University of Edinburgh Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 12 Oct 2017

2.6

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland).

Interview

Invited for interview a week after online application. Interviewed by a panel of scientists.
    Asked to present a 10 minute presentation about previous research. 30 minute interview followed by 10 minute lab tour. Wasn't introduced to the rest of the group.

Project Support Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in October 2017.

Interview

A panel of 3 welcoming women, all took turns to ask questions and then I was taken to another room to complete a short test on Microsoft Word. Overall pleasant experience.

Administration Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in April 2017.

Interview

The whole process was quite fast. I applied online via their website. I was invited for an interview with only 7 days notice. Definitely have a thorough plan of how to get to the office where your interview is!! Make sure to allow yourself at least 40 minutes to get there if you aren't familiar with the university campus/Edinburgh (the office I had to find was in an extremely obscure place). I had 3 people on the interview panel, it felt rather informal and chatty. I felt very welcomed. The interview was only 20 minutes of straightforward Qs then a 10 minute task. The task was very easy - I had to find the name of the Head of Edinburgh Global using the university website, then find the contact details of a Student Services employee. The second part to the task was to write a reply to an email enquiry from a prospective student from America. I wasn't offered the position but found the process not that painful. A long trip for me to travel just for a 20 minute chat.

Interview Questions

• What have you done recently to develop your skills for a position such as this one?   1 Answer
    • Can you describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    • What sort of problems do you think you would encounter in this position?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in April 2017.

Interview

I was asked questions that was on the job advertisements and asked skills that related to the job that I am going to do. It was very friendly the interviewer became my supervisor when I got the job and he is super cool

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in [certain topic worked by the team]?   1 Answer

Global Communications(Employ Ed) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a standard competency based interview at the Alumni Department. They have asked about my motivation for applying, what my expectations are. Just be calm, friendly and smile. Read through the job description carefully and make sure you tick all the boxes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time you had to showcase the leadership skills.   Answer Question

Enterprise Data Services Team Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in February 2017.

Interview

I was rather bemused by the department's interview process - I was invited to interview, and given 4 working days notice of the date, time and presentation topic to present. I was unable to attend the date and time given due to a work obligation with my current employer and asked that another date be provided - I was uninvited from the interview panel at that point. However, in what I can only describe as a pretty unorganised turn of events, I was called the night before, at 5pm and asked to come in to interview infront of a panel of 4 staff members the next day - bearing in mind, they had formally uninvited me from interviewing via email.

During the interview, I found members of the panel to be ageist in the extreme, very judgemental and quite uninformed as to the world outside of Third Sector. They quite clearly had no interest in hiring me from the beginning, and I really did feel like I had been asked to interview to tick a box in their interviewing criteria.

Any questions I asked of the panel regarding their experience at the University were dismissed. I would not interview with them in future.

Interview Questions

• Q: Did you take your current role by choice?   1 Answer

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh.

Interview

Very relaxed and it helps to know the supervisor beforehand. Doing a Masters here is the easiest way to get selected and kept in the circle. If you have previous research experience and best of all some sort of papers/posters then you have a much easier time getting accepted.

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh in January 2017.

Interview

The interviewers were very friendly. The committee constisted of two profs. They asked me in general why study there and what would I want to study for my phd. Actually I still haven 't got an answer from them. I am still waiting for an outcome hopefully positive given the interview .

Interview Questions

• A favorite theorem from the theory of PDEs   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh.

Interview

I applied online via the advertisement posted. I was then contacted by email to arrange an interview. The interview was informal. It was a brief, one to one interview with the survey head asking straight forward interview questions that related to the job description.

Interview Questions

• Give me examples of a time you have shown yourself to be responsible.   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, Scotland) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewing process was very quick, within a week I was invited to the interview and got feedback 4 days later. There was a panel of three people during the interview for each of the main job responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Mainly questions about how you deal with certain situations, for example if you were taking minutes in a meeting and someone contacted you afterwards to say there was a mistake in your notes what would you do?   Answer Question
    • They also asked how you would start organising a large annual conference for the researchers   Answer Question
    • I was also asked the 'usual' sort of questions, why do you want this job, what qualifies you to do this job etc.   Answer Question
    • Because this was a maternity cover position they did not ask about any future plans etc. But I would expect them to ask these kind of questions if applying for a permanent position.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.