University of Edinburgh Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Edinburgh Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Edinburgh

2.7

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Jersey City, NJ (US)).

Interview

Saw the job advertisement online, applied on their site. Shortlisted for Skype interview after a month. Was asked to prepare a 15 minute presentation. The Interview panel had 4 people, who had questions ready based on the presentation I had to send in earlier.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions related to the position, how my skills aligned with the work proposed etc. What skills would be most beneficial, major challenges that could be faced.   Answer Question

Vet Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh.

Interview

Tour of the hospital and some interview questions based upon previous veterinary experience and skills based upon competency. Also some questions about future career plans and goals. . . . . . . .

Interview Questions

Interview

The interview took for one hour and was mostly about technical questions in area the job is posted for.The interview panel consisted group of four people and they shooted questions mostly in the technical area and the interview was average

Course Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in January 2020.

Interview

I had a 30 minute test followed by a 1 hour panel interview. It was a postive interview, 3 people who all took turns asking questions. I never heard back though, not even to tell me I was unsuccessful. It's been 4 weeks, and 3 emails to them later no reply.

Demonstrator Interview

Interview

There was no interview required for this position as your'e eligible to demonstrate when you're a PhD student. However, there was a mandatory induction course that takes one day and you will have to attend the course before you can demonstrate. The course is offered twice a year. There was no exam, just general information on what is expected of you.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview, only a demonstrator course.   1 Answer

Employed Interview

Interview

Relatively straight forward, with the typical interview questions you'd get asked in any other interview. The interview was relatively chill, took over half an hour. There were two interviewees present.

Interview Questions

• Why are you suited for this role; tell me about yourself; describe a time you took the initiative to lead/solve a problem..   Answer Question

UCreate Studio Student Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in October 2019.

Interview

Firstly, I waited in reception and then met with the Manager, where I gave him my appropriate documentation. We moved into a private room where I sat in front of a panel of two consisting of the Manager and Coordinator. I then gave a timed presentation on a work related topic. After that, we engaged in a questions and answers session. Finally, I left the room.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you would struggle at, in this role?   1 Answer

Systems Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in September 2019.

Interview

Was asked to prepare a response to a short scenario ahead of the interview. The interview was fairly standard in front of a 3-person panel. Throughout the interview, one of the the interviewers kept commenting on how this was very different from my previous roles, how I'd only done something vaguely similar previously, and basically made it very clear she didn't think I was suitable for the role. The interview was OK with two of the panelists but the third clearly didn't think I should be there. I never heard back at all following the interview, even with a no, despite following up to try and find out the outcome and requesting feedback on several occasions.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in June 2019.

Interview

There was a pre-interview question to prepare and present at the interview. The interview was around one hour with a panel of four people. They first introduced the research project and each interviewer's background. Each interviwer asked questions that are relevant to their background and the research project.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in May 2019.

Interview

This was an interview for an administrative role at the School of Geosciences. The HR reps were very kind with their quick responses to my queries. I had to prepare a 5-minute presentation that took about two days' worth of research.

The panel was friendly.

In the feedback I received which explained the reasons for which I didn't qualify for the role, I got the distinct impression that the role went to someone internal. I was told that although (for someone with no experience working in Higher Education Administration) I had a good understanding of the challenges faced by the school, there were other candidates with the specific experience they were looking for. Fair enough, you must always choose the best person for the job.

However, what baffled me was that it was mentioned in my feedback that the panel was confused as to why someone with my "advanced management skills and current salary" had applied to a role that didn't match either. This would have been a good question for the panel to have asked me during the interview wherein I would have had the opportunity to defend my choice. Considering the compulsory field on current (not expected) salary on the university's job board, and the fact that this was not a question the panel asked me directly, I feel like the information about my current salary that I was forced to disclose was unfairly used against me.

I would hope that in the future, candidates are given the chance to defend their reasons for applyng to a role, especially if the role is a step down for them.

Interview Questions

• What are the three challenging areas you would identify when it comes to offering support to the students and researchers of the school of Geosciences?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.