2U "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2U Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 8 Jan 2020

3.6
2U Co-Founder and CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek
Pros
  • "Incredibly fun environment (monthly happy hours, snacks, company meeting (great speakers and performers)(in 42 reviews)

• "Very manageable work/life balance(in 38 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Organization is NOT sustainable"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Lanham, MD

I worked at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited PTO, young/progressive culture, work/life balance

Cons

I had the opportunity to work at 2U for over 2 years within the Admissions realm. I noticed someone had written a review with the headline "Stay Away" and I can't stress enough how eerily similar to my experience the review was. This past June, we had our all expense paid company meeting in Las Vegas’ Caesar's Palace. It seemed like no expense was spared although our stock had just plummeted in the market from a $90/share valuation to about $12/share. That should have probably been the first sign to the company that they needed to reevaluate how money was being spent. In the midst of all of this, 2U was hit with major civil action lawsuits as it became clear our CEO had shadily not told our investors that we were going to rescale and not roll out as many programs as we had intended. As a result, Wall Street shafted us and everyone who has common sense decided to pull out of the stock. I wish I had never made the decision to opt into our stock purchase plan as a lost over a k myself. The CEO tried to reassure us that this wasn't an issue and that business would be moving forward as usual (MASSIVE RED FLAG as things needed to change). During the company meeting, a lot of frustration was aired by employees towards management. During one of the Q&A sessions with our C-Suite leadership, one of the questions that was upvoted the most was "why do incompetent people get promoted within the company?" This was an omen of things to come because a few months later, 70+ employees within the Admissions middle management were fired. This was a result of our leadership realizing that most of these people had few tangible skills that differed from the Admissions Counselors they were overviewing and that much of the hiring practices in getting these people into these positions was based mainly on nepotism and not merit. If I had a dollar for every time a qualified employee was passed over for a promotion because ‘x’ director or hiring manager spent time outside of work with ‘x’ person, I would have a lot more money in my savings right now. One tangible way to represent this is the fact that the majority of Admissions in HQ (Lanham, MD) is PoC but there is only one(!!) out of a dozen or so people who represent Admissions at the top layer who is a PoC. This company clearly does not understand how to spend money, develop or promote talent, and is not sustainable moving into the future. I am taking the time to write up this review as someone who left the company of their own free will and felt a massive burden come off their shoulders as a result. It seems that 2U’s solution these last few years in the market has been to buy our competitors at every turn but what happens when you don’t have the assets to acquire competition? You either adapt and become sustainable or get stepped all over and become obsolete. I see the latter as the most likely as Chip, the CEO, is just an average white dude and not a visionary. The reason that 2U is still viable is because of the tech platform that it provides to institutions but, as competition in this industry continues to grow, 2U will ultimately will fall by the wayside. I would give it 5-10 years MAX before Chip sells this company. If you are looking for an entry level job where you won’t have to struggle too much in terms of a work / life balance, get paid $50K per year, and don’t mind dealing with incompetence, this might be a great job for you. However, if you are passionate about Admissions, please know that Ed Tech is a growing industry and you can find competitive offers elsewhere that might also pay commission. And no 2U, I will not give you the time of day to contact your feedback department.

Advice to Management

You might not think it but you're working for a corporation and they cut ties with no remorse. Would recommend looking externally.

2U2020-01-08

"Mission-driven company that cares"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent work-life balance, healthy work environment and culture, strong leadership, inspiring company mission, great pay and benefits

Cons

No cons to speak of, this has been the best company I've worked for in 15+ years. If anything, I would suggest a better 401K plan.

Advice to Management

I've been with 2U since its early days and have had the opportunity to experience the company's rapid growth while working in a number of departments and business functions. By far, this has been one of the best places I've worked. I've referred a small group of family/friends since I joined and they have also had positive experiences.

2U2019-12-16

"There's no place I'd rather be."

Current Employee - Coordinator in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

I’ve been at 2U for almost three years now, and there isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t feel incredibly fortunate to be a part of such a passionate, mission-driven organization. I could write a novel about all of the reasons I love working at this company, but here’s a snapshot: 1. Management is unbelievably dedicated to their team members’ growth, both individually and collectively. 2. Company leadership encourages and cultivates a highly collaborative environment where everyone feels heard, respected, and valued–but they also encourage the individuals on their teams to be independent and take ownership/credit where it is well-deserved. Your hard work will never go unnoticed or unrecognized here! 3. This company is a huge proponent of work-life balance. Sure, there are times where you may experience some late nights, as with any job–but at 2U, that’s not only balanced with our unlimited PTO benefit, but also the ability and flexibility to work from home when you need to! 4. Though this is a big company, 2U ensures everyone feels heard. It’s clear they invest a lot of time and energy into employee morale, because they genuinely strive for everyone to WANT to come to work every day. 5. The office culture is the perfect blend of hardworking and relaxed. Everyone here works passionately and tirelessly to help further 2U’s mission–and we are able to do so in jeans while munching on free snacks and seltzer in a gorgeous, 2U-branded office space. These are just some of the many reasons why this company is such a great place to work. I couldn't be more proud to be a "2Ute." There’s truly no place I’d rather be!

Cons

No cons come to mind honestly–this is the best job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

Continue practicing transparency and open communication as you have been. It makes all the difference.

2U2019-12-16

"Great people and strong mission"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Co-workers are smart, innovative, and inclusive -Good perks/benefits including unlimited PTO and parental leave -Strong mission, powering higher education in many forms -Passionate and engaged leadership -Robust remote employee base, which shows trust in employees and an emphasis on flexibility and work/life balance

Cons

-It's not a typical 9-5, as deadlines can cause occasional long nights and short weekends -Typical growing pains for a company that grew so fast, so quick -Inconsistent promotion/raise structure, each department seems to have their own system for upward mobility and recognition

Advice to Management

Continue bringing in experienced, diverse leaders from outside the organization. That recent trend has lead to many wins and made us stronger.

2U2019-12-14
  5. "Truly a great place to work"

Current Employee - Placement

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Collaboration with teammates and managers. The work is tough but you never feel you are alone. Everyone pitches in. Not a cut-throat environment. - Management takes the time to talk to everyone - Great leaders who care about the mission, culture, and employees - Good benefits, especially the Unlimited Time Off

Cons

- The place is getting big. More communication is needed about where the company is going on a regular basis. - 401k matching - Work-life balance can be tough at times with deadlines

Advice to Management

Keep up the visibility and communication. Do more of it during times of change like we are now.

2U2019-12-17

"Was sad to be let go due to the company benefits"

Former Employee - Director of Admissions

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people surrounding you every day, the work-life balance, the benefits, paid parental leave

Cons

Quick advancement without training causing animosity among a younger working staff. Hush-Hush at the top despite guiding principle of being candid, open and honest. Lack of support from key stakeholders when things really got touch. School partnerships strained by off-target enrollment goals. Finance department creating goals for admissions teams when they are so out of touch of what is actually happening in the program space. Lay-offs of all admissions directors back in September without notice or warning, and a lack of communication provided to the members on those teams.

2U2019-11-13

"Great company with great people"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer

I have been working at 2U full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance with unlimited PTO

Cons

Tends to lean to the extreme left politically which is never good for any company to be that open about politics.

2U2019-09-10

"Enjoyed working here"

Former Employee - Admission Counselor

I worked at 2U full-time

Pros

great experience and great work life balance

Cons

management needs better training. too much kool-aid

2U2019-09-09
  9. "Great work/life balance"

Former Intern - Social Media Coordinator in Lanham, MD

I worked at 2U for less than a year

Pros

Their work/life balance is great! Everyone is very nice too.

Cons

Can be boring working for Ed tech at times

2U2019-09-05
  10. "Great Place to Work and Learn"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hugely talented group of people in their tech office, very collaborative and friendly atmosphere. Work/Life balance is respected and the management takes employee satisfaction seriously.

Cons

It can hard to break into the inner circle and squeeky wheels get greased more than they should, not much else to complain about.

Advice to Management

2U prides itself on the quality of the people they hire, take pride in seeing those same people through to the next levels. Too many great people are lost because the company continues to look to outside hires than promoting from within.

2U2019-08-28