University of Southampton Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 2 Aug 2018

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England) in June 2011.

Interview

Thank-you for your interest in respect of our advertised graduate position. Unfortunately for the advertised role we do not feel your skill-set sufficiently ties up with what we are looking for in these roles, and therefore we have decided to decline your application.

I wish you all the best for the future in your studies.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Southampton in August 2015.

Interview

A brief two on one interview with fairly basic questions to assess your competency for the position and what you know about the university itself, and the particular department for which you would be working. Nothing too tricky, and the interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the University of Southampton?   Answer Question

Marketing Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England) in January 2013.

Interview

Presentation and in depth interview with a panel of 5 people. Visiting the office to get to know people.Discussion of key job tasks and responsibilities. The presentation took a few hours to prepare and lots of time to research the organisation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate.

Student Caller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England) in February 2015.

Interview

Sending of CV, screened and invited to interview. Typical assessment morning - with team working activities and getting to know the rest of the calling team. A very positive experience

Interview Questions

• Imagine you were on an island - what 3 items would you bring with you?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Southampton.

Interview

I had a brief screening phone call with the head of research group before a formal interview. The interview was with two senior members of the research group. During it, I gave a short talk about my work to date before the usual set of questions. Afterwards I was invited to have a brief conversation with the head of group.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to describe the architecture of a computer system I had been involved with.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a short interview as they knew me and my work prior to the interview. They just asked me about my views on the project on offer and describe my role in the project.

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Southampton in November 2007.

Interview

Interview mostly centered around my research and my plans for future research. Also on my motivation in this field and how open I was to relocate.

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Southampton (Southampton, England) in May 2011.

Interview

2 stage hiring process: first stage a written proposal for the research, second stage a 20 mins interview with a panel of people.

The interview include a ppt from my side before moving to the questions from the interviewers. Questions spanned from technical to more general ones about managing the research project proposed.

Interview Questions

• What would the University/research unit lose if they decided not to hire you, in term of competitiveness on the research agenda?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was quite clear from the beginning so no much space for negotiation.

Research Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at University of Southampton.

Interview

Two stages, a test followed by a panel interview.
    Overall, positive experience during interview, but terrible when it came to the communication of the results of the recruitment process. They would notify us by the end of the week and in the end they emailed me in the end of next week, unable to provide any feedback.

Interview Questions

• Beyond the general, typical competence questions, they asked specifically about several job-related issues (eg research ethics etc).   Answer Question

PhD Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of Southampton.

Interview

Preliminary interview on phone - gave all details of my concerns and difficulties with moving, etc - Not a problem. Come down for a full interview cover same ground we had on phone only now it seems that they are a problem, its also clear that the funding isn't in place and the more i scratch the surface the more uncomfortable i get in regard to who i'd be working with as i didn't feel they'd be able to offer me the direction / mentoring i'd expect.

Then had the indignity to send me an email to say i wasn't the calibre of student they require for a phd - well i'm sorry but I have a MSc where i graduated with a national award with over 6 years of relevant work experience If i'm not the calibre of student they want they i'm well rid...

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.