Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated 25 Aug 2015

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral with the process taking 2 weeks. HR called to set-up a 20 minute phone screen with a Sales Manager. Phone screen ADVICE: - Have a set answer as with WHY you want to work for Yelp (culture, growth opps, personality is Yelp, make sure you say that you are an avid Yelp user!) - Have a set answer as to WHY you want to work in sales (challenging, rewarding, commission, etc.) - What skills do you have that will make you successful in sales? (coachable, competitive, etc.) - What motivates you, especially in sales/when you are struggling? (commission, fully stocked kitchen, happy hours, the culture, the co-workers.) - Research Yelp. What awards has Yelp received, etc. - Ask questions. In-person ADVICE: You will have 2-3 in-person interviews at the Yelp office. Basically, all the same questions will be asked above during these interviews. You will then have role play. - During role play, don't stress, make it a conversation. - Implement their feedback, and you will do role play again. They are looking to see if you are coachable. - Dress to impress. - Write down their email, send a thank-you note. Webinar If you make it pass the in-person interviews, you will be asked to attend a webinar. An HR recruiter will go thru the training program, and your career path with Yelp. Good news!

Interview Questions

• I am a pizza parlor in Brooklyn. I have never heard of Yelp. Schedule an appointment.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

Role Playing and Basic interview questions. I was told to pretend to call a manager of a salon and leave a voicemail after three other attempts to reach him/her. They gave me feed back and then i had a skype session. Two people. There was a 25 minute break in between interviews. it was off-putting.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you have grown bored of your work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

They scheduled me for a phone interview which I was told would last 10 minutes. The phone interview which I thought being that it was short wouldn't encompass the questions a real sit-in interview would have. I was wrong. The interview lasted 20 plus minutees and the questions were a lot harder than I had planned for. I was told just to know about the company and the position which I studied and recited perfectly for the interview. But then I was being asked questions that a phone interview shouldn't rely on.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when a previous job will help you be better at this role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in July 2015.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview, thought it was going pretty well until I had to do an awkward role-play. I didn't really want the job anyway, it's underpaid for the amount of work expected. It's basically a telemarketing job. If you really want the job, just read the Glassdoor reviews and practice role-playing.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied and heard back within three days for a phone interview. I thought the person I had spoke to on the phone was very rude. She made it seem as though the cold-calling job was boring and it would be hard to meet the quota.

Interview Questions

• If you are having a bad day at work, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume through campus recruiting. Received an email within 2 days for a phone interview. The phone interview was approximately 15 minutes with questions pertaining to my resume, questions on why I wanted to work in sales, and why Yelp specifically. I read on here to expect a role play during the phone interview, but I was never asked to perform one. I was told right on the spot that I was moving on to the final interview stage. I was given the option of conducting the interview via skype rather than going into their NYC office because I am around 6 hours outside of their NYC office. The skype interview was pretty easy. They just want to make sure that you have strong communication skills, with the capability of conducting yourself well over the phone (this job is exclusively making 100+ cold calls a day to small business owners to sell Yelp's advertising service, a service that is overpriced and hard to sell from what I've gathered.). Within 1-2 days of my skype interview, I was offered to listen in on a webinar with other potential Account Executives. If you are asked to sit in on the webinar, you will eventually be offered the position. I was offered the position, but the base salary was WAY too low for NYC ($36K, without making commission for 3-5 months). Yelp tries to tell potential Account Executives that the "average" 1st year Account Executive makes $55k. In my honest opinion, I think this number is skewed by some of the high performers in the top 10%. Unless you have a lot of money saved up, or still have Mommy and Daddy supplementing your income in a big city, stay away from this position. You can do better...

Application

Interview

Initial phone interview was 15 minutes, with no role play. I was told right on the spot that I was moving on to the final stage of the interview process. I was given the option of a skype interview because I live 6 hours outside of their NYC office. The skype interview was relatively easy and comfortable.I was interviewed by two Sales Managers who appeared to be in their late 20's. I was asked to perform a role during the skype interview to make sure that I possessed strong communication skills. Strong communication skills are required in the role, as you will be required to make 100+ cold calls a day to sell Yelp's overpriced advertising service. I was presented an offer, but the base salary was WAY too low for a big city like NYC ($36K base without making commission for 3-5 months). Yelp tried to convince me that 1st year Account Executives make around $55k a year... I strongly believe that this number is somewhat skewed by top performers. In my opinion, don't take this job unless you have Mommy and Daddy supplementing your income in a big city. And as college graduate, you can do better than working in a glorified call center for a base of $36k...

Junior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Went into the office in NYC. Was interviewed by 2 people (one after the other). Included a role play with both interviewers in which you are asked to be a Yelp Account Executive and try to sell Yelp to a local business. They refuse Yelp services and you have to try to convince them to buy.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Yelp?, How do you overcome adversity and rejection?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I put in an application and got an email back about 2 weeks later asking to set up a 10-15 minute phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. She asked some basic questions about my background and resume. Then we did a short role play. She was a business owner and I had to pretend I worked for Yelp and I was leaving a voicemail to someone I tried to reach two times already. She gave me feedback then I redid the scenario. Afterwards she asked me to come in for an onsite interview in their nyc office. I had three 20 minute interviews. All of them were different role play scenarios so definitely prep yourself for that and study ahead! If you don't you'll struggle because it's a lot of on the spot/think fast type situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you almost quit and ended up persevering.   Answer Question
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.