University of Sussex Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at University of Sussex

2.7

Student Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England) in September 2017.

Interview

No formal interview in my case, just got the job by chance one day when my old lecturer saw me and asked if i wanted to work the open day the following weekend because the person who usually does it can't anymore.

Interview Questions

• No formal interview in my case, but typically they would want to know that you were comfortable talking to prospective students and their parents & for you to be engaged with your studies.   1 Answer

Academic Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview lasted for approximately an hour. I was asked about my reasons for applying, the kind of work I expected and my preferred subject area in terms of teaching. I was also asked a few questions that focused on my research and teaching experience to date.

Interview Questions

• What subject(s) would you prefer to teach? Undergraduate or postgraduate?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England) in November 2017.

Interview

The position was for 6 months only and the interview happened in the 1st month of those 6 months. The interview took place at the start of the second week of November. Questions were on my PhD project. Some behavioural questions too. I was told that the position requires immediate joining and shall be informed regarding their decision in two days. However, didn't hear from anyone. Wrote an email the HR, was told that my request has been passed to the recruiting manager of that School (@ 1-1/2 week since the interview). So much for the University of Sussex's transparent hiring policy, at least inform the candidate about some decision. Maybe you should read your own guidelines which are available on the University website. It's a major turn off that neither the interviewer nor the University HR thought to inform the interviewed candidate about what happened to their application.

Interview Questions

• How do you meet tight deadlines?, Why this role?, What do you bring to this role?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England) in March 2018.

Interview

One month after applying online I received the invitation for the interview. They gave me one month to prepare. I received data and I needed to prepare a presentation and a proposal for data analysis. 3 faculty and a HR person interviewed me. They were very nice.

They mostly asked about academic stuff concerning the position: What do you think about interdisciplinary research? How much do you know about statistics?

Interview Questions

• In your opinion, what are the main difficulties when dealing with interdisciplinary research?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England) in March 2013.

Interview

I found the opportunity through my previous teacher. They met in a academic social event. Phone screen interview. Very nice people. Mainly asked me about why I choose this project. Why do I think I can finish the study and get the degree. What's the plan of my future.

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied online for fully funded PHD. Invited for interview with 3 academic staff including supervisors. Was asked in advance to prepare a presentation on current research (during MSc). Was also asked to interpret some figures.

Interview Questions

• Was asked about motivation, education and experience. Also asked to interpret some graphs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England) in October 2014.

Interview

Very informal interview with three examiners who were all very friendly. I was asked to start with the presentation of my thesis and then it went on with some other questions about particle physics

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your master's thesis   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falmer, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Falmer, England) in August 2018.

Interview

Was given a week to prepare of five minute presentation on the topic that the research project would be on. I was also asked questions about my skills and experience, academic interests and my views on the projects.

Interview Questions

• What do you think the biggest challenge of this project is>   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of Sussex (Brighton, England) in December 2013.

Interview

Typical UK style panel interview. One hour in total, 10 minutes for a presentation and ~35 minutes for answering questions, also ~15 minutes to ask questions. The whole interview is friendly and enjoyable, though I didn't get the offer. Questions are mainly about my previous research (~15 minutes) and my possible projects after getting the position (~20 minutes).

Interview Questions

• Some physics questions which is not directly related with my previous research.   Answer Question

CSA Interview

Interview

Group interview where you discuss the benefits of working for student union. Not very difficult. You are told what it entails and then asked why you want to work there and what you would bring

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the SU   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.