eBay Senior Category Manager Interview Questions

Updated 25 Apr 2009

To filter interviews, or .
Found 1 of over 1.1K interviews

Interviews at eBay

Negative100%
Applied online100%
HardAverageEasy

eBay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at eBay (London, England, England) in Mar 2009

Interview

I applied after seeing the job posting on LinkedIn. I emailed with the recruiter and had a phone conversation/interview - about the role, my current position, etc. I was invited to come in for an interview with the person I would be reporting to. That interview was a basic resume interview, plus a market sizing case related to the role. I was told I would hear back the following week but didn't; when I followed up I was told they wanted to invite me in for a second and final round, consisting of interviews with 3 more people and a presentation on a topic related to the role to all the people I'd interviewed with. This was all supposed to happen in one afternoon but as it happened one interview, with the MD, had to be rescheduled to the day before the other interviews and presentation. That interview was one of the more awkward I've had (beyond typical awkwardness): the MD was aloof. I was fine with that and the interview was going fairly well until one point when, talking about a particular topic, I asked the MD for some examples of what they'd done. She didn't give me specific examples so I asked for some, she still didn't give any, so I asked again and she became (it seemed to me) annoyed/angry ('we're going off on a tangent, we don't need to go into detail'). So I backed off. Then later in the interview she checked her mobile while I was speaking. I was surprised at how unprofessional she seemed given that she was the MD. I got a call later that evening saying that I didn't need to come in the following day as they thought they needed someone with more direct relevant experience, but there was also a comment that they needed someone more 'analytical'...although the interview involved no sort of assessment of analytical skills. That just seemed absolutely ridiculous since I'm one of the most analytical people I know! More importantly I thought it was inconsiderate to have had me go to the trouble of preparing the presentation and then not give me the opportunity to present it. In the end I emailed them the presentation and I also asked for more specific feedback on my performance and (mis)match for the job, but never heard back. Again, unprofessional, I thought. It's just a shame because (a) I know I could have done a very good job in the role (actually I think I am overqualified for it), and (b) it's left a terrible taste in my mouth about this company and it would take a long time before I'd consider working there after this experience.

Interview Questions
  • Value/size the market of the category you'd be managing
    Answer Question
  • How would you improve the product?
4 people found this interview helpful