Engineering manager Interview Questions in Boston, MA | Glassdoor.co.uk

Find jobs for engineering manager

Engineering manager Interview Questions in Boston, MA, US

engineering manager interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

This position has 20 engineers / technical people reporting into it. Since you have only 10 people working for you today, why would you consider yourself qualified for this position.

2 Answers

I am currently the director of engineering for a multibillion dollar company and have acted in the capacity of starting engineering organizations from the ground up and building them to the point of critical mass for the successful integration into the company. You have told me that your organization is in a growth mode and that is the type of organization I am experienced at planning and developing strategy for.

The difference in leading ten and leading twenty isn't in how you lead, but in which other tasks you need to prioritize-down to have the time to lead the additional engineers. Alternatively to prioritizing things off of my lap, I can mentor and coach teammates into most of those tasks over time; I've shown this in my current role by repeatedly coaching individual contributors into leads, and doing so successfully enough to make my team a destination inside the company for talent to transfer *to* instead of transfer *from*.

The President just wanted to get a feel for who I was. Not technical. The Sr. Director dived into my resume and wanted to find errors and holes in it. In hindsight, I believe he was looking for reasons to discount me.

1 Answer

What are the 3 things a project manager needs to succeed?

1 Answer

What is the difference between a good manager and a great manager?

1 Answer

A lot of questions about how you solved workflow issues. This is a growing company operating in a regulated market space. They are experiencing a lot of fast-growth and communication issues as they transition from start-up to large company. If you've been leading/managing for any number of years you should have good experience in transitional companies like this.

1 Answer

Walk me through your resume

1 Answer

What did you learn from some of the people you hired who didn't work out?

1 Answer

Paraphrasing: Describe a situation where you observed things going off the rails on a project and you chose not to take action. What happened, and why did you make that choice?

1 Answer

I was also asked a lot about my hands-on activities as a prior lead and/or manager. In todays market you have to straddle the line a bit between developer and manager. You have to be part architect, arrange and referee code reviews, know about regulated markets, etc..

1 Answer

Watch out for that HR/secretary. Although she was apologetic for leaving me stranded in the waiting room, I suspect it was part of the interview. Just after I was rescued from exile, she put me in a room and started filling out some sort of procedural paperwork. Even after we had exchanged pleasantries in the waiting room and we were using each others names..she asked me what my name was. I repeated it. 5 times she asked me to repeat my name. My name is a simple English name..never have I had so much trouble conveying it to someone. I suspect she was deliberately trying to stress me out to figure out how I respond to obstinate people??? I am operating on the theory that nobody is actually that dumb.