Virtu Financial Trading Operations Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Virtu Financial Trading Operations Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Virtu Financial

3.5

Trading Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Virtu Financial in August 2016.

Interview

I believe I applied for Trading Operations Analyst but they sent me a coding challenge (possibly for a software developer position). The coding challenge was held on Codility. 75 minutes for 5 problems. They weren't hard but I was a little bit rusty syntactically. They allowed C/C++ and Java. Ended up finishing only 4 out of 5 problems. Next day got an email saying I didn't meet the minimum score.

Other Interview Reviews for Virtu Financial

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Virtu Financial (Austin, TX (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the website, and was contacted the next day by a recruiter. She scheduled for me to have a Skype interview with a recruiter in Austin, Texas. The Skype interview was fairly standard, a little bit of "tell me about yourself", and then two brainteaser/quantitative questions. I was able to answer both easily, although I kept making arithmetic errors on one of them. He told me a little bit about the company and did mention that a 60 hour work week was standard (7-7), and to expect to stay an hour or so late during my first 12-18 months. It was also explained that being a Trading Operations Analyst is different from a trader, and that Virtu does not hire college grads as traders. They instead want people to understand how the trading systems work as a member of the operations team, and that if it is the right fit, hires can move into trading within a year.

After the Skype interview, I was invited for an on-site in New York because I live on the East Coast. It opened with a paper and pencil IQ test, followed by three brainteaser interviews with folks in Operations/Trading. None of the questions were particularly difficult, although I did struggle with one of them, and it took me a good amount of time to come up with an algorithm to solve it. There was lunch in the middle, followed by a final "culture" interview with one of the senior managers. He didn't ask any technical questions, but did ask me about my background, including my undergrad, hobbies, and family (nothing too personal). He explained that culture was incredibly important at Virtu, and that Virtu is the experiment of the founder, and they want to keep the ship tight. From these interviews I got the sense that everyone at Virtu absolutely loves working there: it is really a happy family and later a manager told me that the company would "fall on a grenade" for me if needed. I was incredibly impressed with how dedicated and well treated everyone in the firm was, from the recruiters to the traders.

I was then flown to Austin for another series of interviews. It was essentially the same thing, and the Austin office is nice! For example, breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all provided by the firm. There is an on-site gym, and there is a lot of office space. It is a little bit outside of the downtown, in a suburban area, so having a car would be a necessity. Here, I reconfirmed that Virtu is a big happy family, and that everyone from the front desk to the operations team is dedicated to finding new ways to add value to the firm. I did struggle on a very easy brainteaser (with the head of the office, no less), but did very well on the remaining interviews. It consisted of maybe five technical interviews and a lunch break.

I was then informed that the last stage of the process was to meet with the CEO of the firm in New York. I headed up to New York to meet with him (no scheduled time, so I had to wait a few minutes). Ahead of our meeting, I talked with a few folks in upper management again about culture. Here, I was asked if I would be ready to accept an offer that day. I answered that I would need some time to make sure I had all of my information, and was told that that was a "culture red flag". He asked what my hesitation would be, and I said that I wanted to have all of my information present before making a decision. He pressed harder, and told me that if I was going to pit offers against each other, I wasn't wanted at the firm. I affirmed truthfully that money wasn't the concern, but that moving to Austin from the East Coast was an obstacle. He recognized that as a legitimate excuse, but warned me that if I made the same comment to the CEO, I would be shown the door. I agreed to be honest with the CEO and tell him that I would be excited to see an offer if shown one (which was true).

The CEO meeting was actually uneventful, though he is a cool guy. I won't say more except that I wasn't asked about taking an offer. I received an offer on the train ride home from the meeting.

During the week after receiving the offer, I frantically tried to get other trading firms to make final decisions, because I had no other offers at the time. I was able to procure an offer from Jane Street later in the week, and it was then that I decided to take Jane Street over Virtu.

Interview Questions

• Generic brainteaser questions, you can probably find them on the internet or even Glassdoor somewhere. Culture questions were also prevalent.   1 Answer

While I was impressed with the culture and dedication at the firm, in the end I decided to take Jane Street because of the location, working hours, and style of trading at Jane Street. Virtu is high frequency trading, and the math that is used is not particularly advanced. Jane Street, on the other hand, is medium frequency, and uses all sorts of mathematics/game theory/psychology/computer science to make trades. The position at Virtu is also in Austin, and while moving back to New York would be possible, I could also wind up in Austin for a long time. Finally, the working hours at Virtu are extremely long, with a minimum of 12 hours per day, and even more at the beginning. I am some one who really needs to sleep 8 hours per night to be functional, so working 12+ hours per day would take a toll on my mind and body.

Trading Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virtu Financial.

Interview

first an online skype interview, then an on-site interview where i met with several current employees for one on one interviews. the skype interview was pretty standard, tell me about yourself, why do you want to work for virtu, some brain teasers. the on-site interview first had a timed multiple choice test with puzzles and patterns to work out. then there were some more brain teasers and finally just general question-and-answer type stuff.

Trading Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Virtu Financial.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter and an interview was set up. A phone call or skype interview beginning with some behavioral/fit questions then some logic questions. Interviewer was extremely curt and rigid; often making it difficult to even get a word in and just going through the interview motions to get it over with.

Interview Questions

• We work 60 hours per week, 5 days a week. That's 12 hours a day. Are YOU ready for that?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Virtu Financial (Austin, TX (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview and Online Programming Test.
    Applied online, contacted by recruiter to setup a skype interview. Standard behavioral/fit questions, followed by brainteasers. The interviewer kept repeatedly looking to the right, it appeared that they were communicating with another person in the room that they did not introduce or make any mention of, which I found to be distracting.

At the end they asked me if I would complete an online programming test, and noted that this was not typical request for this role. I asked the interviewer if I could use VB.NET, they said yes. I received the test a few days later, the test site gives you an the option to take a demo test and/or the official 4 problem - 90 minute test. I used VB.NET in the demo problem. However the official Virtu test DID NOT HAVE A VB.NET OPTION! After partially finishing the test in a language I hadn't used in over a year(submitted problems were correct), I contacted the recruiter letting them know that I had been misinformed of the available testing languages, and that the demo was also misleading. I received a response that I was no longer a candidate due to low score.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Virtu Financial (Austin, TX (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

First I had a Skype interview. A week later I had an on-site interview. For the on-site interview, first I took a test of 60+ multiple choice brain teasers questions. Then I talked to different employees at their office, usually two at a time. The whole process lasted about 4 hours. The interviewers didn't ask me many brain teasers or technical questions, rather they asked me questions about my background and personality.

Interview Questions

• They asked me if I mind long working hours.   1 Answer

Trading Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Virtu Financial (New York, NY (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a recruiter and then applied online. I got a response within two weeks. The first step was an online coding challenge. The challenge included four programming questions. The time allocated was an hour and a half. I found the questions to be a bit challenging. I got a response on the same day after I took the coding challenge.

Trade Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virtu Financial in September 2018.

Interview

I was sent a coding test since I have a coding background on my C.V. The test was 75 minutes long and made up of 5 problems that would take at least 30 minutes to complete. I got 3 done and didn't get an offer. I guess you just need to be very fast since it was more difficult to complete this test than any other test I have done. Not in terms of knowledge needed or complexity but more because of the time constraint. They were very quick to say whether I had passed or failed.

Interview Questions

• Given an int say how many steps it is from being a fibonacci number.   1 Answer

Trade Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Virtu Financial (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in November 2017.

Interview

Was reached out to by a recruiter. Given an online coding test, not too hard questions. Then a HR call, then a technical phone screen, then was asked for onsite interviews. The onsite interviews start with an aptitude test, 65 questions in 35 minutes so pretty time pressured. I didn't manage my time well, scored a few points below the minimum so the process ended there.
    Felt it was strange to bring a candidate in for interviews just to send them home after an aptitude test which could have been administered online.

Trading Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Virtu Financial in February 2017.

Interview

Skype Interviews with members of two different teams.
    They asked basic questions about the skills I had given in my CV. First question was always an idiot test question to check whether I put fake skills in my CV. (Like asking me to explain python arrays.)
    Second guy asked questions that I couldnt answer during the first interview again, just to check whether I had done some research in the meantime.

Interview Questions

• SQL: Can you describe the different types of JOINS and how they work ?   Answer Question
    • Are you prepared to work 12 or more hours?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.