University of Essex Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Essex Interview Questions

Updated 17 Sep 2018

Catering Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Essex (Colchester, England) in November 2011.

Interview

It felt fair. You apply and get notified if you're shortlisted. You go to an interview which consists of a panel of interviewers for fairness. The criteria is based on scores which are agreed between the interviewers after the interview.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Loughton, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at University of Essex (Loughton, East of England, England) in December 2015.

Interview

45 min face to face interview with the head, deputy head and faculty representative. I felt the interview went very smoothly. I was happy with my performance and answers to given questions and body language of the panel was positive. It took about 4 working days to hear that the job went to someone else. feedback provided was wooly, nothing concrete - not something I could learn and improve from.

Interview Questions

• Simple and straightforward even predictable questions such as my strength and weakness and why do I want this job.   Answer Question

Senior Research Officer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Essex.

Interview

Very short interview, I was asked only a few questions of the general type (why us/ why this job / what are your strengths / previous experience related to this job). Overall very superficial. I regretted having travelled from abroad to attend in person, Skype would have done. Try to ask for a Skype interview if you make the shortlist, may be the best choice.

Lecturer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Essex in July 2013.

Interview

15 minute teaching to a group of prospective colleagues within the department + panel interview with 6 or 7 members of different functions within the university/department.
    Questions related to own research, teaching experience, career plans, fit with the organization, challenges in the industry, potential avenues for inter-disciplinary research within the university, potential for research funding, willingness to teach related themes of interest.

Interview Questions

• Theory focus during the interview, which I had expected to be covered during the presentation to the group, but not during the formal interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked for a modest amount of extra pay, and got it.

Research Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colchester, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Essex (Colchester, England) in June 2010.

Interview

Brief 30-45 minutes interview on technical skills and motivation. 2 out of the 3 panel members looked like they have already made their decision from the very beginning of the interview and weren't interested in anything I was saying :-( . Instead the third one was more "alive" and interested in administering a proper interview (challenging questions, some interests for my previous jobs, etc.)

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in C++ and Java.   1 Answer

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colchester, England

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Essex (Colchester, England) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied by filling a form. First I got an email that I was shortlisted then, I was informed about my interview date shortly after. I had enough time to get prepared for the interview.

Interview Questions

• How to deal with students of different learning levels?   Answer Question

PhD Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Essex (Colchester, England) in April 2012.

Interview

The panel was very cold and intimidating, consisted of 6 people (the professors with most power in the department). The interview was supposed to last 15 min, mine was 25 as I was last

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Essex.

Interview

No interview. Directly approached professor with similar research interests. And then he explained the work to be done. We agreed on the methodology to be followed and then started the job.

Human Resources Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colchester, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Essex (Colchester, England) in March 2017.

Interview

I had an interview with two managers. They were asking set questions and it was not too difficult . There was also written test. There were about 4 HR related questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your strength / weaknesses?

How do you cope with pressure? How do you organise your tasks?   Answer Question

D A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Essex in May 2013.

Interview

False. They already have favourites lined up before you even get to interview. They just go through the motions, pretending to be fair. They want to be seen as champions of diversity but in fact what they do is choose one diversity trait and publish that on all their web pages - theirs is Transgender. This means they can ignore all the other stuff that is really being ignored.

Interview Questions

• Why would you want to work here   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.