Mission: The online marketing industry develops at warp speed. Facebook alone is constantly pushing out new ad formats, targeting techniques and optimization tactics. There’s a severe lack of talent in the market. Advertisers are struggling to recruit and retain professionals ...
I have been working at Smartly.io full-time (Less than a year)
Smarlty.io expects a high level of dedication from the recruitment stage, and that says a lot about the company. With such a strong culture Smartly.io puts in the effort to ensure a good skill and culture match, and it works both ways! All too often it is difficult to determine whether as an employee the culture actually fits, but with the processes in place, reaching the last stage means both sides are a fit!
For all these positive points stated, it can take time to get through the stages of recruitment not to mention preparation work, which can be difficult to accommodate if you're currently employed...
Advice to Management
Best of luck maintaining such a great culture as the business grows, it won't be easy but it feels as a core element of the success of the business to date.
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Smartly.io (New York, NY (US)) in February 2018.
1. Initial phone screen. I've had phone screens with recruiters that knew very little about the role or the industry, but the person I spoke to at Smartly clearly knew what they were talking about, which is nice. 20-30 minute conversation with no preparation involved.
2. Take home assignment about FB advertising. Took me 1-2 hours to finish.
3. On-site knowledge and culture check. The knowledge check covered a wide breadth of topics about FB ads. Questions were also very very specific, which caught me off guard. The culture fit portion was your very run-of-the-mill behavioral questions. Interview took an hour and total preparation time took 4-5 hours of reviewing concepts I was generally already familiar with. Based on feedback from the interviewers, I barely passed this portion.
4. On-site sales demo. Was given access to the Smartly tool and was told to familiarize myself with the features so I could demo it to a potential client in a mock scenario. Demo took 50 minutes and there was some time dedicated to feedback. Total preparation time took 12-18 hours, which left me prepared for the most part in terms of knowing what the features were and where they were in the platform. Was told that I needed to be able to drive the conversation flow more, which I agreed with.
5. Final phone call with management. More culture fit and behavioral questions. Took half an hour.
I appreciate that they tell you on the spot whether or not you've made it to the next round. It definitely sped things up in what I consider to be a long, exhaustive process. I think the interview process is extremely well crafted. Since the expectations at each step are very transparent, I pretty much knew exactly how long I would have to prepare for each step to succeed. I knew it was going to be intense, but I think the process properly vets candidates for this role.
My only possible feedback would be that I felt like some parts of the interview prep wasn't super relevant to the role. However, I could make the case for Smartly that this role requires a candidate that is scrappy and resourceful. I ended up learning to do a lot of things I wasn't originally familiar with so that was fun.
Greg joined our team in Singapore as a Marketing Specialist last month. He's writing a blog series on LinkedIn on how he's learning the ropes at his new job.
"On my first day, I was showered with equipment and swag as well as warm welcomes in varied formats, from basic texts to GIFs, and across the different Smartly.io offices. I discovered my detailed and personalized onboarding program. I was asked to contribute to the Q1 APAC team offsite presentation of knowledge sharing, which fully immersed me into the highly supported learning environment present in Smartly.io, and I felt right at home!"
Automate video ads even from still assets! We are thrilled to announce a new addition to our creative automation suite: Video Templates. Watch learn more on our blog.