Interview Question

Interview Answers

23 Answers

7.5 degrees

David on

7.5 degrees. The hour hand would have moved past 3 in order for it to be 3:15.

Luke on

Time for me to go

Anonymous on

Depends on the clock. For starters let's assume it's an analogue display. If the hour hand only moves on the hour as opposed to at a set rate around the clock, then it would be 0. If it moves at a set rate, then the angle would be 7.5 degrees. (Full circle is 360 degrees, 12 hours on the face so it moves 30 degrees every hour or 7.5 degrees every quarter hour).

John on

360 degree

Kunhayamu on

3.5 degrees

Adrian Duffy on

Near enough to 0 to not worry about, I am sure there is a website with a more accurate answer if you really want to know. This is interesting as the question is/was "If the time is quarter past 3, what is the angle measurement on the clock?" What are we measuring? If everything was plumb and level then it might 90 degrees. I know the table my digital clock sits on is not level but I have never measured the wonkyness of the table.

Mike on

7.5 degrees.

Matthew on

I really don't care

Anonymous on

Gillian, Please put on this nice pointy hat and sit in the corner.... Quarter past 3 = 180 degrees? Are you sure about that?

Dr Weekes-Money on

90 degrees acutely and 270 degrees obtusely

Anonymous on

No scrub that the answer I gave was for 3 o'clock. 3.15 would be 7.5 degrees or inversely 352.5 degrees.

Anonymous on

It's on the right hand side about a quarter of the way round the clock.

Barbara Kirk on

7.5 degrees

Anonymous on

The minutes hand stood at 90 deg the 15 minutes lapse will move the hour hand to 90 + (15/60 * 30 deg) = 97.5 deg difference = 7.5 deg

Sashiraja on

Somewhere between minus and plus infinity. Modulus 360 degrees, of course.

Thomas on

7.5 degrees. The minute hand will be 90 degrees past the vertical, the hour hand (which moves 30 degrees per hour) has moved 3.25 * 30 degrees since noon so is at 97.5 degrees past vertical. Difference = 7.5 degrees.

John Riley on

1. Discreet-placed arrows clock. 0 degrees 2. Ordinary clock 360/12/(1/4) = 7.5 degrees

Evgeniy on

I'm Sorry. 360/12*(1/4) = 7.5

Evgeniy on

Well each hour mark on the clock is 30 degrees from 12pm. The hour hand moves 30 degrees per 1 hour, 15 degrees per half hour, 7.5 degrees per 15minutes. The minute hand is at 90 degrees from 12pm and the hour hand is at 97.5 degrees from 12pm. The difference is then, as many others have said, 7.5 degrees.

Chris on

180 degrees

180 degrees

Gillian on

Presumably the interviewer is asking for the angle of the hands on the clock taken from the midpoint therefore the correct answer is 180 degrees. If the time was three o'clock then the answer would be 90 degrees. Some of the answers here make me question what is being taught in schools these days, I don't mean to sound patronising but I remember my angles from my Primary School days which were in the 1970s!!

Gillian on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.