University of Glasgow Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Glasgow Interview Questions

Updated 24 Oct 2017

2.6

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Glasgow (Portland, OR (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

45 minute interview over skype

Interview Questions

• Nothing, it was really fairly typical and terms of my background, why glasgow and how I would apply my research interest to Glasgow   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation - these posts are very structured in terms of funding and benefits.

HOSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at University of Glasgow (Glasgow, Scotland) in August 2017.

Interview

I was slightly unusual as i started the job via a recruiter on a temporary basis and then entered the permanent process from there. The permanent role was interview to large panel, with Presentation

Interview Questions

• How do you think you could make a difference to admin in the university?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at University of Glasgow (Glasgow, Scotland) in April 2017.

Interview

A very casual discussion one on one with the personal investigator. Asked about previous work, then a couple of questions related to the project. Was shown the procedure of the tasks in this role, and asked how comfortable I would be following these instructions.

Research Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Glasgow in January 2017.

Interview

The review relates to my recent experience with the College of Social Sciences in the area of research support. Research support has undergone quite a change at the institution and this was an investment position. The job description was very varied therefore I had an informal chat with a member of the team first which went well. It took 2.5 weeks for them to get in touch and offer an interview, by that point I had assumed I hadn't been shortlisted. The interview consisted of a short five min presentation and competency based questions. It was scheduled to be only 45mins and they didn't state who would be on panel. They were running approx 20mins late which wasn't very professional. Interview in itself was fine. The next candidate was waiting outside the interview room which is quite bad practice and, we both knew each other. A phone call was set up one week after my interview where they offered me the position and we negotiated on salary. In this conversation I mentioned I would need some flexibility on a particular day of the week and it all feel apart. Despite asking in the informal chat and knowing the flexible working policy, I was told in this conversation (initially) that there was no flexible working, that it was a full time fte position and how could it be done flexibility. I explained that a) my child is autistic therefore the day couldn't be changed but all I needed was 1.5 hours early finish on that day that would be made up on the other days b) that I had had That arrangement at my present hei and would be happy to give further references. Despite being the line manager / hiring manager, she went away to speak to her colleagues promising to get back mon / tues following week. No phonecall mon / tues, I had to chase them on the Thursday not getting a call till the Friday whereupon it turned out there WAS flexible working but another colleague in her team had it but could re arrange it. This was on the condition I stay for any business need should it arise. I was then taken to task for not raising this earlier in the process of recruitment. I didn't for fear of discrimination and my informal conversation led me to believe it was a conversation that could be had. My inflexibility was berated despite that being connected to my sons disability and need for routine to cope with that. Disability is also a protected characteristic. On asking about the culture more generally, what happened in emergencies, what business critical events happen mid / late Thursday afternoon that desired by presence, just to better understand the concerns, none were very convincing. 'Business need' was cited repeatedly but without definition, at most, the line manager stated that grant applications regularly went to the wire - to me that's more poor organisation than defined business need. And I had plenty of evidence of coping with grant deadlines in previous role.

In short, I found them unprofessional with regards to time taken on communications, they saw this very much as being one way traffic in the sense that I didn't at all feel like the preferred candidate and I found the explanations over work life balance, particularly in the disability context I was asking, to be troubling. I didn't feel this would've been could for line manager / employee relationship so I walked away. Hearing from others at the institution, flexibility seems unproblematic to arrange therefore it seems to depend on the line manager. I walked away with a heavy heart in one sense as it was a chance to do something different in a higher profile institution but my child and his ability needs come first. I could not recommend working in this area of the institution.

Interview Questions

• Largely competency based questions based on research support issues   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Glasgow (Glasgow, Scotland) in March 2016.

Interview

I received an email with a list of times to select. The interview consisted of a panel asking questions relating to the essential criteria and asking of past experiences. The interview lasted 30 minutes. I suspected it was a first interview and that there would be another one.

Interview Questions

• Asked about past experience   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Glasgow.

Interview

The process was rigorous but ended up being a positive conversation. There were a group of interviewers. Each one asked specific question related to the resume and background. At beginning they made the situation friendly for me to settle in. They asked questions regarding some case studies provided.

Interview Questions

• What benefit will I bring ? What experiences do I have ?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at University of Glasgow (Glasgow, Scotland) in May 2015.

Interview

First I sent my CV directly to the professor, she then emailed me for an interview. A few weeks later, she accepted me I only when I got this note I was able to apply on the University website

Interview Questions

• Why I chose to study that topic and I was asked to talk about my background   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Glasgow.

Interview

Detailed online application. The job ad had a list of person characteristics and I was asked to address each one of them separately in the application. The same questions were asked during the interview. the process was fast but they do not offer a phone or skype interview if you cannot attend.

Interview Questions

• Very basic competencies based interview. Was asked to deliver a presentation on 'In Uni sometimes learning to learn is more important than learning a subject'. The presentation was to be addressed to a 1st year student audience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation. Fixed contract and salary

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Glasgow.

Interview

Interviewing for Research Associate positions will be conducted largely by the principal investigator / professor you are likely to be working directly for. As such all interviews are likely to be rather different depending on the style and interests of that professor.

I had 1 informal interview (1 on 1) and 1 formal interview (small panel) which included a small coding test (relevant for my field) before being offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Expect to be asked about previous projects and previous experiences etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salaries are fixed by HR as the University adheres to union salary scales. Very little negotiation is possible.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Glasgow (Glasgow, Scotland) in April 2013.

Interview

I got an invitation from the HR to visit Glasgow for an interview. They offered me 3-5 slots to select a time window for my presentation and later for the interview. They booked hotel for 1-2 nights and also reimbursed my air tickets after the interviews

Interview Questions

• 1. Why Glasgow?
      2. Questions regarding my previous positions?
      3. Questions regarding my research   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.