University of Warwick Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

University of Warwick Interview Questions

Interviews at University of Warwick

2.8

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Warwick.

Interview

Very simple, over the phone, friendly, polite, good conversation, had a reasonable time talking.

Online application with basic info and a short essay about why I was interested followed by telephone interview.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions, asking what to do in certain situations, fire safety and how one would react in that situation   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, West Midlands, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Warwick (Warwick, West Midlands, England).

Interview

Interview in 2011

Panel Interview - Going through scenarios in the workplace and troubleshooting.

What made me nearly fall off the chair they asked me to describe and find examples of equal opportunities and inclusion - asked by an panel of four white middle class men.

Interview Questions

• Describe stages of Video Conf set up and user take up   1 Answer

Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Warwick (Coventry, England) in February 2020.

Interview

apply online with CV and cover letter. Interviewed with three managers about recent work initiatives, experience regarding your curricular activities and other work experiences. was offered a job straight after the interview

Interview Questions

• what are the important values while serving the customers   1 Answer

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Warwick (Coventry, England) in January 2020.

Interview

I applied online, it took 2 weeks to be invited for the interview. I had a difficult excel spreadsheet to solve and then f2f interview with 4 people for 45 minutes.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

A tour of the department followed by a short 20-minute interview where I was asked about my masters project and was asked some basic chemistry questions. I was then told about the potential projects I would be doing.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to go into this field   1 Answer

Facilities Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at University of Warwick (Coventry, England) in November 2019.

Interview

Questions are simple but require answers in depth. Hit the job specification key words (for example communicating effectively followed by a situation you may have been in. i.e. an upset customer. Show the interviewer how you would approach the situation in a calm manner and help the customer.

Interview Questions

• Scenario: A customer is unhappy/frustration with the display of an article/book in the facility. How would you deal with the situation?   1 Answer

Human Resources Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of Warwick (Coventry, England) in September 2019.

Interview

I applied online, and about a week after the closing date I received an interview invite from the hiring manager for the following week, I was told to bring my right to work document along with and that there would be a short test related to the role.

Upon my arrival I waited at the reception until the receptionist told me that the person who would be taking me up requested that I come up to meet them instead of them coming down to meet me as I'd been told. I met a lovely older lady who took me to the waiting area while I waited for the hiring manager - the wait took almost 10 minutes.

The hiring manager came to get me and showed me to the interview room where another colleague was waiting, they introduced themselves and asked a number of questions some of which I felt they cut and interrupted which threw me off my game and made me miss a step or two of the STAR technique.

At the end I had the opportunity to ask questions and I was asked about my notice period, any holidays I had booked and whether I would like to be considered for some fixed term roles they had available should I be unsuccessful for the role I applied and interviewed for.

The hiring manager noted she would be on annual leave the following day (Friday), and so I may not be hearing back from her until Monday at the latest, assuming they hadn't come to a decision by the end of the day.

After the interview I had to do 3 tests which were allocated 10 minutes each:
    1). Prioritise work on a scale of 1-6 and explain why
    2). Read through a job offer letter and pick out the errors (they stated there were 12 errors, however after going over the letter several times I could only identify 11)
    3). Read through a job advert in comparison to the standard information given and identify the errors.

My passport was also taken to be photocopied/scanned

Monday came and I didn't hear anything from them. Tuesday morning however i received a phone call telling me I'd been unsuccessful which I felt was really unnecessary, I understand the hiring manager wanted to let me know the status and also inform me she'd be giving me feedback.

I did not enjoy receiving that phone call particularly as phone calls are often linked to job offers so I felt blindsided by that. She did end up sending an email where she mentioned I'd been unsuccessful and feedback saying to use the STAR technique (very inspiring -_- ) which in my opinion should have been the only communication method used.

Suffice to say, I was not pleased and will not be applying to the university in the future (petty? possibly)

Interview Questions

• What do you know about us   Answer Question
    • How do you check that your work is accurate - no errors when filling in a letter template   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of Warwick.

Interview

Interview was done face to face with professors and two other members present. They asked about my background and my interests in the project. We spoke about the challenges of the PhD and if i would be ready. Overall a good experience.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of Warwick (Coventry, England) in June 2019.

Interview

The interview included 2 parts: in the morning, presentation on teaching and research plan for 20 minutes, and in the afternoon, a panel interview for 30 minutes. There were 6 people on the panel. Not all panelists showed up for the presentation, though all attended the interview. The name list I was given for the panel was not exactly the same as the panelists I met on the day.

Interview Questions

• There was a brief Q&A after the presentation, though all but one questions was about teaching.

The panel interview was more comprehensive, covering lots of areas:

- Why do you want to work in Warwick?
      - How do you deal with a particular teaching situation?
      - What assessment tasks do you design for your teaching?
      - How do you teach a class with students from different academic backgrounds/levels of subject knowledge?
      - What is the most recent development in XYZ research area?
      - How can you help market the program and attract students?
      - What connections you have that would provide placement opportunities to students?

-   Answer Question

Programmes Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of Warwick (Coventry, England) in April 2019.

Interview

This only reflects 1 team and faculty of the organisation.

I am already in a role that I am happy with, but made some applications as I am considering lateral movement and upskilling.

I have attended close to 100 interviews previous to this.

I received an invite by email from the upper manager, who requested a response to her work email. Reading the full attached invite letter, I confirmed attendance whilst also stating my method of transport and request details for parking (as instructed within the letter).

I received no comms until 2 days before the interview, when I heard from a different member of the team about parking. She had forwarded the string of emails underneath with her reply, showing that the manager had just forwarded my message along to be dealt with on that very day.

The process screamed unprofessionalism and a lack of care towards the interviewee, which made me hold some reservations about the role and work environment before attending.

The interview day was split into an Assessment and then a Panel interview.

The assessment component was split into 3 parts: an excel task, email draft and review of work. Review of work was straight forward but not a task that I expected to be part of my role as an administrator and not academic.
    Excel task was completed on a computer, following the steps provided.
    The email task requested a drafted response to students, but this had to be completed on paper, on the back of the task sheet. Whilst sitting in front of a live computer with a working USB for part of the assessment...
    I was told that I had 30 minutes from 12pm but was called out 5 minutes earlier so my time was not correctly allocated or managed.

From there I went straight into the panel interview.

The invite letter detailed the panel to consist of 3 people ( all names were included), but I sat in front of 4 people. The manager introduced everyone and then pointed to herself, as 'someone you already know via email', not elaborating on her role or position. She herself did not ask any questions or offer answers.

Questions were similar to any organisation that recruit using compentencies. However, some did not seem to link with the job role nor were these expanded on by the panel.

Additionally, some were not well phrased. Usually I am not shy of asking for the question to be rephrashed or explained, but this time when I did so they all just stared at me.
    There was a very clear line between myself and the panel, where although I gave a lot of information out, they did not care to explain any further on the organisation, the job role (i.e 'Yeah, you know its just quite busy and varied. You may be required to do some tasks that are not in the job description'), nor were any member of the panel helpful in trying to ask for more information (You've already talked about working at a university so...).

I have never encountered the arrogance I felt at the interview, where I was expected to know everything about the job role, even what may be specialised to this university, faculty and role. Although there may be some similarity to my current job, I did not expect my experience to mean that I should exactly how the organisation runs.

At the end, after I was able to squeeze out 3 questions of my own (that they made me feel guilty about asking and did not even answer properly), I was led out of the room and motioned to the door, with no proper goodbye, thanks or acknowledgement.

If this was my first interview, I would have cried.
    However, I have experienced a lot of interviews in my past and this is the first that made me feel extremely happy to not work with the members involved.

The lack of courtesy, with not expanding on the specific job role and responsibilities, or with the fact that the panel expected so much knowledge from me yet did not find me important enough to elaborate on the brilliance of the organisation or how Warwick university stands as an employer as well as a place of study. Even if a person did pass this stage, if this negative atmosphere were to continue into the role, I can guarantee that they would not stay for longer than probation period.

All in all, this is a valuable experience for me, as I am aware of the differences in how my own employer and Warwick University treat vacancies and interviews. Within this little window of time, I have learnt a lot about the company heirarchy, ruthless recruitment system and type of working environment.

Giving the Computer Science faculty the benefit of the doubt, maybe they do not deal with so many vacancies to be able to build their interview skills, or maybe they have just dealt with people who feel that this is normal and don't question the practice.

Whatever it is, thank god I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• State a time that I had to prioritise tasks, experienced a difficult situation at the workplace, asked my knowledge of company.
      What is the highest number of cases you have had to look after.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.