University of Edinburgh Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Edinburgh Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Edinburgh

2.6

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Jersey City, NJ (US)).

Interview

Saw the job advertisement online, applied on their site. Shortlisted for Skype interview after a month. Was asked to prepare a 15 minute presentation. The Interview panel had 4 people, who had questions ready based on the presentation I had to send in earlier.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions related to the position, how my skills aligned with the work proposed etc. What skills would be most beneficial, major challenges that could be faced.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh.

Interview

Interview with a panel of three and a pratical test to prove your writing, computer litteracy and skill to solve complains and problems. More than 2 hours, better go with your pad and prepare answers, questions and your Presentation. Look at their values.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in April 2017.

Interview

I was asked questions that was on the job advertisements and asked skills that related to the job that I am going to do. It was very friendly the interviewer became my supervisor when I got the job and he is super cool

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in [certain topic worked by the team]?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for Employ.ed on Campus internship in school of Economics. Process consisted application online, submitting cv and interview. Interview was friendly though skill-based. They asked me about courses I took to see which were relevant to that job. They also looked at academic transcript.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in January 2015.

Interview

2 stage interveiw, phone and then face to face. phone interview was very straight forward, getting to know the candidate. one to one interview was detailed in terms of experience and skills required for the job.

Interview Questions

• career aspirations, the motivation for the job, skills for the job, where you see yourself in five years.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in April 2015.

Interview

One Skype interview after a cover letter and CV style application. I was offered the position a day following the interview so I found the experience good and fast. The questions weren't too probing on the whole but I found that they were indicative of what the role requires.

Interview Questions

• Questions were quite generic, but asked about when I had to handle a tricky situation with others.   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in May 2019.

Interview

This was an interview for an administrative role at the School of Geosciences. The HR reps were very kind with their quick responses to my queries. I had to prepare a 5-minute presentation that took about two days' worth of research.

The panel was friendly.

In the feedback I received which explained the reasons for which I didn't qualify for the role, I got the distinct impression that the role went to someone internal. I was told that although (for someone with no experience working in Higher Education Administration) I had a good understanding of the challenges faced by the school, there were other candidates with the specific experience they were looking for. Fair enough, you must always choose the best person for the job.

However, what baffled me was that it was mentioned in my feedback that the panel was confused as to why someone with my "advanced management skills and current salary" had applied to a role that didn't match either. This would have been a good question for the panel to have asked me during the interview wherein I would have had the opportunity to defend my choice. Considering the compulsory field on current (not expected) salary on the university's job board, and the fact that this was not a question the panel asked me directly, I feel like the information about my current salary that I was forced to disclose was unfairly used against me.

I would hope that in the future, candidates are given the chance to defend their reasons for applyng to a role, especially if the role is a step down for them.

Interview Questions

• What are the three challenging areas you would identify when it comes to offering support to the students and researchers of the school of Geosciences?   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewing process was very quick, within a week I was invited to the interview and got feedback 4 days later. There was a panel of three people during the interview for each of the main job responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Mainly questions about how you deal with certain situations, for example if you were taking minutes in a meeting and someone contacted you afterwards to say there was a mistake in your notes what would you do?   Answer Question
    • They also asked how you would start organising a large annual conference for the researchers   Answer Question
    • I was also asked the 'usual' sort of questions, why do you want this job, what qualifies you to do this job etc.   Answer Question
    • Because this was a maternity cover position they did not ask about any future plans etc. But I would expect them to ask these kind of questions if applying for a permanent position.   Answer Question

Business Development Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in November 2016.

Interview

Delivered a presentation and answered questions about my experience and skills. The purpose of the presentation was to present how to pitch to businesses and researchers and raise income for a circular innovation hub.

Interview Questions

• Experience and how this link to the requirements of the role   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in February 2018.

Interview

Initial 30 minutes telephone interview with recruiter and that was pretty straightforward. This was followed by a 45 minutes interview (which to be honest was too short and the interview felt very rushed) which included a 15 minutes presentation on marketing strategy.

Please note it has been 6 weeks and they still have not bothered to let me know what the update of my interview is although I can assume I did not get the job. This is after chasing them three times!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were thrown into the deep end and how did you manage.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.