Platform Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Find jobs for Platform Engineer

Platform Engineer Interview Questions

Platform engineer interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

Write idempotent infrastructure code to an AWS EC2 instance

3 Answers

Any tool was allowed but then they failed my test result because of the tool I have chosen, which is absurd. It turned out the person who reviewed my test was not even a technical person, forget about having any sort of skills in that area!

Don't bother Tom, I'm not interested in your self-righteous opinion. I was provided 7 lines of "feedback", one of which said "If you have to upload a file, it's not really automation". What is this, Linux 101 class? You wanted me to write 1 line of bash script to upload a zip file? If you did, why didn't you make it clear in test? You allegedly gave me freedom over the choice of config mgt tool. Then the feedback said that Puppet is not "the best tool" for the job. Did you ask for "the best" tool? NO! I chose the tool I was most proficient at. Besides, it's declarative not imperative, which is the proper way to do config mgt. Another absurd feedback point: "the server might be in an unknown state". What does that even criticise? I am using industry standard Puppet modules. Are you telling me that the industry standard modules are "not good enough" for the job?? Another one: "The solution only focuses on Apache". There are TWO FILES in the custom code, one for APACHE one for NODE.JS, are you serious?? The description only mentions APACHE and says DON'T MODIFY THE BACKEND, yet I still ensured it's in place. Still a negative point?? What else do you want, SSH config?? Firewall? You're in AWS, what firewall. Was there a SINGLE LINE OF EXPLANATION in the test description??? REALLY CLASSY. You guys have FOUR OUT OF FOUR NEGATIVE REVIEWS of your interview process. Yet your self righteousness gives you the confidence to defend yourselves. Don't waste your time. I'm not a time waster unlike you guys. I have no interest in your response.

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry to hear that our turnaround time for your interview feedback was slower than usual. We do try our best to make the interview experience a positive one and look to provide constructive and detailed feedback as appropriate. I can assure you that a consultant has reviewed your application in detail and the outcome, on this occasion, was correct. We would be happy to provide further information and advice to help your chances of a subsequent application being successful. Kind regards, Tom __________________________ Tom Walton - Director

They asked about if I'd worked with a similar tech stack to what they've got and how I would go about solving certain types of problems. Also some industry trend questions.

design most optimal way of reading 1b very small files and extract most relevant information

How did you automate your infrastructure as code?

REST/RESTful apis and web-service design (oral and whiteboard)

To add a new feature to my cron parser to allow days of the week by name

To discuss how I might go about extracting an identity service from a monolith in a safe way.

containerization with docker and kubernetee.. backup and log management..

1 Answer