutely polite, but the questions were tough). I consider it to have been a fair interview.

Interview Questions

• They sent me papers I needed to read in preparation for the interview, and asked me many questions about them. This was to assess my competence and experience in the field. Then, they asked many technical questions related to the methodologies and tools that would be used in the work to be carried out. Some questions of general nature were also asked, such as "Why do you want to leave your current place and came work here?".   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in September 2013.

Interview

I did a 30 minutes presentation on my previous works at the whole group, then short 1 to 1 interviews with 3 different people and lab tour. Talked about my experience and what I wanted to do at the moment and in the future.
    In general it was an informal and pleasant interview.
    They offered me the job the same day.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in February 2013.

Interview

I received the email from my current superviser (employer) that I am short-listed for the second round hiring of the post. He asked me if I am still available for the post since I am on the top of the list. I replied saying I am interested. Then they replied saying they had to wait until they got the reply from the person they originally give the offer to. Two weeks later, I heard from him saying that the person turn down the offer so they would give it to me.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge.

Interview

Presentation of recent research project followed by questions. The most common questions include: What would you do next/Why did you use this...You typically apply for a very specialised post so do not waste too much of your time presenting work that the interviewers do not care about. Usually one or two interviewers are present.You typically get a reply within 2-3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What would you do next?
      What method would you use to dissect this?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Cambridge in April 2016.

Interview

Applied for the job online and was invited to interview 5 days later. The interview took place 5 days after the invitation. The experience overall was good, the interviewers were friendly. I had to do a presentation of my work which they asked questions about and then they asked me what I knew about the field the job was in and what I had read about the research from that lab. Some questions about my own work were quite challenging.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have had to overcome a problem, what did you do?   Answer Question
    • Is the length of time this post is available for (4 years) too long?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in August 2013.

Interview

Easy and informal start of the interview helps "break the ice". Followed by a lab tour which was very professional and essential for a candidate. Then a detailed conversation about the post-holder duties and candidate experience. The interviewer came prepared - being familiar with the candidate's background, research interests and papers.

Interview Questions

• Some technical questions were not easy to answer. However with relevant experience should be OK.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in January 2009.

Interview

1h presentation of my work, then 1h discussion about it, then got introduced to the rest of the team.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No possibility to negociate

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at University of Cambridge (Cambridge, East of England, England) in April 2018.

Interview

Fair process, was asked about previous relevant experience, no trick personality questions. I was asked relevant questions about how i would solve problems encountered normally during the job and what tools i would use and whether i was familiar with the latest advancements in the field.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years in your academic career and what are two essential things that will take you there   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.